Gresley suburbans

Downer

Guest Max Stafford

Phil, I'll have a set of three for the Carlisle-Hawick stopper and maybe an all first to put on top of the afternoon Edinburgh-Carlisle stopper!

Dave.

As well as being in complete rakes, the Gresley non-corridors were often used to replace pre-group coaches of a similar classification. Thus a train in the North East might contain a NER coach and Gresley or even a Hull & Barnsley coach with a Gresley. This is where a bit of kit building comes in.

• Like 1

These really do look the part. I'll definately be picking up a couple of these for my NE layout.

I could do with knowing though, which livery would be best for 1953 or thereabouts? From photographs I've seen it would appear that they were a bit slow in repainting the coaches on minor lines. Would it therefore be best to buy a few teaks and try and remove the LNER markings or could I get away with a couple of Crimsons?

• RMweb Premium

By 1953, very few Gresley non-corridors were still in teak. Those that lasted that time had long since lost their white roofs, their "3" designations and "LNER" and were re-numbered in the post-1946 LNER numbering scheme series as like the crimson carriages.

Having said that, many similar ex-LNER pre-grouping carriages retained teak or brown until withdrawal.

• Like 2

Excellent. Many thanks. :)

At least that will both save me a few quid to form my entire rake as teaks, as well as the time spent trying to remove the markings without the risk of also removing the fine printing. A few Crimsons and one teak should do me nicely. :)

By most accepted standards, Bernard, these are 'niche' models and we should be extremely pleased that they have been produced.

"Niche" or not, RTR models of pre-nationalisation coaching stock which apply to recent modelling standard still is very limited. AFAIK, only four sets of coaches of the big four are (or have been recently) availiable (LNER Gresley 61', GWR Colletts and Hawksworths, SR Maunsells). Any other available coaches are based on constructions which are thirty years old. Compared to the German market, where fifteen different express coach sets of the pre- WW II era (livery & prototype) can be obtained, that is quite nothing.

The Gresley suburbans will be the first "everyday" coaches referring to a "Big Four" prototype of recent standard. One LNER set will be mine soon...

I would like to encourage any manufacturer to go on that way. Some 1925 bow-ended Colletts would suit my Castle...

"Niche" or not, RTR models of pre-nationalisation coaching stock which apply to recent modelling standard still is very limited. AFAIK, only four sets of coaches of the big four are (or have been recently) availiable (LNER Gresley 61', GWR Colletts and Hawksworths, SR Maunsells). Any other available coaches are based on constructions which are thirty years old.

Add the Hornby LMS Period 3 (Stanier) stock to that list. Surely the GWR Colletts are getting on for 30 years old by now?

I happened to stumble across this flickr page a couple of days ago, which shows a couple of Gresley Suburbans on a Fraserburgh-St Combs service in the mid '50s. Thought it may be of interest to many Scots region followers. The below link is to one of the clearer photos, though it's worth looking at some of the others on that page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38727358@N04/3558488235/in/photostream

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I mentioned I'd like to start an LNER Carriage Group a couple of days ago but there was no response. I'm in the process of building a Gresley Brake Third at the moment and have been taking photos as work progressed seeing as a few differences in construction have been incorporated. However, I've just smashed the Canon 300D to pieces before binning it. I was told ages ago these digital SLR's are not worth repairing so it has been held together with black tape since 2004. Last spring it developed an Error and would occasionally not download a shot to the memory card. I avoided most of this years steam specials to North Wales as the risk of it not downloading my shots was too risky. About an hour ago it steadfastly refused to trasnfer any further shots to the card so I dropped the camera to the floor thinking it might jolt its memory! It still would not work. I threw it against a wall and it definitely wouldn't work. So thats it, end of work benches.

Just come across this. I would be interested in an LNER coaches group. Currently working on a number of Kirk kits with teak livery.

Paul,

There already is a Group (or rather a Forum) that delves into all matters LNER, including carriages. It's part of the LNER site mentioned above that hosts the Information Sheets. Forums are preferable to starting a Yahoo! Group, which I had previously considered. You'll find both prototype researchers and modellers, authorities on the subject, plus others researching the drawings at the NRM and actually restoring carriages too. It's at: http://www.lner.info/forums - see you there!

There isn't really a need for yet another group on the same subject just now, as there will be other exciting developments in the near future on the subject of LNER Carriage Stock.

Edited by Pint of Adnams

You'll also find a boatload of wish listers and damning critisism of RMweb on the forum recommended above.

As one does on all forums, and clearly a matter than begins to concern a number of members of the LNER forum as witnessed by recent threads relating to such activities - in fact it is rather reminiscent of RMWeb before the last change, when our views were sought about 'chaff', 'froth' and so on.

I choose to use the 'foe' button for the worst offenders, considering that there is far more useful content to be found which supervenes the annoyances.

I find it very curious that you seek to denigrate a place where you have made 466 posts but are prepared on this forum to make a damning criticism in the same way that you say so offends you.

• Like 3

I find it very curious that you seek to denigrate a place where you have made 466 posts but are prepared on this forum to make a damning criticism in the same way that you say so offends you.

Fine words old boy, but if I had compared the LNER forum to the things your fellow members compared RMweb to, then that would have been a damning critisism.With 466 posts to my credit, it showed a stayed long enough to make a reasoned decision why I should no longer contribute.

Surely the GWR Colletts are getting on for 30 years old by now?

Easily. They are not of a recent standard, but are second-rank, along with the Bachmann Bulleids and Thompsons, the Airfix Staniers, and the Hornby/Airfix Centenaries, B-set, and Autocoach, and Railroad Pullmans (i.e. they are a good representation of the intended coach but may be compromised in detail or minor dimensions).

The newer Pullmans are really the first of the current spec coaches.

Back onto the original topic - I don't think I can justify a set of teak suburbans in a GWR West Country setting, but they are quite tempting.

Adrian

Fine words old boy, but if I had compared the LNER forum to the things your fellow members compared RMweb to, then that would have been a damning critisism.With 466 posts to my credit, it showed a stayed long enough to make a reasoned decision why I should no longer contribute.

I've just run a search on 'rmweb' on the LNER Forum and there are 264 matches. The first page is nothing but cross-postings and praise for information supplied by someone on RMWeb. Skimmimg through subsequent pages, the majority point to posts on RMWeb that have relevant information, a build, or something usefully similar. Yes there are people who remark that they haven't posted for some time or don't post on RMWeb any more - I'm one who finds that the LNER site more closely matches my information needs - but I still keep a toe in the water here. This incarnation of RMWeb is too busy and complex for me, a view shared by others, but conversely it's sheer size and membership show that lots of people love it. But thereagain other people belong to other forums that better suit them - it's called freedom of choice.

Are you by any chance also a member of the Fine Scale Railway Modellers Workshop forum...? Are you getting confused...?

• Like 1

There isn't really a need for yet another group on the same subject just now, as there will be other exciting developments in the near future on the subject of LNER Carriage Stock.

Above comment sounds interesting .

Has anyone got pictures of the suburbans as the BR Version would appear to be in the shops ??

Edited by micklner

Considering how tatty the teak stock so often looked when carrying BR paint finish, that is no concern at all for me. They can be the newly outshopped against my saddo Kirks. What I am really interested in seeing is whether this time they have actually modelled coaches built to Gresley's design, rather than the 'Hornby fiction' perpetrated in the past...

If they do, then a wave of remorse will roll through the Hornby offices, and they will go to maximum effort to retool an enlarged range of accurate LNER corridor coaches including streamlined sets to go with the milions of A3s and A4s sold that have kept them afloat all these decades; the UK's banks will recoup all their losses and voluntarily repay the exchequer with interest, effortless porcine aviation will occur...