Heljan Class 14s for Hattons

dcroz

Awesome - the power of RMWeb - between us we definitively nailed-it! (Ahem!)

Anyway, as we know from earlier in the thread, mine's gonna be a '68 ScR example, so that means all sorts of deviations from the livery norm :P

• RMweb Gold

Yep, it's an odd typeface, and that on the model does look too big. Not a problem if you're renumbering (except you wont know what to use, of course) :D

Interesting, I showed the Hattons photos to a mate at work today, and he thought the same. Then he showed me a photo of his scratchbuilt one, which was really rather good!

Yep, it's an odd typeface, and that on the model does look too big.

Compare

http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=24327 (second painted body image enlarged)

with

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.railblue.com/Pictures/In%2520Depth/D9500_1_BH_100704.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.railblue.com/pages/In%2520Depth/Class%252014%27s.htm&usg=__UkxCqBphbTIzedM9QV-nj_Qozs8=&h=240&w=320&sz=32&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=HWGZMdhWkF_NWM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3DD9500%2Blocomotive%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Similar viewing angle and it is very obvious that the number is too large and too 'bold' on the model.

Still - we may get a better rendition on the production models.

Failing that, I'll have to consider reducing the scale of my 5" gauge D95xx transfers to 4mm. scale!!

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

http://www.cctrans.freeserve.co.uk/

I think all this discussion about the typeface is a bit irrelevant - the Hatton's site could hardly make it clearer :(

"IMAGE FOR ROUGH GUIDANCE ONLY"

"(ACTUAL LIVERY AND COLOURS TO BE CONFIRMED)"

That doesn't apply to the body shell pictures only that 'cartooned' picture they put up months ago, I presume to avoid copyright on whatever picture they used to produce it or to really press home that is isn't the actual model!

It probably is worth checking with them if the bodyshell is being correct number wise as that probably was a printing sample..

The pictues of the sample reflect what WILL be produced by Heljan.

When I emailed Hattons about this they were adamant that their numbers were correct ..

Hattons said

"we are happy that it is the correct typeface and size for the locomotive; We believe that the pictures on the locomotive make it look very bold but this is due to the nature of the paint on the loco's... "

The Hattons reply was handled by Dave Mylett who is involved in the preservation/heritage business.

Must confess I am puzzled-the numbers look wrong.

pictures on the locomotive make it look very bold but this is due to the nature of the paint on the loco's... "

eh? some type of optical illusion?

and they are basing it on preserved images (or should that be imagination) There are enough photographs of the prototype around - why non get it right.

Clicking on that link - have a good look at the pic of D9505 at Swindon 16-08-64

Is that a Class 37 in chromatic blue with small yellow panel parked immediatelly to its right ??

Given that 37s weren't ever done in chromatic blue (only a few hydraulics were), no blue 37s were known to have small yellow panels, 37s werent overhauled at Swindon and nothing was blue in 8.64 apart from D1733, I doubt it. In fact I doubt it's even a 37 - it's something blue admittedly, but it's behind a sliver of reddish brown which is probably the corner plate of a High Goods wagon

The early D series numbers for the 14's should be about a third the height of the BR logo as here (two years into service), as indeed are these 'TOPS' style numbers on D9500

rather than about half the size of the logo as shown on the pre-production images and on this 'incorrect' preservation livery.

I'd concur with that Paul, it's another example of what I said recently about modelling a preserved loco being akin to modelling another model.

The Dursley shot is perfectly typical of an 'in service' D95xx number whereas the preserved one (like many preserved locos), isnt. Before anybody jibs at this comment, I have the greatest of respect for anybody involved with such restorations, but it is unfortunately a fact that some loco's livery details are not faithful replications of how they were in service

Hardly a show stopper though, given that we'll not all want to be running D9500 ;)

"Given that 37s weren't ever done in chromatic blue (only a few hydraulics were), no blue 37s were known to have small yellow panels, 37s werent overhauled at Swindon and nothing was blue in 8.64 apart from D1733, I doubt it. In fact I doubt it's even a 37 - it's something blue admittedly, but it's behind a sliver of reddish brown which is probably the corner plate of a High Goods wagon"

No - the other photo of D9505 at Swindon on 16-08-64.

It definately a 37 - it's definately not standard rail blue and it has a SYP.

S'not a Class 41 either, it's got Oleo buffers.

Anybody got any clue ?????

No - the other photo of D9505 at Swindon on 16-08-64.

Oh, my apologies, didnt see that one. Doh :rolleyes:

It definately a 37 - it's definately not standard rail blue.

Probably cos it's green :D I think you've been misled by the colour rendition of the film. Apart from it still being too early for blue, the bogie is too well grimed for a recent repaint

• RMweb Gold

Ah - the "Agfa curse" - that explains it :D

Not so much the 'Agfa curse' as a not unreasonably accurate rendering of how well weathered green would look from that angle when possibly slightly underexposed. There were an awaful lot of EE Type 3s which looked like that after a year or three in traffic - very dark colour with a bit of a cast to it.

I have to be in agreement with the others that the class 37 is in green livery, interesting how the picture shows three different green locos and all look to be different colours http://www.flickr.co...57614915738447/ also that the connecting rods are in unpainted steel which was Swindon's way of doing them, along with the class 03's they built, which were never painted red or yellow.

Chromatic blue, now thats another subject that could roll on for everwink.gif

Some nice shots around the Gloucestershire branches their Robert, also the one of D9508 on Ebbw Jnc http://www.flickr.co...57614915738447/ if i was ever to build a depot layout that would be the one for me, just crying out to be done by someonecool.gif

• RMweb Premium

Readers with a NE (Hull area) based layout may be interested to know that the D95xxs seem to have frequently run in pairs. I've notes in May and August 1967 which show I saw D9539/41 (on tankers passingBotanic Gardens), D9543/44 at Hessle Quarry, D9512/16 (still with 87E shed plate) at King George Dock, D9543/49 at Alexandra Dock and D9533/3x and D9541/D95xx at Hessle yard. Also seen at Brough was D9547 on its own on a freight. In October another visit found D9505 shunting on its own at Brough and D9541/53 at Hessle yard. Finally I saw D9531 in York North yards on 31.12.68 out of use.

It would appear that they took over many of the duties of the WD 2-8-0s from Dairycoates shed. presumably the use of two locomotives was necessary for braking purposes on the steep gradients of some of the dock lines.

• Like 1

Readers with a NE (Hull area) based layout may be interested to know that the D95xxs seem to have frequently run in pairs. ...

It would appear that they took over many of the duties of the WD 2-8-0s from Dairycoates shed. presumably the use of two locomotives was necessary for braking purposes on the steep gradients of some of the dock lines.

Pretty much the size of it Steve. I saw these locos regularly from when I started spotting in very early '68 until their withdrawal a few months later, and have obviously absorbed any info on their local use since (not that there's much). A pair was seen as theoretically equivalent to a WD, and one of their main duties was the Hessle Quarry - Wilmington chalk trains for Earles Cement. The only one I personally recall seeing solo was on the Paragon rubbish train, but there's a pic by the Rev Benson of one working the Brid goods in the second Irwell volume on Hull's railways (and a good few pics of them paired)

I dont think gradients were a particular problem (Hull's pretty flat :D ) but braking would be an issue, given that a pair would likely be handling a heavy block train with more momentum than their designed use on trip workings. Not being MU fitted, they needed a crew each and that was inevitably another factor against them. The chalk trains, for their last few months, went over to 37s and Dairycoates' 20s would also no doubt have covered some of their jobs

Thanks for the thread-bounce chaps, it's taken my mind off the dodgy numerals.

Thanks to the thread bounce I now have no alternative but to plan a secondary layout project. Based on the Forest of Dean - I mean how incredible are those pics Robert's posted!!!!!! - it's the 'modern' traction equivalent of Lord of The Rings, absolutely magical. I'm speechless. Good job I can still type then, hey!

Glad I got my crafty pre-order in! With a 14, 22 and handful of 16Ts you can immerse yourself in that lot. Think Pixie had a point t'other week when he mentioned the Parkend project. But for me it would be some fantastical winding single-track scene with tunnels and ungated crossings, with a remote esoteric siding. Oh that's just too awesome. Thanks for the earlier link.

• Like 1

Hi Chard,

You may well of already seen it, but if you hav'nt get yourself a copy of "The South Wales Archive" from B & R Video Vol 120, it has a bout 15 minutes of footage from the Jim Clemens collection, following a class 14 around the Forest including such places as Coleford, Whitecliff, Bullo Pill and Cinderford.

Pure blissrolleyes.gif

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chard,

You may well of already seen it, but if you hav'nt get yourself a copy of "The South Wales Archive" from B & R Video Vol 120, it has a bout 15 minutes of footage from the Jim Clemens collection, following a class 14 around the Forest including such places as Coleford, Whitecliff, Bullo Pill and Cinderford.

Pure blissrolleyes.gif

Ooh, thanks for that, I'm on the lookout for a bit of archive footage showing the FoD in that era! :icon_cool:

They had left the area before I arrived but the Trethomas trip would have been work to which they would be suited although I suspect they would not have been favoured for Machen ballast trains.

Thanks SM and Craig - I think it had slipped my mind how little traffic was on the B&M by the time the 14s were introduced. I briefly (and erroneously) imagined them working from Bassaleg.