Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

My D9555 arrived last Thursday and has now done about half an hour on the club layout to run it in.  Absolutely silent on my metre of test track, and behaved itself very well.  I'd ordered a DCC fitted one, largely due to the fun I had with bits randomly falling off the 05 while I was trying to fit the chip.  No issue with it, though it is a Hornby decoder inside it.

Interestingly it is set up with the long end as the front.   A slightly out-of focus pic as I've used the other one in the NO Place thread.  

post-13358-0-60403400-1520362324_thumb.jpg

There has only been one issue so far- the NEM pockets are just like those on the 05 in that they are very floppy and a litttle tight to size.  I had to apply a file to the coupler tongues before they would go in.  The coupler now also droops a little- time will tell if I need to work at it to get the loco to shunt successfully.

Having said that the Bachmann coupler at the other end needed a chunk of flash cutting off the tongues...

Les

• 3 months later...

One problem with these locos is the jackshaft which can flop about excessively from side to side.  I've seen people put split washers either side of the frames to reduce this.  I've had some success with a different approach.  I found an old nylon pen refill which was a slightly larger diameter than usual, split this on one side lengthways and clipped it around the axle between the frames.  It's now been secured and the gap filled with epoxy.  It's worked well for several years and is completely inconspicuous.

post-34152-0-48120800-1529575916.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

One problem with these locos is the jackshaft which can flop about excessively from side to side.  I've seen people put split washers either side of the frames to reduce this.  I've had some success with a different approach.  I found an old nylon pen refill which was a slightly larger diameter than usual, split this on one side lengthways and clipped it around the axle between the frames.  It's now been secured and the gap filled with epoxy.  It's worked well for several years and is completely inconspicuous.

If one did not need to go round trainset curves, probably better to change the connecting rods for rigid.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have here the Hattons 14091 D9531 in BR green that I recently aquired. It doesn't show much if any sign of use. I've just had it out for it's second run on the rolling road. I must say it doesn't seem too happy on there, also when I took it off the rolling road to put it back in the box BOTH cab windows fell out. One I managed to save but the other has disappeared. Has anyone else experienced this?

Pete

Feeling a lot of love for the 95ers being shown on here; I certainly can't justify one on my main line (when it happens), but surely Rule One applies to any coalfields whose exchange sidings might be served....   :angel:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Michael Delamar said:

These shots on Flickr of pairs working between Healey Mills and Hull at Featherstone blew me away!

Teddy bears picnic?

Paxman Portal

A rare trio!

Fantastic Michael,  any clues as to how this came about? Wonder if it's the same pair, I wondered if the last picture the pair were dead in train enroute to Hull 

• 1 year later...

Announced yesterday by Hattons, Heljan are to release a new run of Class 14s which will be a general release, not just with Hattons. At least 2 BR versions, a BP and an NCB versions and a preservation BR maroon version

Edited by rembrow
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, rembrow said:

Announced yesterday by Hattons, Heljan are to release a new run of Class 14s which will be a general release, not just with Hattons. At least 2 BR versions, a BP and an NCB versions and a preservation BR maroon version

in a rather peculiar shade of "light green"

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/class-14-bp-light-green-144-8-locomotive-d9524

https://www.hattons.co.uk/748150/heljan_1417_class_14_d9524_in_british_petroleum_light_green/stockdetail.aspx

• Like 1

On 25/09/2021 at 19:13, Max Legroom said:

I quite like the BP version but is that ‘green’ accurate? Reminds me of the Oxford BP Janus. Also, I think it had an engine change so I wonder if the bodywork was altered.

It reminds me of the Janus too. My 14 runs nicely, unlike the my Januses. The latter, I think were spoilt by Oxford messing around with the motor and flywheels. I think you needed to be very lucky to get a good one.

On 25/09/2021 at 16:12, Michael Hodgson said:

in a rather peculiar shade of "light green"

On 25/09/2021 at 19:13, Max Legroom said:

I quite like the BP version but is that ‘green’ accurate? Reminds me of the Oxford BP Janus. Also, I think it had an engine change so I wonder if the bodywork was altered.

Yes, that "light green" looks nothing like green.  That said, the prototype didn't look terribly green either, though any pictures I have seen of it show a far lighter shade than Heljan's artists impression, but perhaps it had faded badly.  It would be interesting to know Heljan's source for that shade.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/photo/scaled/23151/

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/09/2021 at 22:04, Railsnail said:

Has anyone got deep enough pockets to model this event I wonder? :swoon:

(With apologies if this has been posted before) 

Priceless... ;)

Needs repeating I say... :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1