MaGeR Replacement gears for Farish puzzle.

point blank

I have purchsed one of the MaGeR bulk packs of Farish gears to replace the split ones on my stock.

The pack states it

'Contains 4 each of the following moulded gears for Farish Poole built locos

12, 16 and 25 tooth Type 1 for all Diesels and Bogies

16 and 25 tooth Type 2 for DMU and Railcars'

What is the difference between the Type 1 and 2.

They are all mixed up in the pack and I can't see anything to tell me which 4 of the 8, 16 tooth gears are the Type 1 for my locos.

All 8 seem to be identical in size and pitch just like the 8, 25 tooth ones.

Any clues anybody?

I have purchsed one of the MaGeR bulk packs of Farish gears to replace the split ones on my stock.

The pack states it

'Contains 4 each of the following moulded gears for Farish Poole built locos

12, 16 and 25 tooth Type 1 for all Diesels and Bogies

16 and 25 tooth Type 2 for DMU and Railcars'

What is the difference between the Type 1 and 2.

They are all mixed up in the pack and I can't see anything to tell me which 4 of the 8, 16 tooth gears are the Type 1 for my locos.

All 8 seem to be identical in size and pitch just like the 8, 25 tooth ones.

Any clues anybody?

Type 2 gears refer to those used on the ends of the armatures/worm shafts of 101 DMUs and GWR Railcars. They have a smaller diameter central hole for so fitting, but are otherwise identical to the type 1 equivalents.

HTH,

Alan

Thanks Alan. I did try using the shafts of my micro drills to measure the hole diameters but couldn't notice any real difference in internal diameter. If thats the case then I don't suppose it matters if I use the wrong type as long as they are tight on the shaft/axle.

Thanks Alan. I did try using the shafts of my micro drills to measure the hole diameters but couldn't notice any real difference in internal diameter. If thats the case then I don't suppose it matters if I use the wrong type as long as they are tight on the shaft/axle.

Oh, it will matter. It's the reason these gears split in the first place - too tight a fit.

You want to open out the hole so they fit but not too tightly (both type and type 2) - otherwise there's a good chance they'll split as you fit them, or again at a later date.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the additional advice Alan. I will bear that in mind when I do my next loco, too late for the first which had all 6 of the 16 tooth gears split!

Markus, MaGeR is a brand name, I am not sure what it means or stands for. According to BRM magazine Aprill 2011 it is the previous trading name of Lytchett Manor Models.

Chris

I think it is an acronym of two former Farish employees Martin and (George?)Richter (Father and Son) who developed and sold replacement gears and other bits for Farish models(Including the said oil) after leaving Farish.

Im sure someone will correct me if this is wrong...

Regards

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, i also have some split gears to replace, i know it may sound a daft question, but are they just the gears themselves or are they attached to wheel sets? Thanks

Just the gears I believe - a selection of the various types is in the pack.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived