C Davy's 7mm GER pre-Grouping Workbench

C Davy

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:16 pm

file.php?id=67628

More of a trial run really! It's not my bench (it's the Cornwall 0 Gauge Group test track) and it's not my photo (thanks to Chris Hall) but it is my T26 at the head of some GER coaches. It is my first attempt at downloading a picture to this forum and I have now got a DSLR so more can be forthcoming if you are interested.

Any comments welcome

Colin Davy

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Wahey! GER blue! Makes me feel right at home now. I always thought T26's were a nicely proportioned locomotive.

Comment posted by jamieb on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Very nice.

Comment posted by barrett on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

it's lovely! I do like pre grouping

??? posted on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. Although I sez it wot shouldn't, it doesn't look too bad. It was pulling 5 brass coaches (4 6 wheelers +1 bogie clerestory), a total length of nearly 6 feet, & it ran for much of the day at the show last year.

I will try to get some shots of the teak coaches if you are interested

Colin

Comment posted by jwealleans on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:48 pm

I will try to get some shots of the teak coaches if you are interested

Oh, yes, please. This kind of thing raises the tone of the whole forum and we can always do with more of it.

Comment posted by micklner on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:50 pm

A lovely loco icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

Mick

??? posted on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Some more shots

file.php?id=67852

Same loco +6 wheel lav composite

file.php?id=67855

file.php?id=67856

6 Wheel Brake Third& Clerestory Lav compo. These coaches (5 in all) are from D & S kits and make up my idea of a typical GER cross-country train

file.php?id=67857

NPCS wagons

Hope you like them!

Colin

Comment posted by si_berian_tiger on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:39 pm

Beautiful. No other word for it Colin.

Comment posted by jamieb on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:18 pm

icon_thumbsup2.gif Very much like the cattle vans in particular.

Jamie

??? posted on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:02 pm

Hi all

Trying to get some close-ups using daylight to get a better idea of the 'teak' finish (otherwise known as playing with my new camera

file.php?id=67993

file.php?id=67994

file.php?id=67995

The close-up shot is larger than life* and you can see where I have had to modify the 'G" from a 'C' and the 1 to have a serif (not sure of the proper name of the bit across the bottom!(they were originally Guilplates SE&CR transfers) They look OK at normal viewing distances. (*Actually this applies to all the shots)

Any thoughts welcome

Colin

Comment posted by barrett on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:58 pm

i like the carriages. Antiquated stock seems to have a certain charm about it, even though it wasn't appreciated at the time (mind you what would you rather travel 100 miles in, a mk2D or a 6 wheeled rattling box icon_wink.gif ). Have you thought about having a go at making your own decals using decal paper in the style (or near as dammit) of the GER? I'm going to go down this route for my Hull and Barnsley stock if at all possible.

Comment posted by will5210 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:47 pm

I do enjoy some pre grouping, a great variety of liveries. And i love those cattle wagons! icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi all

Have you thought about having a go at making your own decals using decal paper in the style (or near as dammit) of the GER? I'm going to go down this route for my Hull and Barnsley stock if at all possible.

I've only looked sort of generally. The 'Crazy Computer Paper' (is that correct?) site shows ink-jet decal paper but my reading of the info seems to show that it can't do a 'proper' white as the background will show through (and also other translucent colours like yellow) Please, this is only my personal understanding, I would like to know if I am wrong!

They do have info + video (the video is worth checking out) on their site about another system that, it is claimed, can do white, but the process does require access to a laser printer and a laminator. These are not insurmountable problems if you know someone thus equipped.

I thought I'd let someone else try it out first!

Colin

Comment posted by buckjumper on Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Nice to see the T26 and the coaching stock getting a wider audience at last Colin. How's the Little Sharpie coming along?

??? posted on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:19 pm

Hi all.

Thanks for the positive comments. I am not an experienced kit builder and everything tends to be on a first time basis, so I rely on advice from others to improve my results (thanks to Ade for advice on GER teak coaches) I am still naive enough to believe that the kit-maker must be right and if something goes wrong it must be my fault! I can hear you laughing from here! I have, however, a reasonable engineering background and this can help to get me out of trouble.

Ade mentioned the Little Sharpie. Sorry to bore you if you know this already. this was a class of 40 small 2-4-0 engines designed by Samuel Johnson before he took the money and ran of to the Midland Railway. (I'm sure Ade can give you chapter and verse better than I can) They lasted from 1867 to 1913 and had various modifications and alterations to their appearance. I'm modelling around about 1912 so I'm OK with this kit.

file.php?id=68526

file.php?id=68525

The kit is an old Peter K kit (ex Ebay) and isn't going together too badly so far. I didn't take any photos of the early stages of construction (no digital camera!) The lower picture shows a photo taken in 1903 from an unusual angle giving a lot of info and also some idea of the high standard of cleaning lavished upon what was by this time a very secondary engine running an ordinary cross-country service

Colin

Comment posted by buckjumper on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:26 pm

But hello - there's a Class F48 lurking in the background which interests me very much. I'd be interested to know it's provenance. DMR perhaps?

Comment posted by Easterner on Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Very nice - I'm enjoying this, of course.

How did you do the teak finish, BTW? - looks v. good.

??? posted on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Easterner:

I don't claim any originality or expertise with the 'teak finish'. I used Halfords Vauxhall Mustard Yellow spray can to give the 'under colour' and very thinned Phoenix Precision Paints LNER 'Teak' applied wet (ie not dry brushed) with a flat (about 1/4 inch wide) fairly coarse brush to give the grain effect. I didn't try to do any elaborate grain effects as my unsteady hand seemed sufficient to give a fairly minimal grain that doesn't look too bad at normal viewing distances. Remember, I'm working in 7mm.

I may try the Phoenix GNR teak next time as teak would have been a rather variable colour and must have depended on pollution (high!), length of time since varnishing, amount of revarnishing, etc. I'm sure most of this is familiar to you.

The main 'stage fright moment' was holding the brush loaded with the teak paint in one hand and the first coach in the other and thinking "I hope this is going to work!"

Let me know if I can help with any more info

Colin

Comment posted by Easterner on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:11 pm

I don't claim any originality or expertise with the 'teak finish'.

Originality not required; expertise a positive disadvantage, from the observer's point of view! What matters is a nice finished result, which IMHO you've got. I have a couple of the same D&S kits looking at me witing to be built as we speak.

??? posted on Sun May 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Just thought that some of you might be interested in this 'just coaled' Gobbler (GER M15) No.792

file.php?id=76936

I was inspired to this model by Buckjumper's description on his Blog. It is a slightly modified Connoisseur F5 (ie safety valve & Westinghouse pump positions, chimney and a few other minor details. It has yet to be 'chipped' but runs OK on DC

Colin

Comment posted by easternbuzz on Sun May 03, 2009 4:42 pm

All I can say is well done!!! Looking beautiful!

Comment posted by John B on Sun May 03, 2009 4:44 pm

That is utterly gorgeous.

??? posted on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:20 pm

No 34 poses for a 'just cleaned' photograph.

file.php?id=80812

See above posts for kit details and some idea of the workaday condition in which some of the pre-grouping loco's could be seen. (Yes, I know! Cheap labour and harsh employers!)

I suppose it really should have a certain amount of weathering to give it a 'well used but looked after' effect and this would also hide some of the deficiencies in my paintwork but I just can't bring myself to do it!

Any thoughts?

Colin D

Comment posted by jwealleans on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:27 pm

BJ did a thread some time ago of filthy Edwardian and Victorian locos, so they were certainly not always the spotless works of art we imagine. I'm a believer in weathering but I have to say that I might have pangs of conscience over something as pretty as that. Made my day, that has.

Comment posted by Pint of Adnams on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:26 pm

...The kit is an old Peter K kit (ex Ebay) and isn't going together too badly so far. I didn't take any photos of the early stages of construction (no digital camera!) The lower picture shows a photo taken in 1903 from an unusual angle giving a lot of info and also some idea of the high standard of cleaning lavished upon what was by this time a very secondary engine running an ordinary cross-country service

Lovely stuff Colin, please keep it coming. :icon_thumbsup2:

The Peter K kit (or at least the etched parts if not the bits and bobs) is re-available in 4mm through Kemilway, see: http://www.kemilway.com/peter-k.html so I guess that anyone interested in the 7mm version could make enquiries. Alan Gibson Workshop is shortly doing a batch of the T26/E4 in 7mm, but to fulfil reservations. Further batches will no doubt follow, subject to sufficient demand.

Comment posted by duncan_am_smith on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Colin - your creations are exquisite!

I'm a fan of the old GER services between Fenchurch Street and North Woolwich, Custom House and Gallions; so your "Gobbler" and teak coaches get a round of applause from me.

More please - SWMBO is out tonight, so I can drool all I want....

Comment posted by Easterner on Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Very nice - but I think that Gobbler needs a nice Edwardian driver leaning on the side of the cab enjoying a nice summer's evening. Mmmm.

Comment posted by smyles1 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Wow! Inspirational photos. Makes me want to rush to my workbench to complete my 4mm D&S GER Clerestory bogie coach and make a start on the six and 4 wheelers. Must paint my Little Sharpie and Mogul sometime and build the Gibson J15 that has sat in it's box for many years.

Mike

??? posted on Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:21 pm

post-128-12585016343617_thumb.gif

Very nice - but I think that Gobbler needs a nice Edwardian driver leaning on the side of the cab enjoying a nice summer's evening. Mmmm.

Now complete with crew as supplied by Connoisseur & painted by me. Must try for a closer-in shot.

My next project is (are?) 4 D&S 20t GER Coal Wagons. Cant have too many coal wagons!

Mike:- I'm thinking ahead about 4 wheel suburban coach stock. Trouble is, an 8 coach set looks rather expensive.

Colin D

• RMweb Gold

Very nice indeed. Not least the NPCS's. Looking forward to the coal wagons!

On the issue of weathering, I'm beginning to think in that direction too. I have a growing doubt that the pregrouping scene was as neat and tidy as we tend to think. Even so it's quite a plunge to begin weathering those beauties of yours!

My thanks to Adrian (Buckjumper) for managing to transfer this thread from the old RMWeb (I use a Mac and the transfer programme is Windows) I have been a bit busy since the last postings and, if anybody's interested(!) I'll try to get some pics posted.

Colin

Sorry about that. Slight c--ck up on the uploading front. The pic shows a D&S kit of a GER Horse Box to Diagram 16 It's fairly complete (still needs grab rails on the roof and door handles) but has been the subject of a number of emails between myself and BJ (thanks Ade) about various details such as should the sliding vent be inside or out? We eventually settled on inside for this version (after I had carefully crafted working outside runners!)

I'm going to have a problem blacking the buffers. Mr. Pinnock (D&S) reckons his supplier has changed to stainless steel and my gun blue won't touch it. Have seen permanent marker pen recomended elsewhere. Any thoughts?

Colin

Buckjumper wrote:

That's looking good. Have you tried Slater's steel buffers in the buffer housing to see if they'll fit?

Sorry Ade, no luck. Different diameters so I'll try permanent marker and let you know what happens.

Taking a bit of a break from brass kits at the moment and trying to put together some Slater's wagons. I say 'trying' because they were bought at a bring & buy sale and are quite old so there may be/are quite a few bits missing as well as unsure as to which instructions go with which kit (and I have looked most carefully!)

Included in the kits I found some Slater's etched kits for compensated wagon W-frames complete and unopened. Anyone interested then PM me

Colin

I'm going to have a problem blacking the buffers. Mr. Pinnock (D&S) reckons his supplier has changed to stainless steel and my gun blue won't touch it. Have seen permanent marker pen recomended elsewhere. Any thoughts?

Colin

Interesting. At one time I, wearing my FouTrack Models hat, supplied Danny with steel buffer heads, springs and nuts for some of his 7mm kits, and I didn't specify stainless steel at that time. He did also have other suppliers. When I sold the business on the rights to the buffer heads and springs went two ways, to Dragon Models and Lanky kits. I'm sure both would be happy to sell you sets of buffer heads, springs and nuts, you'd need to specify 9.0mm heads for the NPCS stock as I also did a 7.0mm head for some vans. If I can find the file with the installation instructions for the bufferheads I'll pm it you so that you can see if the'd be any use.

• 2 years later...

HarryP wrote:- Any updates? I was fascinated by your builds, really impressive.

Thanks for the prod and the compliment!!!

I've just realized that this thread has lost a number posted images that were carried over from the previous incarnation of RMweb. Before I post any new photos, can anyone tell me how to recover them? I will post soon, honest!

Colin

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived