Caledonian Conundrum

Caledonian

As mentioned on the introductions thread I??™ve been modelling for the past three years or so and am about to undertake heroic surgery on the current 8x4 tail-chaser in the loft; initially to rebuild it as an end to end, but eventually :lol: to extend it into a loop running right around the usable part of the loft.

I want to make a proper job of this one by modelling a prototypical location, albeit with the customary selective compression, or at least producing something that will recognisably belong to a particular line.

As to that location; the preferred one is Culter, just to the west of Aberdeen on the former Ballater branch. I used to know it well and have a useful collection of photos, it has an interesting layout with good operating potential, but yet can be easily modelled.

On the other hand; leaving aside my specials like an A3-hauled Aberdonian, my locos are more suited to the Highland lines; a trio of Black Fives, a Fairburn and the last Inverness Jinty. The odd Black Five did get down the Ballater branch (and back up again), but it wasn??™t a regular performer so they??™re not really appropriate for Culter.

Blair Atholl is therefore the other choice with all of them appearing there and the Fairburn actually shedded there too; so the question is do I model my preferred location and run the wrong stock on it, or do I model a different location better suited to my stock?

I suspect this is something which has exercised most of us in the past and I??™ve pretty well made my mind up??¦

• RMweb Gold

I think your dilemma is at the nub of the whole model railway culture. RMWeb has a large number of beautifully-built, excellently-scenicked layouts, rightly lauded for their detail and ambience, yet which, in operating terms, can be little more than dioramas, on which the owner will typically display equally outstanding locos and stock as "passing trains". Now there is nothing "wrong" with that approach - or indeed any other take on model railways, including armchair modelling! - but one feels that the construction phase is the owner's satisfaction,and that, job done, probably he or she will quite quickly decide to start another, even better, layout. On the other hand, if actually running trains and apeing prototype operations is your bag, you need a layout with the potential to do so.

I would go for the interesting track layout every time, waving your modeller's licence at every anorak who proclaims that this or that loco never could have run there!

To throw confusion to the matter: the GNSRA have a pic somewhere on the Ballater branch of an LMS 2P hauling a rake of Greleys :blink: . I assume when you talk of suitable stock for Ballater, you mean LNER and earlier? If thats the case, something similar to Boat of Garten could be done because of the LMS/ LNER ownership.

Guest stuartp

Personally, I've opted for the location that 'does it' for me, and although most of my stock is prototypical for Newton Stewart (Black 5, Black 5, two Black 5s, Crab, Black 5, Black 5, Jubillee, Black 5...), I also seem to have managed to acquire a Duchess, a 40 complete with Met-Camm 'Queen of Scots' set, and an A4 plus Commonwealth-bogied '3 Hour' set (and a Pacer). All these will be making guest appearances from time to time, I believe David Jenkinson did something similar with his 'funny trains'.

It must be easier to change stock than spend time and effort modelling a location which you're ultimately not satisfied with and then decide it has to be changed later. You could always trade a couple of the Black 5s in for Std 4 tanks !

...prototypical for Newton Stewart (Black 5, Black 5, two Black 5s, Crab, Black 5, Black 5, Jubillee, Black 5...)

:lol:

Stuart makes a good point. The end result has to satisfy you to be worth persevering with. It'd be much easier, if time consuming and with potential for financial loss, to adjust your stockbox to suit your preferred location.

If however those are the models you want to run, and that's the more important aspect to you, then consider doing some research into alternative locations.

It's a personal thing and entirely depends on how you weight the two aspects.

Guest stuartp

Sounds like somebody's after some more Black 5s laugh.gif

biggrin.gif That didn't actually occur to me until some time after I'd posted ! Sadly my Toy Fund won't even run to traded-in second hand Black Fives at the moment even if Caledonian was interested in off-loading them. sad.gif

Thanks for your thoughts lads, as I said in the OP I've pretty well made my mind up and am probably going for the Blair Atholl option. Basically my models break down into a core collection and a couple of secondary collections, eg; some North American stuff, and a variety of PO wagons and puffers for shunting on a plank, just by way of variety. I'm not really one for this run what you like osik and prefer a bit of "integrity" with the right stock in the right place. (OK there's a precedent for everything, but there's a big difference between justifying the odd "foreigner" passing through and running a whole collection of them) In this case as I've a pretty homogenous stable of Northern division locos I'm going to opt for an appropriate setting for them, rather than exchanging them just to fit a different location - even if it means not building my first choice station/line.

For what it is worth, I have decided upon a mainline (seen in the distance) in which those trains pass in the landscape on an upper level and a more locally detailed, even though much compressed branch loop and line where much more local things are evident. I want to be able to run 'proper passenger trains with ex LNER Pacifics and reasonably long goods along with the detail of local operations). I am thinking of (as a background) the ECML beyond Edinburgh and as a local a, somewhat compressed, branchline between St Andrews and Helmsdale! (so I can run some relatively easily modified rtr stock). I expect to start my baseboards next weekend and look forward to your criticism (I don't want you to hold back)

Stockie

For what it is worth, I have decided upon a mainline (seen in the distance) in which those trains pass in the landscape on an upper level and a more locally detailed, even though much compressed branch loop and line where much more local things are evident. I want to be able to run 'proper passenger trains with ex LNER Pacifics and reasonably long goods along with the detail of local operations). I am thinking of (as a background) the ECML beyond Edinburgh and as a local a, somewhat compressed, branchline between St Andrews and Helmsdale! (so I can run some relatively easily modified rtr stock). I expect to start my baseboards next weekend and look forward to your criticism (I don't want you to hold back)

Stockie

Laying aside the "it's my railway. I'll run what I want" theories for a minute Stockie, I thought you were doing fine till the compressed St.Andrews-Helmsdale part 240ish miles (ignoring the Grampians) and three main lines apart is one hell of a branch line! when I'd have thought North of Kinnaber Junction and South of Aberdeen would've given more than everything (prototypically) ex-LMSR, LNER, BR, long passenger & freight trains running on the same lines you could shake a big stick at! But then I again, I would say that :rolleyes:

We all need to do a bit of selective compression, but as Bob says squeezing St. Andrews to Helmsdale into a short branch line is a touch extreme :lol:

Seriously, the southern approaches to Aberdeen would give you what you want. Again as Bob points out from Kinnaber Junction north the line was actually Caledonian/LMS with the North British/LNER relying on running powers to get to Aberdeen so you have passengers, parcels, postals and fast freights from both railways using the same track. Just before you cross the Dee there's Craiginches Yard where you can do some shunting, or you can cross the river and you've got Ferryhill Junction - a Wye with the Aberdeen Road coming swinging in from the south and the Ballater Branch from the west with the shed in between; then there's four roads carried on a low viaduct all the way up to the Joint Station, splitting off to the Guild Street goods yard just at the south end of the station. Hours of innocent amusement if you've got the space.

Guest Max Stafford

As long as you're bracing it beneath, 9mm ply should be well up to the job. Make sure you use the external type though.

Dave.

Archived