Thinning Railmatch Acrylic

Thinning Railmatch Acrylic

I have just received my first Railmatch Acrylic Paint, how and to what ratio do you thin it also what air pressure are you using to spray it.

I live in the US and am used to Polyscale etc .

David

I find Tamiya acrylic thinners work well enough with Railmatch acrylics thinned to the consistency of milk (about 2/3 rds paint to 1/3 rds thinner) sprayed at around 25 psi.

• Thanks 1

Hi David,

I use the Railmatch acrylics thinned down with the Railmatch acrylic thinners and have been very pleased with the results. The mix that Andy mentioned works very well. I also use 10% Paint to 90% Thinners for washes and also 20%P to 80%T and both work really well.

Nick, I haven’t tried using water to thin it down, but personally I would stick to using the Railmatch thinners but it is up to you.

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, I am a Pro model painter in the USA and I am running out of Phoenix Paint enamels so I have to use Railmatch Acrylics for British Models. I thank you for all your suggestions but the problem we have in the USA at the moment on the import side has changed Tamiyas Acrylic Thinners no longer available I think for the same reason as Railmatch Thinners not allowed to be imported, I have tried various suggestions from the internet and various of my own concoctions to use as Thinners but with no success I simply cannot get a smooth finish.

David

A Brit in the USA

When you open railmatch paint new what consistancy should the paint be, I have just opened the 3rd container and its like a different paint, the first two where like a thick enamel the third the consistancy of milk ???.

David

A Brit in the USA

If it is available in the USA it may be worth trying Lifecolour Acrylics as an alternative to Railmatch. They can be sprayed when thinned with distilled water and there are a number of railway colours available. You might also try something like Iwata Media Airbrush Cleaner if you are able to get hold of it. My wife has used it to thin artists acrylics for spraying with some sucess so it may work.

HTH

Chris M

Hi David,

I use the Railmatch acrylics thinned down with the Railmatch acrylic thinners and have been very pleased with the results. The mix that Andy mentioned works very well. I also use 10% Paint to 90% Thinners for washes and also 20%P to 80%T and both work really well.

Nick, I haven’t tried using water to thin it down, but personally I would stick to using the Railmatch thinners but it is up to you.

Would any type of thinners do for thinning the Railmatch paint?

NL

Would any type of thinners do for thinning the Railmatch paint?

NL

In a word; no. Paint and thinners should ideally be matched from the same range to minimise the risk of unwanted paint effects. The OP was asking the question because he's over the pond and wanted to pick out people's experience in using an alternative product. I'd recommended Tamiya as it's known to work but I hadn't realised it was hard to source over there.

Well I contacted Howes and they confirmed they cannot ship the Thinniers ,I will keep on experimenting. I checked into Lifecolour Acrylics they are sold over here and I am making a few enquiries.

Thanks for all the help

David

A Brit in the USA

Ok i have finally found the solution to the problem for anyone living in N America who cannot get thinners from the UK for Railmatch Acrylic paints here is the answer,

PACTRA RC5900 Thinners 75% paint 25% thinners works perfect.

David Cooke Snr

A Brit in the USA

• Like 1

Paint and thinners should ideally be matched from the same range to minimise the risk of unwanted paint effects.

I think acrylics tend to be tempremental when it comes to thinning - enamels, especially Humbrol, seem to be fine regardless of what's used to thin them - own brand enamel thinners, badgers, generic enamel thinners, white spirit, etc...

• 4 years later...

When you open railmatch paint new what consistancy should the paint be, I have just opened the 3rd container and its like a different paint, the first two where like a thick enamel the third the consistancy of milk ???.

David

A Brit in the USA

David

I have been importing Railmatch Acrylics via 2ktechnologies on eBay and that has included the thinners, varnish, everything. HTH

I have also used Testors acrylic thinner successfully with Railmatch paint and got a very good finish (check out my blog where there are Railmatch painted wagons where I have used Tstors Thinners)

Best of luck!

Marcus

• 4 years later...
  • 8 months later...

I have brush-painted Railmatch acrylic  straight out of the jar on top of auto shop etch primer and found the results disappointing. The paint appears to dry almost instantly rather than self-levelling, and I get a rather lumpy finish that readily flakes off despite 3 coats.  I'm wondering if I should be using thinner and/or retardant. Any suggestions please?

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

I have brush-painted Railmatch acrylic  straight out of the jar on top of auto shop etch primer and found the results disappointing. The paint appears to dry almost instantly rather than self-levelling, and I get a rather lumpy finish that readily flakes off despite 3 coats.  I'm wondering if I should be using thinner and/or retardant. Any suggestions please?

I've posted this elsewhere;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylic_retarder

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 2