Hornby Magazine/Dapol Stove R .

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

With the full permission of Mike Wild and the Hornby Magazine team I am pleased to be able to post the following images of the first pre-production model of the Stove R in 4mm scale. I am aware that amendments and slight tweaks are already being made prior to full production.

Mike Wild has commented that he has "test run the model in various formations including at the rear, middle and front of an eight coach rake of Bachmann Mk 1s. Here it has performed faultlessly and even being propelled at full tilt with a the van immediately in front of the engine it didn’t derail! There is plenty of weight in it!"

post-243-056580900 1286817163_thumb.jpg

post-243-063984300 1286817203_thumb.jpg

post-243-029603400 1286817194_thumb.jpg

post-243-061110400 1286817154_thumb.jpg

post-243-054359300 1286817170_thumb.jpg

post-243-095115400 1286817183_thumb.jpg

post-243-096888700 1286817207_thumb.jpg

post-243-056296100 1286817213_thumb.jpg

post-243-029569000 1286817222_thumb.jpg

post-243-087459800 1286817230_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Was not going to get one of these but now I have seen it I might have too find a home for one :D

It mentions something in the magazine about being on a mailing list for the order forms when they come out but do not recall how to get onto this mailing list.

• RMweb Gold

A few more bits of information that I missed from my original post that should answer Simon and Garry's questions:The Stove R is the first Dapol ‘OO’ gauge model to feature sprung buffers and it also has small tension lock couplings, fine profile wheels, a finely moulded body, separately fitted footboards and steps, brass handrails, separate gangway connections and full underframe detail. The chassis features a floating centre axle and pivoting outer axles to allow it to negotiate second radius curves.

On completion the Stove R will be available with five different liveries: LMS lined maroon with maroon ends, LMS lined maroon with black ends, BR crimson, BR maroon and BR blue. The LMS and BR blue versions will be available with one running number initially while the BR crimson and maroon versions will be available with a choice of two running numbers.

Final details of the livery specification were being completed during September ahead of the models planned launch in November this year.

At this point Hornby Magazine are not taking customer orders, but those who previously registered their interest in the model will receive order forms by e-mail or post shortly and the next issue of Hornby Magazine (Which I believe to be the December issue published early November) will include details of how to order the model.

Mike Wild and Hornby Magazine stand will also be at the Wycrail exhibiton run by the High Wycombe and District MRS on Saturday 6th November.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Graham especially the bit about the running tests as I did wonder how those pivoting outer axles might perform.

Anyway it looks as good as it has sounded from Day 1 so I'm looking forward to my email order form and I shall definitely be confirming my original 'notice of intent' for a couple.

It looks a lovely little model. Just one niggling point- it looks as though the brake shoes are in line with the axleguards rather than the wheels. Is this the case, or is it just my tired eyes deceiving me?

No that was mentioned in a previous mag, (can't remember which one). They had a choice, either make it dimensionally or OO gauge accurate. They went for dimensionally accurate so those of the EM/P4 persuasion wouldn't run into trouble.

Can't remember if my name's on the pre-order list or not :( I hope it is!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Graham especially the bit about the running tests as I did wonder how those pivoting outer axles might perform.

Anyway it looks as good as it has sounded from Day 1 so I'm looking forward to my email order form and I shall definitely be confirming my original 'notice of intent' for a couple.

How do you get on the email distribution list?

Thanks.

Garry

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

Garry

Garry

I am just checking to see if the original email address used for registration of an interest is still valid. I wil let you know as soon as I do.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

Garry

Garry did you reply to the original magazine request to 'express an interest'? The situation as I understand it is that if you did so you should get an email with an order form.

EDIT - I have since had an email - as quoted in this thread by 'Free At Last', so presumably I'm still in the system; we'll see what happens next.

• RMweb Gold

Garry did you reply to the original magazine request to 'express an interest'? The situation as I understand it is that if you did so you should get an email with an order form.

Hi, No I did not register then.

Email received.

Hornby Magazine’s model of the LMS Stove R six-wheel passenger brake has now been cleared for tooling work to start, with the final CAD/CAM drawings being approved for production in mid-June.

CAD/CAM drawing work has been handled by Dapol and it features a series of innovations to make the model more attractive including pivoting outer axles and a floating centre axle to allow the model to negotiated second radius curves, sprung buffers (a first for a Dapol ‘OO’ gauge model), a fully detailed underframe and more.

Five liveries are planned for the model on release covering LMS lined maroon with maroon ends as 32919, LMS lined maroon with black ends as 32925, BR crimson as 32926 and 32927, BR maroon as 32928 and 32929 and BR blue as 32930. The price per vehicle will be £27.95 (subject to VAT increases in January 2011) and the models are expected to available in November this year.

Full details for how to order Hornby Magazine’s Stove R will be published in a forthcoming issue and further updates on the tooling work will feature in Update as they happen.

I was thinking they'd put the brakes out of the way of the wheels to allow the wheels to pivot and hadn't thought they'd have the axleguards pivoting too! Any idea what the wheel diameter was Graham? Looks like 12mm wheels instead of 14.2mm. The brakes are still wrong for P4 and nothing like the prototype anyway so they'd be removed pretty sharpish anyway along with the pivoting system..

Body looks decent though late maroon/blue modellers are going to have fun cutting some of the beading off the sides! Biggest gripe would be moulding window bars into the glazing instead of just printing it on so people could remove the paint and fit proper bars behind. Doing it this way means you really have to replace the glazing with laser cut stuff as a matter of course.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks.

Garry

With regard to ordering, Mike wild has advised me that the policy is as follows.

Pre-registration has now closed to safeguard the priority offered to those who registered in the early stages of the project. All those who pre-registered will receive an order form by e-mail or post this week allowing them the first chance to order the model(s). A full order form will be published in the December issue of Hornby Magazine (This can also be made available as a PDF download for any forum users after publication of the December issue).

• RMweb Gold

Please remember that I am just the messenger here but I will attempt to obatin answers to any questions raised here, Mike Wild has advised that he will discuss these comments with Dapol and provide a further response in due course.

Hi Graham,

I refer to the continuous stepboard that should continue to the right-hand end of the coach and overlap the dragbeam in the usual LMS manner. The left-hand end is about correct

"The step boards on the current pre-production model reflect those fitted to the preserved example, It is quite possible that it could be a post preservation modification but on the other hand it could be a difference between the two batches (the Hornby Magazine model represents the later batch)"

I was thinking they'd put the brakes out of the way of the wheels to allow the wheels to pivot and hadn't thought they'd have the axleguards pivoting too! Any idea what the wheel diameter was Graham? Looks like 12mm wheels instead of 14.2mm. The brakes are still wrong for P4 and nothing like the prototype anyway so they'd be removed pretty sharpish anyway along with the pivoting system.

Mike also advises "that with respect to the brake blocks position that is his is new favourite question – whichever way they chose to model them with this theyI would have been wrong, so it was a difficult call to make. Re the wheels they are currently 12mm diameter – he will check the measurements to ascertain whether they should be 14.2mm carriage wheels or not."

I wil of course continue to pass on any constructive comments or questions received in the spirit of achivning the best possible model within the usual commercial constraints etc.

I refer to the continuous stepboard that should continue to the right-hand end of the coach and overlap the dragbeam in the usual LMS manner. The left-hand end is about correct.

As shown here:

M32996M

"The step boards on the current pre-production model reflect those fitted to the preserved example, It is quite possible that it could be a post preservation modification but on the other hand it could be a difference between the two batches (the Hornby Magazine model represents the later batch)"

Equally, all the preserved vehicles I can trace photos of show the variant of the Hornby Magazine model:

http://www4.rhul.ac.uk/bluebell/pics/32975.html

http://www.svr-rollingstocktrust.org.uk/LMS/32919.html (which was originally preserved on the Dart Valley [now South Devon Railway] where dad worked on it)

As do the few on Paul bartlett's site:

http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/c1162812.html

I don't know about the various batches can't say whether this is the reason or whether this is an in service modification in their later BR use. One thing I am sure of, however, is the wheels - standard coach wheels (so 14mm in 4mm scale).

Adam

• RMweb Gold

With regard to ordering, Mike wild has advised me that the policy is as follows.

Pre-registration has now closed to safeguard the priority offered to those who registered in the early stages of the project. All those who pre-registered will receive an order form by e-mail or post this week allowing them the first chance to order the model(s). A full order form will be published in the December issue of Hornby Magazine (This can also be made available as a PDF download for any forum users after publication of the December issue).

Emailed order forms are now being sent out - I received mine today. They have to be submitted by ordinary post so here's hoping that bit works ok.

Overall it seems a very well thought out system as it does help and give some precedence to those who put their names down in support of the project, as Graham has said. (also means we have to put our money where our mouths were, and that is no bad thing in my view).

Just ordered 2 by phone.

The Ian Allan Mail Order dept. have not been advised of this nor is it on their system yet but they will take your order - be nice to the ladies as they are not pleased about it B)

These look very tasty - yes some fettling will be in order for P4 but cannae complain...

Mike also advises "that with respect to the brake blocks position that is his is new favourite question – whichever way they chose to model them with this theyI would have been wrong, so it was a difficult call to make. Re the wheels they are currently 12mm diameter – he will check the measurements to ascertain whether they should be 14.2mm carriage wheels or not."

My comment was more to do with them not actually looking like the brake shoes fitted to the real thing, much more elongated like RCH wagon brake shoes. The wheels definitely aren't 12mm as it wouldn't have been an express passenger brake with those. I guess Dapol may have done the old dodge of fitting undersize ones to avoid fouling behind the solebars. http://www.gallery6801.fotopic.net/p37005410.html shows a decent closeup on the real brake shoes and also shows what the J hangers should look like, those have also been stretched. Axlebox covers should also slope outwards at the bottom on the type fitted to these, they look flat on the model.

(so 14mm in 4mm scale).

Adam

Most coach wheels should be bigger than 14mm, I think its 3' 7 1/2, 14mm would be a worn profile. BR went for 3ft 6 wheels (14mm) with the BR1 bogie for the mk1 however though you can't actually get a 14mm wheel in P4 though 00 may be ok with the Bachmann/Hornby item.

(Actually I haven't checked what Alan Gibson does but I wouldn't buy those anyway).

These look very tasty - yes some fettling will be in order for P4 but cannae complain...

If by some fettling you mean complete replacement of everything below the solebars then yes a little ;).

Archived