Whinburgh and Slitrigg - Main line across the border

coronach

• RMweb Premium

I picked up three second hand books last week - Steam in Scotland Parts 1 & 2 and Roaming the Scottish Rails - all of which are full of photographs by two of the photographers that inspired my interest in northern steam: WJV Anderson and Derek Cross.  They all date from the late 60s and early 70s with a quality that doesn't disappoint, including captions that, although short, take the reader into the image.  One of the photos that I like is of two 'Crabs' hauling a ballast train departing a station on the Glasgow - Stranraer line in 1965 with a caption that explains that although they were in poor mechanical condition, they got over the 1:54 gradient on the curving single line without a problem.  A week later, the train was hauled by a Black 5 and a Standard 5 because the Ayr shed master didn't want to risk two using Crabs again, but this time the train had to stop half way up for a 'blow-up' for 30 minutes! 

Another thing I learned was that the Rev W Awdry story about Donald and Douglas was based on the pair of Caley 0-6-0s that worked a colliery train in Ayrshire.  Heavier locos were banned from the line so the old locos were retained - trhe working was known as 'The Twins' - fascinating :)

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much modelling recently due to roof repairs and taking on a Labrador pup !!!  I was hoping to receive 78047 from Hornby in December but Hawick shed will have to wait another year according to my supplier. However I have started a new drawing based on a WJV Anderson photo of the Killin Branch in 1965. Still work in progress …..

CAE5D514-6C08-4187-BC53-C840CCAF6B17.jpeg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The new Bachmann V2 has been weathered and put to work on a semi fast express train. Runs beautifully and it is a lovely model - worth the wait

A1F1D5DE-2D16-49F2-B38E-2CA58140151A.jpeg

68D0B70D-82B3-4CC2-9AB7-D24EE31FDF3A.jpeg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 61656 said:

Is a V2 the most elegantly proportioned loco ever? Even in run down 1960’s grime they still exude elegance. Love it!

December 1999 - I travelled behind 60800 from Preston to Carlisle via S&C and back over Shap. 13 coaches - fantastic performance from what is a fairly small loco in the European context - such a train would be rostered for a 4-8-2 in France !  

I remember that it was really really cold with the coach window open. The sound of the V2 in this video is as close to the sound of the Waverley Route as you can get I think - recalling Peter Handfords recordings of V2s at Stobbs. 

Edited by coronach
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, coronach said:

December 1999 - I travelled behind 60800 from Preston to Carlisle via S&C and back over Shap. 13 coaches - fantastic performance from what is a fairly small loco in the European context - such a train would be rostered for a 4-8-2 in France !  

I remember that it was really really cold with the coach window open. The sound of the V2 in this video is as close to the sound of the Waverley Route as you can get I think - recalling Peter Handfords recordings of V2s at Stobbs. 

The lady sitting at the table opposite commented to her husband during the southbound climb to Shap that the loco exhaust beat was like ‘womb music’. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

AD9F7FC6-63AB-452C-9770-F72F846CE421.jpeg.4278ef6c1aae2f89facc33de63cd9964.jpegAs far as I know, the NBL type 2s didn’t stray any further along the Waverley Route than Millerhill Yard but they are an interesting loco so I bend history so that they did ….  This is a rather dirty reengined Class 29 as it might have looked at the time the line was closed in 1969

AD9F7FC6-63AB-452C-9770-F72F846CE421.jpeg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

E38FE77B-AF59-4DE0-8917-C651F8B1A2CD.jpeg.8d7d548eac3c3469436cb4b79530ae06.jpeg

Just a quick picture to show that W&S is still alive and kicking. A test run has revealed a few dry joint faults and the need to clean the track, otherwise all appears to be ok. F7C53D5B-A32E-4146-9FE6-10B48A0E6E87.jpeg.570a1d923a4e33f56ac6a9bcb9d1ef83.jpeg

Hawick PWay has inherited a 6-wheel staff and mess van from Hattons, which will help when relaying takes place - warmer and a bit more comfortable than the Shark ballast brake. 
CEBAEDC7-30EC-4ED9-8431-48CDE780BD8E.jpeg.db131e139e1630be46faec2d03e1b182.jpeg

A new addition to the fold is a diesel brake tender. From what I am told, these vehicles did not operate over the Waverley Route, I assume because by the time diesels took over in the mid 60s, the freights were fully fitted, however I think this one is necessary for the type 2 to manage an unfitted train of steel bolster wagons. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Not impressed with Hornby quality control. Just weathering the A2/3 to disguise the awful shade of green with St Margaret’s best makeup,  which has revealed a wonky face grrr!  The front end doesn’t appear to be a loose fit and I don’t want to make things worse by damaging the front end. Any suggestions?C54952E8-7C15-4C5F-BC49-13CBA4BE8946.jpeg.e8ad3489c066409df5e7aeeb62e28a0b.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I suggest taking the body off. Then use a long file, I used a triangular one, by placing one end against the inside of the smokebox door and use a toffee hammer at the other end quite gently and that should remove the door.

You can then make any adjustments to the detail and replace it straight.

Eric

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 60027Merlin said:

I suggest taking the body off. Then use a long file, I used a triangular one, by placing one end against the inside of the smokebox door and use a toffee hammer at the other end quite gently and that should remove the door.

You can then make any adjustments to the detail and replace it straight.

Eric

Did you have the same issue?

• RMweb Premium

No. the smokebox door was straight but required changing.

I had purchased Steady Aim which was the early emblem version with the smokebox number plate higher than the strapping. This required it to be removed and a new one fitted lower down plus a new lamp iron. I also replaced the B.R. emblem on the tender with the later one plus an identity change.  Photo below.

From memory the removal was easy but it may depend on how much glue Hornby use for each model.

Eric

A2.360516Hycilla(20).JPG.ea47db8f9e48b093b20b8077a85654c7.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2023 at 14:42, coronach said:

Not impressed with Hornby quality control. Just weathering the A2/3 to disguise the awful shade of green with St Margaret’s best makeup,  which has revealed a wonky face grrr!  The front end doesn’t appear to be a loose fit and I don’t want to make things worse by damaging the front end. Any suggestions?

Well I managed to get the body off and then separated the running plate from the boiler. A mini screwdriver managed to release the smoke box front from the base of the smoke box without causing any damage. It was simply a case of reassembling the loco and we are back in business. F4BBE040-7C03-4519-B7EA-F895CAB85E72.jpeg.e7e3085407429ba42d170008bed0678c.jpeg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a set of nameplates from Jackson Evans in December. They were happy to take the payment but they haven’t delivered yet. My account shows the order still in progress. Are they waiting for sufficient orders to justify a manufacturing run?

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, coronach said:

I ordered a set of nameplates from Jackson Evans in December. They were happy to take the payment but they haven’t delivered yet. My account shows the order still in progress. Are they waiting for sufficient orders to justify a manufacturing run?

• 2 months later...