Heljan Western

BromsMods

Love them or hate them, we have just received notification from Heljan that they are to release a further batch of Western diesel locos towards the end of this year. Info is as follows:

5217 - D1002 'Western Explorer' - green with small yellow warning panels; ex-works gloss finish

5218 - D1040 'Western Queen' - maroon with small yellow warning panels

5219 - D1030 'Western Musketeer' - early blue with small yellow warning panels

5220 - D1073 'Western Bulwark' - blue with full yellow ends

5221 - D1000 'Western Enterprise' - Desert Sand; ex-works gloss finish

Due for release November/December 2011 at a suggested SRP of £99,00.

• Like 3

Brave re-releasing an inaccurate model when Dapol are promising a 'definitive' western.

IMO it would be a brave man that fell for a 'definitive' model from Dapol before seeing it. Being a bit niave when it comes to Diesel locos, what are the faults with the Heljan model, anyone?
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For an 'inaccurate' model the last batch Heljan released didn't hang around on the shelves too long. Should prove an interesting head-to-head as the Dapol one has a promised release date around the same time. I'm eagerly awaiting the 22 as it will be my first ever Dapol loco. Hopefully it will be good enough to encourage me to buy more of their products!

• Like 1

. I'm pretty sure that the problem with the Heljan Western was shape issues with the cab roofs.

Cab roof was the most significant, yes; various other bits of the nose and nose furniture are a bit out in their disposition to each other, a bit like the first Bachmann 37/0s

It's not particularly brave IMO, the tooling costs will probably be written off by now and Heljan probably judge they can keep shifting a few - just look at the 47 reruns. A lot of buyers won't even know of the Dapol model, those that do could well be thinking 'better the devil you know'

• Like 2

IMO it would be a brave man that fell for a 'definitive' model from Dapol before seeing it. Being a bit niave when it comes to Diesel locos, what are the faults with the Heljan model, anyone?

So far, Dapol have zero track record in producing a 4mm loco mechanism - unless you want to count the Pendolino which I expect they would rather forget. So the definitive model only looks that way so far.

Still, we could always put a Dapol body on a Heljan mechanism...

I am not 100% happy with my Heljan Westerns, but I did pick the up at under 50.00 each, and one of them was only 35.00. I don't think Dapol will get close to that. Plus their recent N gauge models have been produced in such tiny volumes that you struggled to get your hands on them.

• Like 1

Horses for courses.

I would like to own some 4mm Dapol motive power.

Very tempted to have at least one D63xx, and would like a Lion.

but................ not tempted enough until I see one before partign with hard earned spondulix.

I do have a token D1058 from Heljan, but can't really justify another Western for Sedgeley Jn.

Time for some more green D5370s and D5380s I think !!!

• RMweb Gold

I notice that two of them are being sold in ex works gloss finish. Has anyone on here actually bought one of these glossy westerns in the past? They look good in the photos, but at the head of a train, do they look unrealistically shiny and only fit for the display cabinet?

• Like 1

I notice that two of them are being sold in ex works gloss finish. Has anyone on here actually bought one of these glossy westerns in the past? They look good in the photos, but at the head of a train, do they look unrealistically shiny and only fit for the display cabinet?

Don't know about the Western, but I bought a shiny Heljan 33 and had to exchange it because it was far too shiny in my eyes - finish looked almost like tinplate.

• Like 1

I would agree with that. Heljan seem to be going through a bit of a phase with this glossy finish but it really does make them look toy-like. I nearly had a Western until I saw the glossy finish and was glad I had not pre-ordered it.

Brave re-releasing an inaccurate model when Dapol are promising a 'definitive' western.

If it is as popular a subject as classes 08, 20, 33, 37, 40, 42, 47, 55, 66 then the choice between 'cheaper but in some ways inferior' and 'more expensive, significantly better' should be sustainable. It's a sign of a strong market that there is room for quality and price choice.

I would like to own some 4mm Dapol motive power.

On the other hand, quite honestly, I would not. <_<

I know we should be supporting British products, but I just can't see a British company making a product which is as good value for money as what's being offered from the Far East.

Plus the fact that Dapol have announced loads of new 4mm models and haven't even delivered any of them yet does leave me somewhat skeptical. :unsure:

Even the pre-production fotos of the LMS Twins, for example, haven't convinced me. To me the Bachmann Twins look far more realistic and detailed.

I do wish them good luck with there plans, as it has to be said they're certainly trying and maximum respect to them for that.

Has anyone on here actually bought one of these glossy westerns in the past? They look good in the photos, but at the head of a train, do they look unrealistically shiny and only fit for the display cabinet?

I have a D1001 in shiny maroon. It's a beauty. I think it looks very realistic and I'd certainly buy other glossy locos.

There are some photos of my Western in the link below.

• RMweb Premium

Judgement reserved until product seen for the Dapol 1000s but the Heljan ones are mechanically superb and will gamely haul as much as you can couple to the hook. 25 Mk1 coaches is my record; any more than that and the drag pulled them off on the corners. The baseball cap effect of the inaccurately represented cab roof looks obviously wrong to even the slightly knowledgeable but can be corrected to a degree with deft use of files.

With several of the Heljan type already in the fleet I am happy enough with their performance (but definitely not their front-end looks) to consider another.

Hi all,

I won't say much about Dapol, given this is a Heljan thread, but I believe the Dapol/Model Rail Sentinel is a 4mm unit... and that unit's mechanism seemed to run really smoothly when I saw it at the Warley show. Despite being smaller, a larger, heavier loco 'iron out' differences in running smoothness. So, to be fair to Dapol, I would reserve judgement on them until their final production models are released. :)

Regarding Heljan, however, I was pleased to see another couple of gloss finish Westerns announced. The gloss maroon Western (and green Class 15) look really good, in my view. For me, it is a little sad to see D1000 being released again, given it was in the last set of releases but I guess that gives more people the chance to own one, so not really a bad thing. I assume it will have a full sand front end and not a half yellow, as it is described as being 'ex-works gloss'? I understand that limited numbers of all of them are to be produced, so I expect Heljan are confident of smaller sales.

To Heljan, I say Good Luck - I am certainly contemplating one (or two!), even though I am still looking to the other manufacturer's offerings in the near(ish ;) ) future :D

Cheers,

Ixion.

On the other hand, quite honestly, I would not. <_<

I know we should be supporting British products, but I just can't see a British company making a product which is as good value for money as what's being offered from the Far East.

Erm you do realise it will be made in China in exactly the same way that Hornby (also a British company) do it? Yes Dapol don't have a 4mm track record yet and im skeptical until I see them in the shops but your argument is just factually incorrect there.

The gloss finish i've seen applied to Heljan stuff seems to be far too thick and much too shiny, its also on bits that aren't normally that shiny and due to the thickness of application it can't really be fixed with the weathering.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty sure that the problem with the Heljan Western was shape issues with the cab roofs.

Well yes, technically that is true, as has been said by others.

Phil said in his posting on this thread 'horses for courses'. I think I've got to go along with that philosophy. Some things irritate me on models, others do not. I will admit to having a pet hate of GW locos where the smokebox door is obviously wrong, such as the Airfix/Hornby 14XX.

But with regards to the Heljan Western, I've got to ask the question, if the roof profile bothers you, then that's fair enough, but is it wrong enough to make the model look like something else? Does it look like a Hymek, for example - answer - 'no!' Does it look like a Black 5 - answer - 'no!' So what does the model look like, when you put it on the track - answer - a 'Western!'

I'm all in favour of getting models 'spot on', and might even buy a Dapol Western myself, if it's as good as they say it will be. I'm also planning to get one of those new perfect Class 33s from Rail Exclusives, not because I'm then going to junk my existing Heljan one, but because it would be nice to have a 'perfect' Class 33.

In the meantime, I'm far more likely to need counselling over the poor running qualities of certain Bachmann steam locos than the appearance of my Heljan Western or Class 33! ;) :P

So far, Dapol have zero track record in producing a 4mm loco mechanism - unless you want to count the Pendolino which I expect they would rather forget......

Wahahahahahahaha :lol: - you've just reminded me of the triumph on people's faces at Warley 2000 when they could be seen proudly brandishing their brand-new Pendolino box sets. You know the type of thing - "It's mine - all mine!".

All went a bit quiet after that. Can't think why......

• 2 weeks later...

So far, Dapol have zero track record in producing a 4mm loco mechanism - unless you want to count the Pendolino which I expect they would rather forget. So the definitive model only looks that way so far.

As a victim of the Dapolino, I will be sticking with Heljan until Dapol can prove they have the ability to produce a reliable mechanism in 4mm. I have a selection of Heljan diesels ( and my layout is set in the 1930's) and I can sum them up in one phrase, 'they work'.

And what have I seen from Dapol? A continually expanding list of intentions, reminiscent of the annual wish lists. This 'most accurate' 52 to date is all well and good, but I am more interested in the mechanism and it's life span. Trix, Hornby, Lima & Heljan have all made compromises with their 52's for good reason. They have to negotiate inaccurate bends. I have asked the question in another thread as to how Dapol intend to overcome this problem, but there has been no response.

I see Heljan are producing another batch as previous production runs have either sold out or in limited supply, so Heljan must be doing something right.

If you are reading this Heljan, I shall be treating myself to a D1073, as based on the reliability of the 47's, Falcon, Kestrel, Lion, I own, I will stick with a known supplier, who has actually produced the items they promise.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Fair opinions and I too reserve judgement until the product is seen though have two Dapol ones on pre-order. Though I have reservations about earlier Heljan ones as well. Not so much the guts as those wheels which spend more time being cleaned than hauling anything. Newer batches are much better.

As a total western nut through and through i have grown to love the Heljan version and look forward to there next batch which am sure will be a lot cheaper than dapols offering.The running qualitys of 2 out of 3 as my 1015 seems to have the old wheelsets is second to none and worth every penny.

richard.

While I don't have too many problems with my earlier Heljan Western with original wheels, I was browsing Howes' website last night and they not only have the replacement wheelsets to the newer style (I have already fitted these to my 33s, a 35 and a 47) but now havw the sprue available with the wheel inserts, so I may well be treating my Western to an update soon!

Like many others here, I am awaiting the first super-detailed Dapol models (the class 22??) to see how the mechanism stacks up before I even think of buying one.

• 7 months later...

Has anyone any step by step photos of any work done on re-profiling the roof visor to the correct shape and any fitment of roof fan and walkways .

Would be most handy as dapols version has allready delayed for a few months so need to get my Heljan ones up to scratch.

regards.

richard.

Edited by D1030western musketeer