Webcam at Fostoria, Ohio

Northpoint

Thanks guys, I've got it now.

If the guys are in the Rail Bar can they see the trains?

The bar doesn't look like it's got any windows!:blink:

Time to go over to Fostoria while I build my grade crossing for Palmetto. Must be careful with that Stanley knife!

Mal

ps Oooh! The postie's just arrived with a Pikestuff structure and Railbox car. Can things get any better today :rolleyes:

I was going to suggest we all meet one weekend in Fostoria but according to that map there are no hotels and the best restaurant appears to be a Wendy's............I've never seen a town without at least a Motel6.

Best, Pete.

There's been lots of container trains today; interesting to see containers stacked two high ....

Welcome to real Railroading, WS... :D

Also keep in mind that a Class 66 is only just as high as the low hood at the front of the cab on these US locos (as seen here)... oh if only I.K.Brunel had won the 19th Century gauge battle instead of Tiny-minded George Stephenson... :rolleyes: :( :angry:

See why so many of us UK modellers like US trains....?? ;) :)

Welcome to real Railroading, WS... :D

Also keep in mind that a Class 66 is only just as high as the low hood at the front of the cab on these US locos (as seen here)... oh if only I.K.Brunel had won the 19th Century gauge battle instead of Tiny-minded George Stephenson... :rolleyes: :( :angry:

See why so many of us UK modellers like US trains....?? ;) :)

Hi,

Couldn't agree more!

Much as I like 66s, they're just too quiet

I live about 300 yards from a freight line ,when I pop around to the Co-op for a bottle of milk at 4.00pm, I always get stuck at the crossing.

Along comes a 66 like a silent ghost at 10mph, no bells obviously, but I've never ever heard a horn, The other day it was even inapropriately named - 'Blue Lightning';)

Mal

Over here you don't usually see them loaded enough to make much noise, but get one in a position where it's working really hard and a 66 sounds a lot nicer. Out of Felixstowe North with a heavy liner isn't a bad test but i'm sure there are others?

And over there they can load em more as they don't have a passenger train every few minutes that they need to stay out of the way of. ;)

Next time I'm over in Arizona (not likely this year) I'll make sure to take pics outside the Flagstaff/Winslow axis.....

I found a spot somewhere around Holbrook and the Petrified Forest National Park on the BNSF Mainline in itself between Flagstaff AZ and Gallup NM where you can see down the line close to twenty miles and watch the line up of double deckers coming towards you clocking close to 70 mph across the High Desert - very impressive! Interesting mix of motive power on that line too.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

yeah the kids and the drunk guy yesterday morning were kinda scary!

You think that's scary?

I happened to be watching in the early hours on Sunday morning their time. In a period of on and off viewing for an hour and a half, I saw 3 cars do a U turn over the crossing (one actually a 3 point turn), the first being believe it or not, by a police patrol car! OK the lights, boom gates weren't flashing at the time, but even so. Is this 'normal' behaviour by Americans when it comes to railway crossings?

I've heard that with level crossings, they have a higher than average number of people choose that small section of road, to stall their vehicles. Presumably it comes down to a degree of panic, but how much worse is it, if the lights/boom gates start coming down while doing a silly manouver such as a U turn?

Kevin Martin

Ive been watching this off and on over the last few days, I like it :)

dont know anything about US railroads which is one reason why I like it, lots of surprises. the fact its busy and the trains are so long.

I saw a train with army vehicles on the other day.

Its like when my dad used to watch trains back in the 60s he said the freights where always more interesting.

Im getting radio interference on it tonight, dont know if anyone else is?

I've been following it as well Mike and just amazed at the amount of racket that comes across in the very early hours of the morning. How anyone sleeps is beyond me..:)

There has always been a link to a scanner on the site which has been bubbling away in the background, so do you mean this when you refer to radio interference? Perhaps you hadn't noticed it before or they have increased the volume of that broadcast....

Edit: Having listened in, it is certainly louder than before. Just trying to work out if it is train related or a local taxi company....

Edit 2: Nope, definitely train related, but I agree the volume is higher than before..

Well that's a first for me. Two huge freights running next each other in the same direction on adjacent tracks and just a few feet apart. Jeez, the horns are noisy at the best of times, but multiply every sound by two and I'm surprised anyone is asleep after that.....:blink:

03.48 in the morning. Deafening, but beautiful just the same....

So next time you go train racing and someone comments 'that's not protypical'............Oh, yes it is...:D

• RMweb Premium

You think that's scary?

I happened to be watching in the early hours on Sunday morning their time. In a period of on and off viewing for an hour and a half, I saw 3 cars do a U turn over the crossing (one actually a 3 point turn), the first being believe it or not, by a police patrol car! OK the lights, boom gates weren't flashing at the time, but even so. Is this 'normal' behaviour by Americans when it comes to railway crossings?

I've heard that with level crossings, they have a higher than average number of people choose that small section of road, to stall their vehicles. Presumably it comes down to a degree of panic, but how much worse is it, if the lights/boom gates start coming down while doing a silly manouver such as a U turn?

Kevin Martin

Crossing accidents are the most numerous kind of rail accident in the states, several hundred a week. Having said that many lines have only one train a day or less and at low speeds.

Yank railroads sure are a sight for a Brit. In 2000 family & self went to California flydrive. Well I'd heard about Tehachapi loop and read in Trains mag about the La Quinta Motel in Tehachapi (500 Stueber Rd, Tehachapi, CA, United States +1 661-823-8000) that is located right next to the line. "Ask for a room with a railroad view" said the article writer, so I did.

Now this motel ain't near the loop (5 miles away) but right at the summit, where they cut off the mid train locomotives - yes, in the middle of the night 24 / 7 - wife was NOT impressed to say the least, with me getting up and opening the windows & all the railroad noise !!. Though we only stayed 2 nights, I loved every minute. The town is small, with a few basic facilities, and a had nice modelshop (back in 2000). The loop was awesome, though it was Sunday when we went, there where several trains in a couple of hours.

Don't forget Yankland is huge, hence large, long trains. Some of their freight trains, if in the UK would arrive before the back end had departed!!

Fostoria webcam off air at moment for refurb, but its a superb location. Check out the Roanoke cam also http://128.173.197.94/railcamax.htm

Brit15

Now this motel ain't near the loop (5 miles away) but right at the summit, where they cut off the mid train locomotives - yes, in the middle of the night 24 / 7 - wife was NOT impressed to say the least, with me getting up and opening the windows & all the railroad noise !!.

There is a hotel in Shreveport, LA that is about as close to the tracks as it can get. Two KCS lines cross behind the hotel and there is connction track between the two lines. I was staying there for a meeting and the ground floor meeting room had a back door (emergency exit) If you went out that door they had a railing just beyond the swing of the door to force you go parallel to the building. That's because the KCS double track main line is just past the railing. The hotel is literally less than 20 feet from two main tracks. Fortunately there aren't any grade crossings close so all you hear are train movement noises.

Archived