N gauge 21 tonne hoppers

westoe kid

I'am looking for a quantity of 21 tonners for my Westoe Colliery layout, I know they are out of production but just a long shot if any of you have seen some in a shop or have some for sale contact me, it wouldn't really matter what livery they are in as they will be repainted into NCB red, or indeed has anyone heard if there is likey to be a re-run of these, seems to be a popular model, they are fetching silly prices on ebay, just missed 3 tonight!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

The shop at Buckfastleigh on South Devon Railway had a load on Saturday, various liveries.

Still at 20% off?

• RMweb Premium

Still at 20% off?

Possibly, but the prices seemed to be all over the place. However I think they were quoting 5% off for 2 items of rolling stock, or 10% off for 4. They would still have been more expensive than the box shifters, but I'd rather give the money to a preserved line personally.

Last week Frizinghall Models Bradford had some in British Steel and Household Coal livery in the display cabinet saying alternative numbers were avaliable. No idea how many they have but maybe worth a call?

• RMweb Gold

Hi I have used a mix of Society kits and Dapol to make up HTV rake. Luckily I was able to obtain chassis for NGS kit from Dapol, the kit chassis is a tad short and affects coupling location. I altered a couple of bodies to give the rebodied version with only three bodyside braces. The NGS detail kits help lift the simple Dapol body.

Robert

• RMweb Premium

To be thoroughly pedantic, the Dapol model isn't quite correct for the hoppers built in the mid 1950s for the Harton system, though close enough to give a good likeness in N gauge once repainted (and the NCB red is so much more appealing than BR grey!).

The original bodies of the Harton wagons were a slightly different shape with deeper flat sides and ends, the flat ends actually extending below the sides (the opposite of the LNER design). They were rebodied in the 1970s in a style which appears to my inexpert eye almost identical to BR rebuilds. I don't think there were any wagons similar to the original welded design represented by the NGS kit, though the underframe and detailing kits might be of use.

In both conditions, instead of the deep hoppers extending below the solebars carried by the LNER wagons, they had a flat floor at solebar level with (I think) eight bottom doors - like an NER 20t hopper - which allowed them to be teamed much more rapidly at the staithes. BR wagons were disliked by the teamers who were on piece rates!

Information from the Harton Electric Railway (Oakwood Press) which is an excellent little book.

Some photos on the web:

http://www.geoffspages.co.uk/raildiary/westoe/index.htm - both kinds of wagons shown

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/location.php?loc=Harton%20Coal%20Company - again both types

http://www.dunn247.co.uk/page%20284/Page%20284%20002.jpg - one of the original bodies

Harton Colliery Electric Railway System - rebuilt wagons showing the empty space below solebar level

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/hawthornwagons - similar wagons on Paul Bartlett's site; I haven't seen any photos of wooden bodied hoppers on the Harton system and the dimensions may not be identical, but they look similar to the 1950s Harton hoppers and show the general shape well.

Edit: Doh - the top right pic on the railbrit page linked above shows wooden hoppers and is captioned Westoe.

Thanks for that useful post, I was aware that they were differant but decided against trying to model an exact replica, as you say i think a coat of NCB red will give the look, to be honest I have been absorebed in wondering how to start the Edge kit of the low height locos 13,14& 15. has anyone built one and how did it come out, the etchings are lovely but where to start!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for that useful post, I was aware that they were differant but decided against trying to model an exact replica, as you say i think a coat of NCB red will give the look, to be honest I have been absorebed in wondering how to start the Edge kit of the low height locos 13,14& 15. has anyone built one and how did it come out, the etchings are lovely but where to start!

Hi

I've got as far as building the base plate for one but have also more or less finished building the 4mm version (so I could see how it all fits together). I am still pondering how to motorise the two 2mm ones I have.

Cheers

Paul

Archived