Webcam at Fostoria, Ohio

Northpoint

I see the good Prof. Klyzir is now mixing it on the chatroom.........................Anyone who does not know the Prof. he is a doyen of micro layouts and the designer builder of one of my all time favourites "Brooklyn: 3:00am".

Best, Pete.

PS Gotta get me a Pick Up truck if I ever visit (either that or a beat up Saturn).

I can't get the Roanoke cam to work when I click on it I just get a black screen......I've been there. Used to be a nice museum by NS. The town used to be called "Big Lick" - I kid you not.

Best, Pete.

PS Gotta get me a Pick Up truck if I ever visit (either that or a beat up Saturn)

Yeah I think you'd fit right in if you turned up in a truck. If it's at least 10 years old and has at least one different coloured body panel then so much the better... ;)

Or one of those camper bodies. That would do it...

Hi,

Turned out the weather in Fostoria today was exactly the same as NE England - raining, so the only thing to do was some work on Palmetto,

and with my workbench sharing space with my PC, check out the action at Fostoria.

Problem was, I couldn't concentrate on modelling, there's just too much action, and also, as mentioned by Pete (Trisonic), Prof Klyzr was in

the chatroom, highly entertaining.

The picture quality isn't great but the sound is superb. One minute it's all quiet, just the pattering rain and birds twittering, then suddenly all hell

breaks out with the noise of diesel horns blaring - Great stuff!

Meanwhile, in the chatroom some guy had cut himself trying to do some work on his layout while watching the action. As I was holding a Stanley knife

at the time, I thought maybe it's time to turn on the radio.;)

cheers,

Mal

Hi all,

Did I see a posting ont there that said there was a higher quality view available if you signed up?

or was that just wishful thinking!

Thanks

It's a bit more than just signing up.....

The free service that I guess we are all watching is SD quality with up to 500Kbps. To access the HD quality (up to 1700Kbps) you have to sign up for the Premium Service which costs, wait for it, $350 per month or $3,500 for an annual subscription.....:blink:

I guess I'll stay with the SD quality then....B)

Premium Service which costs, wait for it, $350 per month or $3,500 for an annual subscription.....:blink:

I guess I'll stay with the SD quality then....B)

That's more than most cars in Fostoria are worth....................sorry residents, just having a snigger at your expense (sic).

Best, Pete.

Hi,

After watching Fostoria yesterday, last night's bedtime reading was 'CSX' by Brian Solomon.

He shows a photo with a caption describing Fostoria as one of the busiest junctions in the US and

a strategic point on CSX. The entire town is criss-crossed by railroad tracks.

The old B&O mainline to Chicago crosses the old C&O main to Toledo at grade at F tower.

Connecting tracks allow trains to diverge in any direction. In addition, both lines cross Norfolk Southerns's former

Nickel Plate Road mainline.

Then I get to thinking that I could easily add another grade crossing on Palmetto, so every time a train enters or leaves

I've got an excuse for bells and horns blaring!:rolleyes:

No wonder, I didn't sleep last night :(

Mal

• RMweb Gold

About 8 miles east of Fostoria the CSX tracks run alongside the road for a long straight section.

Here's the Google streetview, with a long CSX freight alongside as the Google camera car passed by. You can work your way all along the road looking in detail at the stuff we've been listening to lately:

(Press the Up and Down arrow keys to move along. It's almost exactly one wagon per key press. :) )

Streetview, Tiffin-Fostoria road

Martin.

Wow. We're looking at the simpler side of town, trackwise..............

Maybe - not shown on that diagram but within the map area on the West side of town are *loads* of tracks to the South West on the NS (NKP) line, including a connection to the CSX (B&O) - that accounts for all the switching and shoving moves you sometimes see as they seem to use the yard to the East to stage the cars.

That''s a really useful map to have around though if you're watching, you keep seeing comments like "Q295 past Tifflin" and that helps give a sense of where things are coming from and how far away they are!

Another place listed on there that's well worth a visit is Marion OH, shown there as 45 miles away to the South on the ex C&O line, there you also have three double track mains crossing (but only 2 sets of diamonds) but the depot is between the pairs of diamonds so you can see all moves from one place - the preserved depot. Not quite as busy as Fostoria, but with three main lines it's not a quiet place either!

Archived