Gresley suburbans

Downer

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know for certain what livery Hornby are giving the first release of their BR Gresley suburbans? Maroon has been mentioned more often than crimson, but the only picture so far seems to show unlined crimson. I shall buy a rake whichever it is, but it would be nice to know.

No idea on the liveries, other than I am interested in the LNER teaks. I would be curious to know what volume Hornby are making of each coach. I am aware that the catalogue shows that an A version is expected in the first run. I am really looking forward to the stock as my layout needs more coaches and it is a serious lack of Suburbans at the moment. I think I might buy one of each type to start with.

• 5 months later...

These look good. I have ordered a set of LNER teaks. The BR version looks good too. mmmmm!

I hope they are delayed till after Christmas as the CC will get a bashing with 2x B17's, D49, coaches, and a few other items.

Dinkyme, I think Mike was referring to the 61' 6" gresley full brake (BG) of the main line stock.

thanks for the photos.

Mark

Out of sheer bone idleness I'll have a couple to make up a 'spare set' for the Guide Bridge working. I notice the teak suburbans are lined out. There is conflicting evidence about when lining ceased to be applied to non-corridor stock. One source says it ceased to be applied after 1923, which doesn't tie in with photos.

For post-war and early BR days, it looks like the lining on teak will have to be obliterated.

• RMweb Premium

Am trying to find an excuse to have a rake of these, however I can't as yet find any photos of them on ex GCR metals around Sheffield. Were Gresley suburbans ever used in the area? If not I'll have to change history as they're very nice :sungum: . Cheers Phil.

• RMweb Premium

After looking further than the end of my nose I answered my own question! Gresley subs. did run in local trains around Sheffield, and indeed some were built at Cravens, there's a nice ex works photo in 'Sheffield Victoria to Chesterfield Central' by Ken Grainger, of Lav. Comp. no. 63914 outside the works. Phil.