Kingsbridge Branch N

devondynosoar118

Any plans for Dean bogies? We need them for our passenger brake vans.

Richard Brummitt has produced some Dean Bogies (etched kits) for 2mm FS which might be of interest - he did 6'4", 8'6" and 10', and I think the PBVs probably used the 8'6" version. Construction appears to be non-trivial, but the end result looks excellent (I saw an example recently, but unfortunately it didn't emerge on Highbury Colliery for photos, and my limited photography skill probably wouldn't have done it justice anyway).

Demand was a high, so I think he has probably sold out, but it's worth contacting him if you are interested to see if/when he is planning to produce any more.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a bit more on the building front.

I have received all the parts I needed (thanks Osbourne's!) to complete the motor goods shed. As stated before this is an adapted Nissen style hut/barn. God only knows where the original came from but it closely resembles the pre-fab corrugated barns often seen from the 30's dotted around our countryside so I suspect it was a agricultural building as opposed to a railway one!

post-9516-0-30150500-1327861096.jpg

I added the windows to the outside to replicate the chunky frames of the prototype.

post-9516-0-99790400-1327861128.jpg

Then I added the lean to at the side.

Here is my attempt at more scale corrugated iron, the panels are scale 8' by 16' as trying to do 8' x 4' was just silly and many of these buildings used larger size sheets.

post-9516-0-26877500-1327861085.jpg

I started by trying drawing the wall elevation again onto take away container foil, including the cut outs for the windows.

post-9516-0-08860900-1327861200.jpg

This then got cut into lengths and pressed between 2 offcuts of Ratio corrugated plastic, cut to the right size.

post-9516-0-44345300-1327861223.jpg

After about an hour, including the window fitting I was left with this. The small gaps were a bit annoying but I can hide them before finishing. On the other sides I cut 1 sheet at a time allowing a bit of overlap between each sheet, which looked better. That is the end of a cocktail stick visible in the foreground to show scale. The un-even finish of this method replicates the original very well, the plastic sheets are too perfect.

I will post the finished item in my blog, hopefully painted!

Edited by devondynosoar118
  • Like 1

You had better patience than me then!

I tried this myself a few weeks ago, but got fed up with the foil not being accurate enough. I was making a rather large building mind so it would have taken hours!

Look forward to seeing the end result!

Regards

Lee :)

I could imagine it did!

I tried initially using full size sheets (the ratio ones have the moulded multiple layers per sheet I only made it one layer high, but full width).

When that wasn't working out great, I did try full sheets, but the creases were not uniform enough, so I made a jig (like it suggested in the MR mag) and cut the sheet down in to smaller sections (like the size you have done)

Baring in mind my building was about 400mm long and with the roof, about 200mm high, I gave up quite quickly in favour for the sheets themselves. A more expensive approach and the thick sheet looks rubbish at the ends, but so much better over the width. I would have had to have spent a few days making everything in foil!

I did originally try using tinfoil but it didn't pan out so well so I brought some of them thick foil takeaway dishes in the end.....They have now been upgraded to become balast and flock containers!! :)

I've gotta say you have got the creases much neater than I managed, but its the getting it all stuck down neatly and aligning the panels without damaging the creases that put me off fully in the end!

Top marks to you for pushing through to the end with it! It's not as easy as the mag suggested!

Regards

Lee :)

I am enjoying this thread very much - a nice prototype to model.

I have used the Ratio vacuum formed corrugated roof for the roof of the water tank for Dulverton. This Ratio sheet has the great advantage of being extremely thin, much thinner than the Evergreen corrugated siding sheets that I have used for flat roofs. The Ratio roof does flatten quite easily, and I wonder if it could be made permanently flat by immersing in hot water. You could then use it for the side of the motor shed, as well as for curved roofs in the way you have done already.

I wonder why no-one has done 2mm scale flat corrugated sheeting using the same vacuum forming technique that Ratio use for their curved roof - I am sure it would be popular because it would be thin.

Douglas

Edited by Douglas G
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...

A quick update- The layout is far from dead, although it has hibernated a year or two for various reasons.

I have been working on the controls, I now have working points in the yard, off my NCE Powercab, ready to get the mini panel working.

Here is the box I made with the routes and points all set. Still to add is the uncouplers and signal control. Uncouplers will be electromagnets fired by MOSFETS with only signal voltage in the switches and signals are undecided.

post-9516-0-13110500-1494069405_thumb.jpg

Boy racer carbon wrap was a result of having some left over from wrapping a lap top, I haven't seen anyone else use it so it should at least be unique!

• Like 2

It's great to see some progress on Kingsbridge. The control panel does look the business. It will be interesting to see how you implement the signals. Salcombe has stalled a bit recently but I have been encouraged by visiting some shows and talking to other RMweb members. Unfortunately I don't get down to Devon very often now since my mother passed away early last year, but hope to soon just to catch up with old friends and take some photographs of the area surrounding Salcombe.

I look forward to future updates with anticipation.

• Like 2

Whilst "tidying" I found my stock box and the buildings to try on the layout. The goods shed needs a bit of fettling and a canopy, but the rest don't look too bad, considering they have been in a box for 4 years!

post-9516-0-76300800-1494243288_thumb.jpg

General view, not looking horribly far from the 1928 view here- http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023737

post-9516-0-52610200-1494243389_thumb.jpg

Looking across from the back wall of the motor goods shed.

post-9516-0-45311300-1494243414_thumb.jpg

Carriage shed in place, with B set in residence, with a view of what will be the crane siding.

post-9516-0-23515700-1494243509_thumb.jpg

Pannier on shed.

post-9516-0-60897700-1494244015_thumb.jpg

View from roughly where the signal box will sit.

These were just potato cam shots, I have realised it's possible to put up all 3 boards in an empty space down the road, so I will get that done over the next month and use a proper camera. I also need to try again with the platforms, as you can see I gave up with the last set. Hopefully the workshop mice have left the other two boards alone...

• Like 3

Looks like a warmer location to work on it than when I last saw it.

It was living in the big shed, I just put it in the back of the bus and bought it home. That was on the kitchen table!

I need to sort a few things before completing this board, firstly legs and backscenes.

I have a plan for the legs, I just need to try making it. Station building is all on Autocad thanks to my dad and little brother, just waiting to hear back on prices for laser cutting the main shell which I will try and use scribed DAS on.

Two questions-

Anyone got a good recommendation for a company to do the photographic back scene? I have all the images done.

What platform height do people recommend and what material should I use? I have done the template and the platform will have to be bonded to the baseboard top, then textured with a few tricks and the plastic sheet of stone sets I used last time.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not quite enough for a complete update on the blog, here’s a few shots of today’s progress on the station kitbash.

The 4 elevations are now complete, I have got some of it together, here’s some progress shots of the elevations, in primer and some of the filling and rescribing of the stonework done.

post-9516-0-22994500-1528050542_thumb.jpeg

Cost so far including windows is the wrong side of £80 but the fastest way to fix a problem is sadly to throw money at it and in this case the station building is really needed to get the board finished!

Close up of the scratch built gable end, right by the station entrance if we could time travel.

post-9516-0-15249700-1528050694_thumb.jpeg

Whilst I had the station board at home I re laid the run around loop at the buffer stop end to make more room for coaches on the platform, as it was originally too compressed looking. I found it made the whole station look too short, this was one of the areas that I had to compress to get things to fit and making it hold more stock before the points has helped the illusion that the platform is longer. More to come on that when I set the whole lot up again.

Hopefully all of these pics stay the right way up...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...