Kingsbridge Branch N

devondynosoar118

No pictures today, sorry!

Just a quick question really. I want to model 2 wartime "specials", one will be a passenger train,the other will be a tank transport train- What well wagons were used for this traffic and does anyone do them in N? They don't have to be from one company and I will need about 8-10. Christ knows how I'm going to shunt them, but finding the right stock is my main problem! I am going to make a quick photo plank this week and will put up a few shots of the latest rolling stock shortly.

Another thing I was wondering is how to find out weather locos carried a specific livery. I am about to sort out my other prairie, I wanted to do 5525 but there are no plates for it so it will have to be 5526 which I am sure wasn't really a local engine. I would like to illustrate austerity unlined black with the sans serif GWR on the tender sides. However as this engine in a later 30's build I suspect that in 43/44 it was probably just very dirty "shirt button."

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling that suitable kits are few and far between. The n gauge soc's Rhymney Loriot K plastic wagon would do for lighter vehicles. I have a couple of other well type wagons that could be parked in a siding, again suitable for lighter vehicles. These could not be run in trains though.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

I called in at the old station last monday as I was staying in the area, I recognise the goods shed and thats it!

Next time have a look at the back of the shed, between Plumbase and the end warehouse, there is the site of the signal box and it's retaining wall. Go past the entrance to Morrisons onto the modern housing estate as Lime Grove for a surprise. Sucks that they knocked down the station.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This layout is still ongoing, I have had a brief stop to construct a micro layout to test couplings and a few other bits. To date I have

Sorted running issues in the yard- thanks Kris

Done some more work on the platforms, in my blog.

Done the Inset track in the engine shed

Got about half the stock.

More stuff to come, just waiting for a couple of days to finish sticking the track down in the yard, then it'll fly along again as I can work on the scenics and buildings to liven up the station area. Any ideas on where I can find a ground plan form the Kingsbridge signal box?

Edited by devondynosoar118

,the other will be a tank transport train- What well wagons were used for this traffic and does anyone do them in N? They don't have to be from one company and I will need about 8-10. Christ knows how I'm going to shunt them, but finding the right stock is my main problem! I am going to make a quick photo plank this week and will put up a few shots of the latest rolling stock shortly.

As far as I know you should be l;ooking for Warwell wagons, built in 1942 for the purpose of hauling tanks. Be aware that many British tanks are too large to fit the loading gauge, US Shermans were small enough though!

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/p152864854

kit from Parkwood models, now owned and sold through the N gauge society. I believe they are planning to do transferes fo these at some point as well.

Suitable vehicles, possibly try GRAmodels - http://www.gramodels.co.uk/

Good luck ith the project

Simon

• Like 1

As far as I know you should be looking for Warwell wagons, built in 1942 for the purpose of hauling tanks. Be aware that many British tanks are too large to fit the loading gauge, US Shermans were small enough though!

Not quite true. Most of the standard issue British tanks were movable by rail if some parts were removed (and this only applies to the Churchill and Cromwell tanks).

For a detailed description http://www.movcon.org.uk/History/Documents/DID/D-MCHS%200140.htm

Thanks for the links Simon! I had been struggling to find the 2mm military vehicles. I needed Loriots for the smaller vehicles, like Bren gun carriers. Rhys that is a superb primary source, thank you very much.

Any further information on what was carried how is useful.

• RMweb Gold

I (rashly)bought an NCE power cab yesterday as well.

That's the initial start up costs done then...I guess each new loco has to have the cost of a chip lost in the overall price as well then from now on...not quite ready for this myself yet :O

• RMweb Gold

Tom, if you need more modern military items you could also try P G Models

They also do an MOD PFA wagon and container or the wagon on its own.

Parkwoods Warwells and Warflats are also available from the N Gauge Society shop.

The NGS acquired the moulds for the Parkwood Warflats and Warwells about a year ago, along with some stock of mouldings.

The detail on them is excellent, and they build up into fine models. However, they were designed to use US style bogies (the best available back then) with mounting pivots that are awkward to fit UK bogies too. Also, diamond frame bogies that are appropriate are no longer available from Farish.

So we are having the toolings slightly modified to give them "standard" British bogie pivots, we are also producing our own diamond frame bogies and decal sheets.

This process will probably take a few months, but I am hoping to have them ready for relaunch as complete full-on NGS kits with all bogies, wheels, instructions, additional etched details and decals.

We are planning to sell them in three variants - original Warflat with diamond frame bogies, original Warwell with diamond frame bogies, rebuilt Warwell with Gloucester GP22.5 bogies.

The decal sheets will cover the vehicles from their construction to present day. I have also been in discussion with PG Models about incorporating some appropriate markings on the decal sheet for the military vehicles they offer.

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 months later...

Another small development has been achieved, I got the basic shell of the motor goods shed done at about 1am today! It took a while to work out as the prototype is a nissen style hut, with prefab panels. All that is left to do is buy another ratio corrugated roof- that will be the third one this month, then make some thin corrugated cladding. Also to add the drivers mess hut onto the side with no windows. Thanks to Ian Lister for the dimensions of the Ratio domestic window etch I plan to use to fill in the blanks. Will put more pics up when I can get the bits I need to finish off.

post-9516-0-28151700-1326977169.jpg

View from the platform side, obligatory 2mm modellers scaling penny included!

post-9516-0-35505100-1326977146.jpg

Front 3/4 from the platform side

post-9516-0-07508200-1326977274.jpg

This is a partial re-creation of the shot in the Ken Williams book, with a slight change in angle. I baulked at doing full truss detail on this, but put the cross beams in as they are almost visible from a low viewing angle and helped add a bit of strength.

The cladding will be made in 8mm x 16mm sheets from take away carton foil pressed from Ratio sheets. I really didn't fancy cutting windows out of such thick material and the open front of the building would have made the over scale thickness very obvious. Will post the process as well.