Holyhead Diesel Depot

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

I've decided to join the rest of the modellers on RMweb and build a TMD !!! Only kidding; I just need somewhere to show off my growing collection of 70's and 80's locos !

As I'm already modelling (sort of) the North Wales Coast I thought I might have a go at something like the depot at Holyhead.

To that end, can anyone help provide or point me in the direction of websites etc. which have trackplan, layout, buildings, pictures etc.

I've already got some info from 2D53.co.uk but will need much more...

Thanks in anticipation

David

• RMweb Premium

Trackplan and more in 'A Historical Suvey of the Chester to Holyhead Railway by Anderson and Fox (OPC).........if you can lay your hands on a copy!

Ha Ha! That's really funny, 'cos I do have a copy of that book but completely forgot !! Doh :huh:

I'll get it off the shelf later - make some good Friday night reading...

Thanks for the prompt

D

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, what gauge?

My dad started in Holyhead in the early 80s.

GE

N gauge; your Dad wouldn't happen to have any old pics or info, would he?!

My Dad was a wagon inspector at the Chester end of the line but never took any pictures (whatever was he thinking !!)

• RMweb Premium

Trackplan and more in 'A Historical Suvey of the Chester to Holyhead Railway by Anderson and Fox (OPC)

I had a look at the book and it has a superb track layout but is dated around the 50's - 60's; I really need an updated plan of the depot from the 70's - 80's if possible...

Also, I need pictures of the depot itself so I can estimate measurements etc. and of course any general pics and/or general details would be appreciated !

Hi David,

See if you can lay your hands on a copy of North Wales Coast Diesels, by Steve Morris. Published by Ty Mawr publications. There are shots of the depot throughtout the book. Plus plenty of good information all the different classes of locomotive's, that have visited the area over the past 50 years. You could also try to get a copy of Paul Bolgers book of BR STEAM MOTIVE POWER DEPOTS, LONDON MIDLAND REGION. As this has a track plan of the depot. And shots of the depot. It was orginally published by Ian Allen, But has been recently republished by Book Law Publications.

I hope this helps.

Simon

There are just two pictures on Holyhead MPD in my book 'Colour of the North Wales Mainline' (Foxline, now Book Law) ISBN 1-870119-71-1 first published in 2003. It is full colour and might be useful seeing as it cover the blue era mainly and features much of the 'lost' freight and passenger traffic on the Chester-Holyhead.

• RMweb Premium

I have photos of Holyhead depot around 1980, visited each summer and always got in, and also visited the box at the same time B) I will see what I can find ..

Excellent that'd be great !!

Thanks

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I've found a trackplan from the late 60's/early 70's when the coaling stage and turntable were still there.

The track was unchanged though during the 80's following the removal of the turntable.

There are no less than 3 assymetric 3-way points so it'll be a challenge !!

The thing is, I have no idea how to turn this into an N gauge trackplan as I don't have any software to convert it over; can anyone help with that please? I'd really like to get some estimated measurements to work from; I think it'll fit into a 6 foot x 1 foot area but need something better to work on...

All help gratefully received !!

post-10897-0-29873500-1302272764_thumb.jpg

(Extract from much larger plan; copyright holder unknown)

• RMweb Premium

Do you intend to build the track yourself or to use Peco or the like?

My skills won't run to making my own track and up to now I've used Peco code 80; for this I'd like to try code 55, especially as they've promised the 3-way in code 55...

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Would anyone know where I would go to get a copy of the original plans for the depot building?

Also; does anyone know what the pitched-roof building to the right of the main depot was for and what it might have contained by way of doors to offices, workshops etc...

Thanks

David

• 9 years later...
On 01/04/2011 at 11:30, Grafarman said:

Hi all

I've decided to join the rest of the modellers on RMweb and build a TMD !!! Only kidding; I just need somewhere to show off my growing collection of 70's and 80's locos !

As I'm already modelling (sort of) the North Wales Coast I thought I might have a go at something like the depot at Holyhead.

To that end, can anyone help provide or point me in the direction of websites etc. which have trackplan, layout, buildings, pictures etc.

I've already got some info from 2D53.co.uk but will need much more...

Thanks in anticipation

David

Hi there David. Have you tried freetrackplans.com? It is actually a very good site, and there are many varied trackplans.

Regards, GWRswindon101