Seaside Miniature Railway at the Stade, Hastings

bertiedog

Views of the Fishermans Museum Building, to be sited at top of the beach, drawing being produced to scale it to fit space, Depron, wood and stone finishes. Top shot justifies having the sail boat on display with the sails fully set, rather than furled up.

post-6750-12593600956868_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12593601094808_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12593601525906_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12593601773152_thumb.jpg

post-6750-1259360197631_thumb.jpg

Stephen

A small diversion from the Hastings Boat theme, as I was browsing Ebay, I spotted this very nice Clyde Puffer ship model, a wooden Far eastern model, in O scale size, at ??9.95!!!

About 16 inch long, quite detailed, well finished, but worth a spot of re-working and detailing up. the hull has the right lines, albeit a bit shallower in draught than most real hulls. The bridge roof was far too large and needed cutting down, and the windows are a bit small as well, but left for the moment.

The rudder is now on the right way up!, and the fluffy cotton cord replaced with woven black silk. Most of the brass eyelets are replaced with small cast ones, and some cast details added like a door for the engineer to get into the engine house!... coalholes, ladders, steering gear cover plates etc.

A few items have been moved to the correct positions, and further work is planned like block and pulleys and proper rigging. The rear handrails could also be worth replacing with a scale brass one with two rails, the current one is single wire in split pins, neat but too low.

The rowing boat has been stripped of paint, and will be stained and varnished. Very nicely detailed with paddles etc inside.

The crew with be sourced, and some lettering for The Vital Spark, Port of Glasgow, as the model Puffer is pretty near the type that Hugh Foulis wrote about in the famous Para Handy Stories.

Nothing has been re-painted as yet except the roof of the bridge, which was sanded to size and filled, then stained black. The unpainted white metal parts are visible in the shots, bases for the vents, buckets, eyelets, and lots of detail castings.

So a quayside 7mm shunting layout will be needed?!!!!

post-6750-12597074192089_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597074402183_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597074501466_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597074695814_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597074793675_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597074927789_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597075038805_thumb.jpg

post-6750-1259707509335_thumb.jpg

post-6750-1259707516984_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12597075203571_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

Arrived via Ebay......

Some shots of the Tomy Tomytec 9mm bogie electric locomotive chassis, Made in Japan, two bogie, one powered, by a flywheel and universal joint from a small can motor. There is one tyre on the driven chassis, and all wheel sprung pickup. The unit come with spare sideframes, three styles, and add on Arnold style couplers, standard N gauge.

Runs very well, requires about 10 grams weight added to compress the springs, it comes with a weight that clips on. it is all made of Delrin or Hardlon plastic, very tough. The gears and wheels are very accurate, the only query are the flanges that are bigger than NMRA specifications, but are smaller than most wheels on the UK market.

This is going to have a Diesel Railcar built to fit, as per previously posted picture drawing on this thread.

post-6750-12603082055352_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12603082074698_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12603081972218_thumb.jpg

post-6750-1260308198742_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12603082009824_thumb.jpg

post-6750-12603082030282_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

And Ebay strikes again .....at 99p ! another suitable 7mm scale Wooden Trawler boat for the beach, complete with nets, must be about full up now, looking for Caterpillar tracked Tractors in O scale, (lots at ??25+!!!), must be some toy ones around...Ertl?

post-6750-12603101183286_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

post-6750-12605718163822_thumb.jpg

Outline of the Rock-a-nore Railcar altered a bit more to suit the Tomy Tomytec Bo-Bo diesel chassis. Cutting out parts at the moment, should have body done over weekend. Figures will have to cover the motor and weight

There is quite a bit of space for ballast weight, along the chassis and the outer undersides of the body behind the solebars. The body is plastic, with a veneer covering in oak strips, with a removable wooden roof in ship planking for the curved top. Brass door fittings, handles and hinges, and slide glass windows.

Stephen.

Shot of the re-built Clyde Puffer Vital Spark, with extra detailing and rigging, reduced vents, and re-built bridge, with wheel and interior, now painted in more correct colours. Pulleys etc have beeb added, as well as davit and winch for the anchor lifting. The head looks better now, less like an Aussie dunny!

Lettering still to be sourced and final details like the funnel braces to go back on.

I am not using it on the Hastings layout, but will be using it on a small O gauge layout later this year.

post-6750-12607277352331_thumb.jpg

Stephen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was down near the rock a nore yesterday on a callout and thought I would have a coffee and wander round the line to see how your layout will compare. When did the line disappear??????

Kev

I had heard there was a closure , but no details, any body else know?

I used to work on this during the long school holidays, back in the 60's.. The Scot & Saint just stood in the shed at that time, & the entire traffic was worked by 'Firefly', an 0-6-0 which had started out as a pannier tank, but ended up looking like a 'Dean goods', painted a sort of mustardy yellow... I can still smell the carbon & hot oil in my mind's eye....

The use of 'dozers for hauling the boats is a recent phenomenon,- in the days of steam operation on the railway, the boats were hauled up the beach by cable, from the various winch houses (huts) on the beach. A couple were still steam powered when I was small, but most used second-hand diesel lorry engines,- the 'boy ashore' running the cable (hawser) out to the waiting boat, which was then dragged up the beach on a succesion of wood baulks.. (Might be possible to make this a working feature?) We local urchins would follow the boats up the beach, as the fishermen would chuck the undersize catch over the side, which we quickly wrapped in old newspaper before the gulls could get it, & took home to mum... Lovely stuff!

Any news about the line, rumours range from maintenance, track removal being done, to complete closure, pending removal of the track? I am asking you as I think you said you are local, and there is nothing on the net about the lines demise.....or not.

Stephen

No sign of its demise here:

http://www.miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk/Hastings.html

and these words from August 2008:

I went to Hastings today (Wednesday) and had a chat with the guy operating the railway. The story is that the Keef loco was playing up a lot early in the season and repairs would need the body to be removed. As the body was going to be dismantled he thought he would have a go at designing and building a new body more in keeping with a steam loco than the rather angular Keef thing. So it is a rebuild of the Keef loco done in-house at Hastings. Apparently it has proved very popular with the kids - not least because it is now blue, and the rebuilt body makes servicing etc. easier. During the winter the 7 coach set was also repainted into a standard livery with Hastings Miniature Railway logos. There are another 5 coaches available for service if needed but the operator is really looking for a second loco or at least a chassis (0-4-0/0-6-0) similar to the existing Keef. He doesn't want steam as IC is much easier on that kind of line. If anyone knows of such an animal can they let me know and I will pass the information on.

I have to say that the railway is looking very much better than it has for years with new signage, livery etc.

Hopefully it is winter maintenance

Cheers

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...

I was talking with a member of staff at the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery yesterday when I was over there on a call, apparently the track has been lifted whilst renovation of the whole stade area is taking place. The track will be replaced and the railway will be back in operation.

Kev

I was talking with a member of staff at the Hastings Museum and Art Gallery yesterday when I was over there on a call, apparently the track has been lifted whilst renovation of the whole stade area is taking place. The track will be replaced and the railway will be back in operation.

Kev

H'mmm.... may be connected with the plan for the Art gallery, I hope the return is possible, things happen whilst plans like this evolve, and Hastings Council do not carry through plans to completion very often, look at the pier!

The Gallery plans were altered due to findings on the full details of the Royal Charter the Stade operates on, perhaps moving the art gallery crosses the track, which is only partially on the Charter part.

Still a bit worried, not just for the Railway, but the Stade area in general, it is worth many, many millions as say a Marina with luxury housing, potentially a huge earner for any developers, and the Council.

Stephen.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived