Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

• RMweb Premium

I??™m rather surprised that there was never one allocated to 86B (Newport EJ). I remember them on the Golden Mile working Western Valley trains.

Although allocated to Cardiff Canton for Maintenance purposes, they may well have been 'outstationed' at Newport EJ for local traffic.

• Like 1

Thanks for those shed allocations Kenton. I??™m rather surprised that there was never one allocated to 86B (Newport EJ). I remember them on the Golden Mile working Western Valley trains.

Pity that there won??™t be a drop-in conversion kit from Ultrascale - I rather fancy one in P4. Let??™s hope the new guys in charge of Alan Gibson come up trumps!

Although not allocated to 86B, I believe the Canton ones were sub-shedded at EJ and the drivers were fully trained on them.

Would always seem to be two or three on shed at weekend whilst STJ saw them regularly aswell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Although not allocated to 86B, I believe the Canton ones were sub-shedded at EJ and the drivers were fully trained on them.

Would always seem to be two or three on shed at weekend whilst STJ saw them regularly aswell.

I have seen photos of a D95XX (with an 86A shedcode) on shed at Ebbw and at least one at some stage worked a Radyr based diagram (the Treforest Estate trip).

• Like 2

As always with shed Allocations - take it as where BR sent them - not where they always resided. Most locomotive (of all types) got sent, usually at the front of trains, to all sorts of other locations connected by rails to the 'allocated' shed - and sometimes when their driver's backs were turned they were even photographed at these strange locations ;)

Guest Max Stafford

Well, D9500/19/22 were perfect for the Kelso goods service and local engineers' work after they arrived in mid '68...! ;)

Dave

Well, D9500/19/22 were perfect for the Kelso goods service and local engineers' work after they arrived in mid '68...! ;)

Dave

Of course! Knew I'd seen that somewhere. And as my branch is officially now freight only (seasonal asparagus traffic, pigeons and the thrice weekly coal merchants trip) this is the perfect solution. Excellent!

I'm pretty sure these were frequent performers on the Waverley Route, banking and station pilot duties typically. Yep, that's right, time to wave the Visa about again.... ;)

I can't see how they could have been anywhere near the Waverley Route in BR days - Hull was definitely the furthest North and that is one heck of a distance away to stretch imagination.

Of the ones sold on to private use, I doubt very much if they would have been let back on to such duties.

We have also to remember that the Class 17 was often mis sighted as a Class 14.

Of course it is always your model railway and if you want to run a Class 14 on it - I can't blame you for recreating history - I would do the same.

Of course it is always your model railway and if you want to run a Class 14 on it - I can't blame you for recreating history - I would do the same.

Sorry mate! I thought my reference to 'seasonal asparagus traffic' in 1968 would've really given the game away :D

Now just watch someone prove me wrong - like there was some thriving trade in the stuff in Selkirk or somewhere, and all the stuff about Pringle and the like being shipped out by rail was nonsense....

• RMweb Gold

Sorry mate! I thought my reference to 'seasonal asparagus traffic' in 1968 would've really given the game away :D

Now just watch someone prove me wrong - like there was some thriving trade in the stuff in Selkirk or somewhere, and all the stuff about Pringle and the like being shipped out by rail was nonsense....

Definitely a seasonal traffic in asparagus in the Vale of Evesham but apart from it being a long way from Selkirk I would place good money that rail had lost it by the time the D95XXs put in their belated appearance :lol:

I have seen photos of a D95XX (with an 86A shedcode) on shed at Ebbw and at least one at some stage worked a Radyr based diagram (the Treforest Estate trip).

It seemed to be general practice, at least in South Wales, that the smaller depots (STJ/EJ/MG) only had shunters allocated to them, with main-line types allocated to the principal depot of the Division (Canton or Landore). Despite this, each of the smaller depots, and the various stabling points, seemed to have a core of main-line locos unofficially 'allocated' to them, which only returned to the main depot for major exams.

• RMweb Gold

It seemed to be general practice, at least in South Wales, that the smaller depots (STJ/EJ/MG) only had shunters allocated to them, with main-line types allocated to the principal depot of the Division (Canton or Landore). Despite this, each of the smaller depots, and the various stabling points, seemed to have a core of main-line locos unofficially 'allocated' to them, which only returned to the main depot for major exams.

Not exactly but more or less. WR practice was to allocate to main depots for maintenance and thus they usually wore main depot shedplates (or stencilled equivalent thereof). But the loco diagrams could be outbased - thus at Radyr we had several 350hp (i.e. Class 08 diagrams) with the locos living in the yard and only returning to Canton every now and then for fuel and exams.

We also had, in my time there 16/17 EE Type 3 diagrams which were Radyr based although they were fuelled and maintained at Canton and wore Canton depot allocation. While I was there in order to deal with some reliability issues a pool of locos were converted to twin-tanks (using the redundant boiler water tank to extend the fuel tankage) on the basis that they would be out with us all week except for going down to Canton for an A Exam (which in some cases could be delayed a little anyway although on a couple of turns they sometimes needed to go in for new brake blocks after 3 days!!!) - but they still belonged to Canton.

Similarly Aberdare also had 3 or 4 EE Type 3s and at least one 350 shunter and they covered diagrams based on Aberdare but were Canton locos.

Taking the idea a bit further Laira, for example, had locos working in cyclic diagrams which meant they might not see Plymouth for 4 or 5 days and could be working most of the intervening time on Paddington- Bristol/Swansea trains.

Cyclic diagrams tended to fall out of favour because they could very easily fall apart due to failures and locos being stepped-up out of balance but even after the sectors were formed some freight businesses were happy to use 5 day cyclic turns for some classes.

• Like 1

Walked a couple of miles of the former Shotley quarry branch of the BSC Corby Minerals system last Sunday and it occurred to me that the area was just right for modelling, a single track branch wending it's way through the Northamptonshire countryside. Of course I'd need two or three of these things, add some flashing orange beacons, renumber to the BSC numbers on the cabsides....hmmmm

The painted '14' bodies on Hattons look very nice....although the numerals look

too large and have the wrong typeface. The 'D' prefix looks a little distant from

the rest of the numerals too. Are they just samples too??

I just looked. You're right, but I'm not sure that I know the full answer... I seem to recall that the typeface I've seen on prototype photos bore more resemblance to - for want of a better comparator - the Westerns' numbers. The D was spaced more than on contemporary serif numbered traction, but what I'm seeing here is almost a sans-serif typeface dimensioned as though it were serif. It's definitely not quite there.

... I seem to recall that the typeface I've seen on prototype photos bore more resemblance to - for want of a better comparator - the Westerns' numbers.

Yep, it's an odd typeface, and that on the model does look too big. Not a problem if you're renumbering (except you wont know what to use, of course) :D