Whinburgh and Slitrigg - Main line across the border

coronach

• RMweb Premium

I have just finished the next scenery module, which includes the tunnel mouth at the Whitrope SB end. Another small module is now being constructed to link the tunnel module and signal box module, which will be a huge step towards the completion of the scenery in this corner of the layout. I will post some new photos soon.

The next tasks will be to ballast the track and then to connect up the semaphore signals. Currently, Whitrope siding Up starting signal is a 3-aspect colour light at the entrance to the tunnel . This is because (in my world), it also acts as Whinburgh North Up distant signal and a semaphore signal would be difficult to work mechanically through the tunnel. I may eventually decide to replace it with a semaphore stop and 'motor-worked' distant signal, which would look better

I have also relaid the cross-over at Whitrope siding and rewired the panel so that southbound heavy freight and passenger trains can be banked as far as the tunnel mouth. The party-piece on this analogue layout is to drop the banker off at the tunnel mouth and then reverse it over the crossover onto the down line, whilst the rest of the train continues on its journey. I have done this by splitting the up line so that it may be controlled using two different controllers. As soon as the leading engine enters the tunnel, it is on a different controller to the banker, which means that the two can be controlled independently.

The banking engine can either be stabled in the siding at Whitrope until there is a clear path, or it can return immediately to the bottom of the bank. It is good fun to do but when the layout is operated on my own, it involves a lot of running about between panels!!!!!

• Like 1

Nice to get a progress update, I for one will never tire of seeing pictures of any progress you make.

Feel free to post as many pictures as you can be bothered, as a fellow Waverley Route modeller I find this layout hugely inspirational, albeit in the wrong scale!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-11545-0-18973700-1329515512_thumb.jpg

And now (2) J39 64812 waits for a clear path down the bank

post-11545-0-99911100-1329515624_thumb.jpg

Clayton type 1 reaches the summit at Whitrope tunnel

post-11545-0-39429100-1329515746_thumb.jpg

A3 Pacific St Gatien runs onto the viaduct whilst passing Whitrope Up Starting signal

post-11545-0-38473100-1329515853_thumb.jpg

And a few moments earlier at the SB

post-11545-0-60716900-1329515968_thumb.jpg

Clayton type 1 climbs past grazing sheep with a fully fitted freight

post-11545-0-67778300-1329516126_thumb.jpg

A couple of 12T vans wait the shunter at Slitrigg

post-11545-0-43559600-1329516157_thumb.jpg

St Gatien struggles up the final few yards of the climb into Whinburgh station with a semi fast train for Edinburgh Waverley

post-11545-0-43312000-1329516277_thumb.jpg

An Ivatt 4MT and Jubilee climb the bank towards Whitrope with an up TPO

post-11545-0-08911800-1329516407_thumb.jpg

Tweedmouth 2MT shunts an Officer's special at Whitrope Siding

post-11545-0-33518900-1329516521_thumb.jpg

And a while later, in the yard at Slitrigg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

post-11545-0-25414300-1329580553_thumb.jpg

This shows one of the new scenery modules installed on the layout. As I mentioned before, it is much more comfortable (and sociable) to build the scenery downstairs using a strong cardboard base as a template. The completed modules are then fitted to the layout.

post-11545-0-84589000-1329580763_thumb.jpg

Obviously, there is a gap between each module (shown here), which will be filled and detailed on a warm evening!

My current method of building scenery is to use cardboard formers covered with a lattice of card from cereal packets. This allows some flexibility in shape and is strong. The surface is then built up from kitchen towel soaked in plaster (a bit like plaster of paris), which is worked and shaped into the required contours. When dry, the solid surface is painted brown and sprinkled with scatter, foliage etc. Finally, I drip diluted PVA glue into the foliage to 'fix' it and add further material to build up some depth. I am pleased with the result. One of the benefits of modelling the Waverley route in the 1960a is the distinct absence of trees. Ironically, these days, much of the route is surrounded by Coniferous forest!

Edited by coronach
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The Clayton approaches the camera over the viaduct at the same time passing a passenger train heading for Edinburgh Waverley

post-11545-0-60573700-1329749967_thumb.jpg

The coach nearest the camera is one half of a Mailcoach Gresley Tourist Stock articulated pair

Edited by coronach
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Excellent progress, I'm jealous that my own rendition of Whitrope is nowhere near as advanced

Thanks for your interest Kevin. It is interesting to find that someone else is modelling the same location and I was interested to see your blog items.

I am working on more scenery at the moment, the objective being to capture the open moorland and wilderness that was Whitrope before the forestry commission planted all the trees!!. I hope to reach a point soon where it will be worthwhile posting some more up to date photos.

Edited by coronach

• RMweb Premium

post-11545-0-45645400-1328705719_thumb.jpg

Then and now(1). A very early layout photo September 2006. Note the end of the line!

And the same view today - having said that, its not a lot of progress in 6 years!post-11545-0-00163900-1334506467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Up 'Queen of Scots' Pullman is diverted via Whinburgh and Slitrigg, hauled by a Haymarket EE Type 4 (but ignore the headcode!):

post-11545-0-60645100-1334506725_thumb.jpgpost-11545-0-22624500-1334506636_thumb.jpgpost-11545-0-51848400-1334506690_thumb.jpg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 5

I feel I should comment on this, having appreciated your work for some time and not having broken cover.

Your work is top notch, the scenic modules are an interesting way of building up a loft layout without spending hours in the loft, and blend together amazingly well, to create an atmosphere that is, both in colour and texture, signature Waverley Route. You could look at any section of the layout without a train present and it would be immediately identifiable!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next update.

• RMweb Premium

I feel I should comment on this, having appreciated your work for some time and not having broken cover.

Your work is top notch, the scenic modules are an interesting way of building up a loft layout without spending hours in the loft, and blend together amazingly well, to create an atmosphere that is, both in colour and texture, signature Waverley Route. You could look at any section of the layout without a train present and it would be immediately identifiable!

Keep up the good work, I look forward to your next update.

Thank you Chris. I am pleased with the 'emerging' landscape. I'm determined not to rush things and just let it happen! Effort this Spring is focussed on the Whitrope corner of the layout - however I am really bad at finishing things. Hopefully the progress I have made, and now the incentive of publishing pictures on RMWeb, will encourage me to properly complete Whitrope and then either move on to the Viaduct area or complete the scenery at the other end of the tunnel, including the river bridge.

I had a look at your layout page. The layout concept is very interesting and the weathered blue diesels etc look really good. I look forward to seeing more.

Richard

Edited by coronach

• RMweb Premium

Here the Down Waverley approaches the bridge over the B6399 at Whitrope siding. Hopefully the bus will stop before it reaches the flock of sheep!

post-11545-0-85356800-1335462618_thumb.jpg

post-11545-0-54830000-1335462836_thumb.jpg

Standard class 4 2-6-0 76109 approaches Whitrope Siding SB hauling a local stopping service.

post-11545-0-67638900-1335462692_thumb.jpg

Edited by coronach
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

How long have you been building the layout? You have all the basics in place and the potential to produce a sensational landscape. The view of the viaduct, hillside and passing 2-6-0 should be inspiration enough.

Very enjoyable and something I can relate to as my last effort - about to be scrapped - took 8 years!

Jeff

Excellent layout Coronach. Can I ask whether your loft has had any "special treatment" (insulation between the rafters, etc) to help with climatic variations? Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Excellent layout Coronach. Can I ask whether your loft has had any "special treatment" (insulation between the rafters, etc) to help with climatic variations? Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Brian.

I strengthened the joists when I floored the loft and have put some hardboard in the roof to prevent dirt from dropping through but otherwise nothing. Temperature does vary but it isnt a serious problem.