LBSCR 1910

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

You've had a couple of really sound responses to date - and we each need to identify what the Challenge means to us. Is it about "winning", getting a commendation or whatever, or is it about getting into gear and making something for a deadline, with an option on further expandability thereafter. A convertible station goes a long way towards covering both bases, perhaps. Be in no doubt, if operating the layout once it's complete is your aim, then a through station, and especially a roundy-round, can be very useful for just letting trains run. A terminus needs continuous attention, and lapping-in locos and stock can take an age if they are at all sticky. While potentially more authentic in the moves it demands, it may lack "play value".

Mayfield is a good prototype, although a lot of kit-building might be needed to get a representative stud and rolling stock fleet. Vivien Thompson's Peco book from years ago can help with LBSC building styles, as she did Rotherfield, another of the T.H.Myres designs. Your concerns re LBSC lining-out are sound. I think some years ago I saw a layout called Emily Street Yard, where the chap had had LBSC Stroudley lining - I think - made for his stud of D- and E-tanks. Stunningly effective. Southern liveries are a lot simpler, and it is Hornby's excellent-looking new products that have lured me back to UK modelling after 25 years.

How about something along similar lines to what I am thinking. build a terminus station for the competition, but design the trackplan so that by removing the buffer stop/ station building shown in your first plan you can incorporate it into a continuous run after the competition?

You could actually look for a prototype that was built with the intention of further extension, but which never/only later happened.

I realise that it is in a different part of the country to your interests, but one that I know of is Chipping Ongar on the Great Eastern Railway. It was built with a view to running on further through the station as business/London commuter housing was extended into the country, but remained a terminus until closure. However the track layout reflected the future intent.

It wasn't as sprawling as many country terminii, and this may have been the reason why. There are plenty of photos and plans in a couple of Wild Swan books. I've been half-tempted at modelling it myself due to the relative compactness, and it's general "modelability".

I'm sure that there are examples of a few other "temporary terminii" around the country as well.

HTH

Flymo

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I notice you have mentioned the Uckfield MRC 'Melling' layout, this is close to the start of track laying (the baseboards have been constructed) and the P4 group think that it should be ready for exhibiting within 3 years.

The book "The Cuckoo Line" is an excellent source of information about track plans and buildings/stock, especially for the period you are looking at.

Kev

• RMweb Gold

Hi kev,

Thanks for the post. At the moment the idea is still a bit up in the air. I am going away over Christmas and plan to have a very long think about it and then post again when I am back.

Kind regards,

Nick

• 1 year later...

Hi Nick,

I've only just signed up to RM web, so please excuse the late response to your thread.

I am planning (wait to see if it gets past that stage!) a layout based on Singleton - you can see my (planning) efforts to date on the TEMPLOT forum at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=1010&forum_id=12

Like previous contributors to this thread, I have a number of suitable LBSCR kits from Albion, DJH, Roxey, Blacksmith and ACE waiting to be built...

I have a good selection of the published books, including the recent edition of The Southern Way (issue 16), but if anyone knows of any more photos of Singleton that haven't been published - particularly the turntable and platform buildings I would be very pleased to hear from you.

best wishes

Richard

Archived