Gresley suburbans

Downer

Looking at the numbers on the crimson samples, and with information from the C J G Bishop monographs:

Brake Third E86135E - this one was converted to push-pull for the Epping-Ongar service in 1949.

Third E82291E - was Sc82291E in BR days and was written off in the accident at Wormit in 1955.

First E81036E - was Sc81036E in BR days, worked on Clydebank services, remained all first, withdrawn 11/61.

Hopefully Hornby will re-think the numbers before going into production.

Edited by robertcwp

The good news is some all-firsts were converted into composites. Simply paint some seats blue and add the appropriate insignia.

The following Dia 48 1sts (the 9ft 3ins width version) 32063/93, 32128/9/39/49 were converted into composites in 1935 and renumbered 32547/52,as Dia 189. They were subsequently renumbered 88142/7. A Dia 47 1st (the 9ft width version) number 31902 was also converted to a composite, again as Dia 189, in 1935 and renumbered 32456, later 88141.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking at the numbers on the crimson samples, and with information from the C J G Bishop monographs:

Brake Third E86135E - this one was converted to push-pull for the Epping-Ongar service in 1949.

Third E82291E - was Sc82291E in BR days and was written off in the accident at Wormit in 1955.

First E81036E - was Sc81036E in BR days, worked on Clydebank services, remained all first, withdrawn 11/61.

Hopefully Hornby will re-think the numbers before going into production.

Yes Robert. Hopefully they'll put the correct prefixes on 82291 and 81036. :D

Dave.

One of the problems is what point in time should a particular model represent? Fortunately Hornby seem to have a policy of issuing revised running numbers each year so any error, with luck and appropriate advice, will be corrected next time around.

As an aside, I wonder who will be the first to attempt/publish an articulated pair once they are released.

One of the problems is what point in time should a particular model represent? Fortunately Hornby seem to have a policy of issuing revised running numbers each year so any error, with luck and appropriate advice, will be corrected next time around.

As an aside, I wonder who will be the first to attempt/publish an articulated pair once they are released.

My Money is on Coachman :no:

• Like 1

How simple or strenuous a job is it, in reality? (Not committing to it myself - just out of curiosity!)

How simple or strenuous a job is it, in reality? (Not committing to it myself - just out of curiosity!)

Off the top of my head you would have to remove and replace the trussing and probably move the battery boxes, then remove both inner bogies and replace with one articulated joint in conjunction with one of the removed bogies. Might possibly have to cut away the buffer beams on the inner ends. At this stage I do not know if Hornby have produced the trussing supplied and battery boxes as a separate moulding which obviously would make removal easier. The hardest part is producing the articulated joint for both the inner bogie and the coaches. Once I get my hands on some actual coaches, I will certainly be looking into the possibilities but suspect with the speed I move, Coachmann will get there first!

How simple or strenuous a job is it, in reality?

Recent Hornby coach construction has the underframe gubbins clipped in and tacked with cement, minutes to remove intact.

Inner bogies off, pivot location ground away, five minutes

Some repositioning of detail and making replacement trusses from brass, an hour or two.

Buffers out and holes filled, a notch in the middle of each bufferbeam and half of a hinge cemented into the notch in the style that Kirk kits use, bolt or pin through centre bogie pivot, maybe another hour, and the job is done as a running vehicle.

Twenty-four hours for the last of the paint to dry. A nice little project for a wet weekend

Wonder if these will have the close coupling mechanism, there will some useful parts to salvage if that is the case.

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

I mentioned I'd like to start an LNER Carriage Group a couple of days ago but there was no response. I'm in the process of building a Gresley Brake Third at the moment and have been taking photos as work progressed seeing as a few differences in construction have been incorporated.

However, I've just smashed the Canon 300D to pieces before binning it. I was told ages ago these digital SLR's are not worth repairing so it has been held together with black tape since 2004. Last spring it developed an Error and would occasionally not download a shot to the memory card. I avoided most of this years steam specials to North Wales as the risk of it not downloading my shots was too risky. About an hour ago it steadfastly refused to trasnfer any further shots to the card so I dropped the camera to the floor thinking it might jolt its memory! It still would not work. I threw it against a wall and it definitely wouldn't work.

So thats it, end of work benches.

• RMweb Gold

So thats it, end of work benches.

Nooooooo......................... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Your workbenches are some of the highlights of this forum and because of them a comet kit is on my shopping list for Scaleforum.

Use the MJT Artic etched parts for a conversion. I used them on my Jubilee set , easy to build and works first time.

The Kirk version is very poor , my tourist set wont go around any sort of curves due to non existent space between the coaches.

Edited by micklner

Hi All

Just been looking at these coaches on the Hornby site, surprised to find the RRP is going to be £43, just a tad on the high side I think personally.

Ian

Hi All

Just been looking at these coaches on the Hornby site, surprised to find the RRP is going to be £43, just a tad on the high side I think personally.

Ian

That does seem a bit on the expensive side.......

43 quid is about $68, knock off VAT and you are at $54.

Some of the latest Walthers passenger cars here in the US have a RRP of $65 or more. Trust me, the Gresley suburbans will be nicer!

With some discounting, the prices will obviously be lower. Vote with your wallet, I always say.

If it is a "must have", pay a preminium and insure you get what you want. If you can be patient, do so, odds are next year after the "must haves" get theirs, they will be priced for folks with tighter wallets.

• Like 2

Requoting somebody's opinion twice doesnt make it carry any more weight ;)

Seriously, expensive compared to what? A Bachmann suburban - an older model without flush glazing - or a kit - which as Coach has said, post #27 - will set you back roughly the same amount before you get near it with any tools or paints?

I'm genuinely interested to know on what grounds folk make these comparisons; I'm one of the first to criticise Hornby for excessive or inconsistent pricing but bearing in mind the economy in general (and the sky high prices that the Gresley corridors are now at), I dont think these are too bad.

Edited by Pennine MC
  • Like 2

I'm genuinely interested to know on what grounds folk make these comparisons; I'm one of the first to criticise Hornby for excessive or inconsistent pricing but bearing in mind the economy in general (and the sky high prices that the Gresley corridors are now at), I dont think these are too bad.

True. In fact, if you type ‘Hornby Gresley suburban coaches’ into Google and scroll down a little, you’ll immediately see more than one site selling each BR liveried version nicely under £30. Pretty good I’d say. Teaks are a bit more but then that’s to be expected.

I know I have said it before but prices will only go up. Buy now if you want them, or anything else for that matter.

The Chinese workers are starting to demand higher wages, the Chinese currency has to rise under international pressure. The economy in the developed world is not likely to recover in a short time scale. Any manufacturer of non essential goods is going to think hard about what volume of any given product to produce. Shorter runs would seem to be the logical way to go. This again will lead to higher prices. I reckon Hornby should be congratulated on taking a big risk in producing a set of coaches that must be of limited appeal. The price, unlike that of a couple of recent wagons, seems quite reasonable to me. They were caught out with the gresley sleeper. I hope that they have got it right with the range this time.

Bernard

• Like 4

Guest Max Stafford

By most accepted standards, Bernard, these are 'niche' models and we should be extremely pleased that they have been produced. I don't need a vast number for my Waverley project but have nevertheless ordered my required amount having made very similar observations to you!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

By most accepted standards, Bernard, these are 'niche' models and we should be extremely pleased that they have been produced. I don't need a vast number for my Waverley project but have nevertheless ordered my required amount having made very similar observations to you!

Dave.

Hi Dave,

That will be arranged as sets of 4 caoches I presume!

3 sets minimum then....

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

What is the shortest possible train that could be arranged with a combination of these suburbans in BR days? I do want to buy a few but can't really justify more than four at a push...?

Hi Martin,

Pick from 2 coaches, 3 coaches, 4 coaches for train length and add suitable loco (steam or diesel) according to preferance.

It depends on the service - and the region/area/location you are modelling......

ps - Just because it's a short train doesn't mean it has a small engine!

Edited by Scottish Modeller
  • Like 1