Whinburgh and Slitrigg - Main line across the border

coronach

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the houses of Wilton Hill Terrace behind!  Lovely work!

Thank you Mr Worralls, I'm pleased you like my picture :-).  I do not know Hawick - it is nice to know the name of the street

I just happened upon this thread this evening, I am very impressed by the weathering which is some of the most realistic I have seen. On the short video clips I was likewise impressed by the clickety clack of the wheels over rail joints they seemed remarkably loud and realistic. I haven't yet investigated the earliest pages which may have said what the track base is and I wonder if that is the reason for the sound.

Brilliant modelling sir!

Edward

• RMweb Premium

I have now looked at page 1 and see how you make the realistic clickety clack, I should have taken the time to go through from the start! Is the notch a V shape?

Edward

Edward

I measure the rail joints at 60ft and use a half-moon file.  The notch has to be wide enough to allow the wheel to drop in slightly and 'hit' the rail.

The track is a mixture of SMP scaleway finescale flexi-track and handmade soldered track using n/s rail and copper-clad paxilin sleepers.  I think the DMU is on the SMP track.  The basebaord is 6mm ply, with 3mm cork sheet glued on top.  The track is pinned to that and then stone ballast is fixed using the traditional PVA/water mix.  The result is very solid!! 

If you are interested in the sound implications, I started another page - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91707-diddly-dum/page-1.

Thanks for your kind comments.  Its all about good fun at the end of the day :-)

Edited by coronach

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info, just a couple of questions, how wide is the half moon file and how deep are the half moon depressions?

The effect really is impressive!

Edward

I used a small needle file to take off the top of the rail head - a depression about 2 mm long and 1 mm deep should do.  I suggest you use trial and error.  In my experience, it doesn't weaken the track or cause derailments - even on a sharp curve.  The other thing I do is weather the track - the rails are painted a dark rust/track colour mix and then at each rail joint I paint on the fishplate using railmatch 'roof dirt'.  This gives the impression of recently oiled fishplates and tends to hide the depression in the rail head.  P way maintenance includes loosening, oiling and retightening every fishplate every year or so..  The oil is really heavy, thick and black.  

C

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The eye consciously ignores the part-finished aspect of this layout, so well does it speak of time and place. You have made a beautiful job of Firth of Clyde too.

I am also interested to hear that the Peter Handford recordings are available online - I'll have to look that up.

If you aren't already aware, Transacord has a new website, where it is possible to download MP3 versions of the Peter Handford albums, including 'Railways to Riccarton'.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not very much happening in the loft lately - the plan is to finish the plastering and start work on detailing the scenery around Whinburgh station.

In the meantime, I have built a ratio SR bogie van.  As a schoolboy, I enjoyed watching parcels vans being shunted at the back of York station.  These vans ran until the early 1980s, when BR closed down the C&D parcels business.  They were blue by then but this one is in green (Allegedly!) and covered in chalk marks.

post-11545-0-52768800-1430120718_thumb.jpg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Not very much happening in the loft lately - the plan is to finish the plastering and start work on detailing the scenery around Whinburgh station.

In the meantime, I have built a ratio SR bogie van.  As a schoolboy, I enjoyed watching parcels vans being shunted at the back of York station.  These vans ran until the early 1980s, when BR closed down the C&D parcels business.  They were blue by then but this one is in green (Allegedly!) and covered in chalk marks.

post-11545-0-21300500-1430124417_thumb.jpg

The second van is a Kirk kit, which will be finished as a pigeon van

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Its getting there - a bit more progress with the scenery.  And a northbound freight heaves its way up the last few yards to the summit at Whinburgh station. 

post-11545-0-72735400-1433778847_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-99062900-1433778887_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-45392100-1433778917_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-24262300-1433778945_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-43267600-1433778978_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here is Hornby B1 61243 returned to a more typical 'St Margaret's' condition. 

attachicon.gifB1-1.jpgattachicon.gifB1-2.jpgattachicon.gifB1-3.jpgattachicon.gifB1-4.jpgattachicon.gifB1-5.jpg

I think that the weathering simply emphasises the extraordinary level of detail on this 'straight out of the box' Hornby ready to run loco.  

Just some dry brushing with Railmatch acrylics 'frame dirt', 'roof dirt', a touch of 'brake dust' and 'light rust', a small amount of weathering powder, some real coal in the tender and some streaks of Humbrol varnish to represent water overflows .  No more than one hour to do.

Hi Coronach,

I have just spent  the last few evenings reading through your thread and very enjoyable too. The layout and stock just looks spot on and the whole layout has a great feel to it.

Looking forwards to more updates a superb layout.

Cheers Peter.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Like the viaduct (well, like it all actually!). A homage to Shankend perhaps? Look forward to seeing it finished ... one day!

I hope to have a trip on the new Borders line next week on my way back from a meeting in Glasgow.  Its ironic that I have never visited the area that I am modelling !

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The layout is still progressing slowly and steadily, with emphasis on constructing scenery.  Here are some recent pics of train operations around Whinburgh and Slitrigg.

post-11545-0-29455000-1470223147_thumb.jpg

Hornby Black 5 climbs steadily towards Whitrope summit with a partially fitted freight

post-11545-0-75263400-1470223158_thumb.jpg

Hornby K1 waits at Whinburgh, ready to depart southwards with the daily pickup goods

post-11545-0-78568100-1470223188_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-87569200-1470223211_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-21459400-1470223226_thumb.jpg

Replacing a failed Sulzer type 4 diesel, Bachmann Jubilee climbs the last few yards with the Down 'Waverley'.  Bachmann J39 0-6-0 is banking at the rear and drops off the back as the train reaches Whinburgh station

Edited by coronach
  • Like 4