Webcam at Fostoria, Ohio

Northpoint

Not too bad, can't complain, you okay? Long-time-no-hear over there though?

Oh same old, same old. Had some health issues, managing them now. Decided that the Cost/Usefulness v Trolls/Lack of control of said, equation on FMi just didn't pan out and voted with my feet. :rolleyes: Pity as there were some good chaps on there, but really couldn't be doing with the politics. Hey ho.

Right, I should be getting ready to catch a train down to the New Forest, not watching two railcams (NS local on Roaknoke) & posting on here. Just hope Mother no longer has metered broadband, gotta run Fostoria & Roaknoke at the same time, although I have now discovered the Livestream app for the iPhone, so that's one dealt with. B)

Actually you've managed to insult just about everyone over here with the references to "Yanks" and "Yankland". Yankees are only prevalent in parts of New York state, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts. If you went to some parts of the USA and mentioned that they were "Yanks" you might well get into a lot of trouble particularly from large "gentlemen" in the South. Be careful about tarring everyone with the same brush, they may do the same to you......

Indeed. To us in the South, a Yankee is anybody from north of, roughly, Washington DC. That line extends west to about, oh, Chicago. A culinary border can be imagined as well - if you can still get sweetened ice tea in restaurants, you're still down south. And yes, I understand the concept of iced tea is revolting to most Britons huh.gif but we love the stuff.

And then there's this:

Yankee - somebody from up north who's down here.

Damned Yankee - somebody from up north who's come down here to stay.

Such as my town, Cary...said to mean Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees.

biggrin.gif

I remember years ago standing in the Champs Elysees in Paris watching the end of the tour-de-France, wearing an old Yankees cap, a souvenir of our first trip to the States. Minding my own business I was most surprised to be accosted by a southern "gentleman" who told me in no uncertain terms to get rid of the damned Yankee cap! I think he may have had a drink!

Nobody complains about my UWis Badgers cap tho!

The South.

Yes an Englishman in The South is still much appreciated for the stand we took over "The War between the States". I remember when I first relocated to Greensboro I was taking photos of some antebellum mansions on West Market Street (I think) when an old dear came out and asked me what I was doing ("Taking photos for my Mum, Ma'am"). Soon as she heard I was English she invited me to both Church and Dinner!

Some residents of North Carolina have a more authentic English accent than the real English..............

Best, Pete.

Some residents of North Carolina have a more authentic English accent than the real English..............

Best, Pete.

Pete

That's not surprising when you hear how the average teenager/youth speaks over here!

Craig, I love iced tea!

It's amazing how easy you can convert to it - a couple of months of 99f and 99% humidity at 6:00pm does it!

Mind you there is Iced Tea then there is Iced Tea........what I mean is there are just as many arguments in the South about how it should be made as Hot Tea in England...

Best, Pete.

The South.

Yes an Englishman in The South is still much appreciated for the stand we took over "The War between the States". I remember when I first relocated to Greensboro I was taking photos of some antebellum mansions on West Market Street (I think) when an old dear came out and asked me what I was doing ("Taking photos for my Mum, Ma'am"). Soon as she heard I was English she invited me to both Church and Dinner!

Best, Pete.

That was, kind sir, The War Of Northern Aggression cool.gif

Anyway, Pete's right about the English appreciation here. Frenchmen get laughed at, Germans tolerated, but Americans are fools for English, Irish or Scottish accents.

And I'm betting Pete's last sentence is referring to the denizens of North Carolina's Outer Banks and the islands of Ocracoke and Hatteras. Some say it sounds of Norfolk...you decide:

Whatever the accent, the Outer Banks have some of the most beautiful beaches on the east coast of the United States, and unlike California the water's actually warm!

Archived