6023 KING EDWARD II

industrial

And another one comes back from dead to live again! If ever mankind made any machine more beautiful than these things, then I've not seen it. Just simply wonderful.

Cheers,Mike

In that case can I suggest you visit the Bluebell / Swanage / K&ESR / Mid Hants - they've all got lots of Southern Railway locomotives which are....:D :D

I saw this engine when it was at this stage, in 2007:

post-1656-0-22585700-1301611522_thumb.jpg

The way this project has progressed over the years still astounds me. It is one of the best stories in preservation: missing portions of driving wheels, due to being torched for removal, and various other components besides.

This, along with the superb Railmotor project, shows Didcot at the top of their game. Well done to all who've worked on them.

In that case can I suggest you visit the Bluebell / Swanage / K&ESR / Mid Hants - they've all got lots of Southern Railway locomotives which are....:D :D

What I meant by the comment wasn't 'Kings' or any other specific class of locomotive but just the steam locomotive in all of its various forms and guises.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Max Stafford

That is a thing of utter beauty, especially in that livery. Note how the blue itself varies enormously under changing light. I think then you may begin to understand why there is so much debate among we followers of a certain Scottish railway! :D

Dave.

The full size King in blue looks pretty. I probably see things differently as a model painter. They look nice at first because it's different from the norm, but in the end, you can't beat GWR green on GW locos. But as publicity for King Edward II, the colour cannot be beaten.

Its nice to see it but i'll agree that Brunswick green really is the colour of choice for GWR. It seems to be a colour that benefits from the depth of paint/varnish applied too which is possibly why it fails to work as well on a model at times.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Castle in apple green :? .

Personally i'm really not a big fan of the "Kings" however in that livery I really could be persuaded otherwise! Fantastic work Men of Didcot!

Btw, if anyone see's someone approaching 6023 with a tin of green paint, trip em up or steal their paint brush! :D :D :D

The middle three were taken when I was riding on the foot plate.

post-3665-0-40999800-1301684173_thumb.jpg

6024 will be in steam on the 2nd and 3rd of April and over Easter with 6023 as well. This will be the first time two Kings will be in steam together for 48 years.

post-3665-0-14574700-1301683754_thumb.jpg

post-3665-0-56773400-1301683862_thumb.jpg

post-3665-0-37807200-1301683996_thumb.jpg

post-3665-0-23017500-1301684080_thumb.jpg

As much as Im known for being a NER heritage man, all of 27, I have a massive soft spot for the Western region and its evolution of engines and similar parts being used. Have to say that this King locomotive looks sensational and certainly reaffirms my faith that the Western region steam was indeed special and a match for those I geographically hold dear!!

• RMweb Premium

What a fantastic restoration of a loco that was once considered a lost cause. I hope the guys who did the work are bursting with pride - they certainly should be!

Hopefully we'll see 6023 running on a preserved line one day at the head of some blood & custard coaches!

Archived