Derby Model Railway Exhibition 2011

Diesel Dayz

• RMweb Premium

Looking forward to the show Mike, and for once I have money to spend too! Would love to spend it on a sound chip, but not sure I'll find one of those at the show. I'm sure I'll end up spending it anyway.

Well done to you all for organising this great show.

regards

Dave

Not sure what sound chip you are after but Charlie on DC kits usually has a selection of diesel sound chips on his stand. Give him a try. (but don't get him talking :lol: )

• RMweb Premium

GOOD NEWS.

The tea making urn past its PA test tonight so at least we can make a 'Brew' at the weekend

That is good news - although Alan wasn't too happy when you failed his extension lead and there was the other one that came back damaged after being out on loan. Just shows how important this role is - it's not just done to upset people :D . I still remember the time you sent Steven to see the guy who had 3 separate items that all failed - he was on the point of packing up his layout again and walking out of the show :O but with a layout as dangerous as that would we want him to stay

Mike

• RMweb Premium

:yahoo: :yahoo: I think we should have passed this one to the "Death of English" thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(goes to find tin 'at)

In defence it was late :P .

• RMweb Premium

Road signs are now up - let's just hope they are all still there when I go and collect them - last year 5 had been removed :angry:

In addition to our own yellow signs, there are also numerous brown signs for Moorways Sports Centre

Post Code is DE24 9HY

A map can by found on our web site here http://www.mmrg.org.uk/how_to_find_us.htm

For anyone approaching from M1 using the A50/A6 or A52 watch out for the new roundabout on the outer ring road on Raynsway - guess who got in the wrong lane tonight and finished up travelling in the wrong direction :lol: You need to follow directions for Alvaston and Allenton.

Mike

Rather surprised that with only a few days to go, and 30 layouts in the list above, that no one apart from Grahame has made any comments about the selection - are none of the layout operators members of RMweb? As usual we have tried to gather together a cross section of scale, gauge, era and location - which covers 2mmFS, N, OO, 4mmNG, O, USA N, USA HO, Continental HO, HOmNG and OeNG - at least 10 variations - even more if any of the 4mm turn out to be EM or P4

Perhaps it meets with everyones approval; after all usually the comments are "why isn't such and such there" or "you've got no xyz type/scale/gauge/period layouts".

Anyway, I'm just about to have a bath and get ready for the trek north. Do I need winter woolies - whats the weather like up there? And I must find my passport or I might not be able to get back to civilisation.....

G.

• RMweb Gold

Shame its not in town

I disagree, it's location now means that I will attend, no way would I have struggled to get into Derby, find a car park, apply for the second mortgage to pay for the parking then the venue was not the best when you got there.

Appreciate that those using public transport would prefer a city centre location, but hey, the venue's better now anyway - traders round the outside, layouts in the middle - simples!

I'm probably showing up tomorrow afternoon now, I've been advised that a trip to my parents on Sunday is in order ........

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, I'm just about to have a bath and get ready for the trek north. Do I need winter woolies - whats the weather like up there? And I must find my passport or I might not be able to get back to civilisation.....

G.

No, its sunny oop north today. Make sure you go through the 'sheep dip' before you enter over the county boundary. :D

• RMweb Premium

Pleased that you are making a special effort just for us - I take it that you don't normally have a bath before a show :lol: I assume that you will carry your winter woolies along with your anorak and flask in a big rucksac which you have no control over as you barge past everyone in your effort to get to the front :lol: Passports are required for certain parts of Derby but as we are just off the ring road you won't need to pass through the border checkpoints. Weather is a mix of sunshine and overcast at the moment with a cool breeze - forecast of possible occasional showers over the weekend but please don't let that put you off - I assure you the sports centre has a roof :lol:

Mike (still stuck at work for the day while the rest of the team get things ready) :angry:

Edit - just seen that Steve has also replied - you can see that we are both keen for you to attend.

• RMweb Premium

Not happy - still at work :angry:

For the past 20 years or more, I have always had the Friday off to help the team set up but for reasons I won't bore you with here, that just isn't possible this year. Also got an extra early start back here on Monday which is usually another day off when I recover from the weekend and sort out all the finances and admin - looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil instead. Perhaps a beer or two will help dull the pain :drinks:

Mike

Not happy - still at work :angry:

For the past 20 years or more, I have always had the Friday off to help the team set up but for reasons I won't bore you with here, that just isn't possible this year. Also got an extra early start back here on Monday which is usually another day off when I recover from the weekend and sort out all the finances and admin - looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil instead. Perhaps a beer or two will help dull the pain :drinks:

Mike

I remember work......... vaguely :laugh:

It ran my life completely, but then I discovered the Old Bob philosophy - for the first stage of your life, you try hard to please everybody - or should that be 'everyone' ?

For the second stage, however, you aim to annoy as many people as possible.......

Remember, Mike, growing old is compulsary...growing up is optional :drinks: A beer or two shall be yours on Sunday :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Ok a Sneak Preview. nipped around near the end of setting up tonight and managed a few shots to wet your appetite.

New Mills '00'

post-7289-0-19463300-1305331383_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-11217700-1305331399_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-74096000-1305331410_thumb.jpg

Duke Street '00'

post-7289-0-50575700-1305331451_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-58491800-1305331463_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-69490800-1305331476_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-37278500-1305331492_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-19012800-1305331508_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-75709600-1305331522_thumb.jpg

Leavesden '0' gauge

post-7289-0-02902100-1305331626_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-15613100-1305331676_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-98145400-1305331640_thumb.jpg

post-7289-0-46067400-1305331690_thumb.jpg

Oswaldsmuehle 7mm Narrow Gauge (I think)

post-7289-0-07402900-1305331791_thumb.jpg

Leeds Wellington Road '00'

post-7289-0-91684700-1305331850_thumb.jpg

Looks like Del & Rodney are in trouble again

post-7289-0-33114500-1305331862_thumb.jpg

Hopefully get some more over the weekend........................... may be even one of Redgates 'Standard that never was'

• RMweb Premium

I remember work......... vaguely :laugh:

It ran my life completely, but then I discovered the Old Bob philosophy - for the first stage of your life, you try hard to please everybody - or should that be 'everyone' ?

For the second stage, however, you aim to annoy as many people as possible.......

Remember, Mike, growing old is compulsary...growing up is optional :drinks: A beer or two shall be yours on Sunday :rolleyes:

Cheers Bob - you always were a bit vague when I first met you and 39 years later you still are :lol: Enjoy your retirement :yahoo:

Great set of pictures from Steve and as you would expect, I'll comment on the narrow gauge as it's almost 7mmNG - Continental 'Magic Train' is 1:45 (Oe) rather than 1:43 ;)

See you all later

Mike

I went this afternoon after work, I think it was a good show, some decent layouts but I'm afraid the row completely spoiled it for me.

Do traders have to compete with each other for the loudest video?

I was rather taken with the O gauge NSE layout, apparently most of the locos are fitted with sound chips, but it was almost impossible to hear them unless you leaned in close. Even then they were drowned by the competing videos.

I'm not a silent world type, as I am typing this I'm listening to AC/DC on Planet Rock, and I often get told off for turning class 37 videos right up! But to have a steam video from one direction, a diesel from the other, then try to pick out the sound from locos in front of you, it was just a din.

The same thing used to happen in the Assembly rooms but that was carpeted and split up into areas so that the noise didn't reverberate round the hall, not so now.

I didn't go to Derby for a few years because of the row where one trader had FIVE videos all going at full chat showing different programmes!

I also rather liked the N gauge (or is it 2mm) Melton Mowbray layout. A nice view of the railway within it's surroundings, but also showing how much space was actually used by even a modest route.

Didn't spend anything apart from a couple of cups of tea, although to be fair I wasn't really looking for anything either.

I presume the burger van in the car park is Derby City Council's idea of food catering, since the cutbacks made it unviable to keep the catering on the premises? Rather a shame but possible shades of the future?

Edit: Just looked again at the 'preview pictures' above and remebered New Mills, looked rather nice, but too noisy to hang around.

Hi all,

Went today for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed the show and thought it excellent value for money - easy to find and free onsite parking. Agree there were lots of videos playing which was perhaps a little distracting at times (although the video of a Scandinavian steam loco clearing a snowdrift with a powered rotary snow plough was brilliant!)

Highlights of the show for me - New Mills 4mm because of its sheer scale - Leavesden 7mm great range of locos & EMUS - Loch Tat 2mm very evocative of Scottish scenery - but thoroughly enjoyed all the layouts - definitely worth a fiver.

Thanks to all involved in planning beforehand and also the team who were helping during the show.

Best wishes,

David

• RMweb Premium

Do traders have to compete with each other for the loudest video?

I presume the burger van in the car park is Derby City Council's idea of food catering, since the cutbacks made it unviable to keep the catering on the premises? Rather a shame but possible shades of the future?

Many thanks for your comments - both positive and negative - if we don't know what people think then we can't do anything about it.

Sorry that you felt the videos were too loud. As part of the organising team, I was in and out of the main hall all day and I didn't notice this unless I was actually right next to their stands, but I must admit that I didn't spend much time in one place concentrating on the layouts. I have taken a copy of your comments and will pass these on to the exhibition manager.

Visitors catering is outside of our control although we are well aware that this - I assume they charged the van to be there which is guaranteed income, but if they did anything in house then there would be staff costs to take into account and they may not make a great deal of profit. We are hoping to make arrangements next year to sell filled rolls in their bar area but I assume that Food Hygiene regulations will apply plus an increase in our Public Liability Insurance which may prevent us from taking this option.

David - glad that you enjoyed your visit - and that it was good value. This is the 3rd year at Moorways and we have kept at £5 which is still less than we charged at the Assembly Rooms as costs there continued to increase forcing us to move.

Mike

Guest baldrick25

Excellent show , and well organised. Great to see that tickets were sold to the 'queue-ers' , 10 minutes before the show opened, so it was just a quick walk-in and ticket inspection. An idea that should be adopted by a lot more shows.

I also noticed the loud video noise, and felt it more of an irritation than anything, especially if you happened to be around the stands on the back wall , or the large layouts. Image destroying whilst looking at steam and protype diesels on New Mills , whilst being ear-blasted with a large American snow clearing train. I did what others do, ignore it, don't look at the stand, so they didn't get any of cash or 'advertising' potential.

Thoroughly enjoyable day thanks to the many traders , and my collection was increased with a pair of new-looking boxed, Wrenn Lowmacs, A Bachmann pullman coach, a couple of Wirksworth wagons, a couple of Lima 'dining cars' (no. 270) for re-work, and a lot of 'bits and pieces' for future modelling. A load of helpful information was also acquired from those stands I stopped to chat to, and a memory card full of images and videos.

Layouts that I felt deserved a mention was New Mills , both for its size, but more importantly its continuous action, including the prototypical use of a sand-trap, when the operator attention was elsewhere. Even the colour light signals were working, something I personally find irritating on other layouts when trains continually spad- or every signal is always on green.

Leavesden was also noteworthy, if only for the sheer quantity of loco's and stock available to run. Ilkeston Town , for me , was of interest, well modelled, well operated, and full of attention to the prototypical small detail.

A thanks to the the rest of the layouts and operators though, they were all great and well worth the visit.

Ramrig has placed some excellent images above, so I'll not add any, but if anyone wants anything in particular, there's 600+ detail shots on the hard drive now.

I went yesterday, about 11:30, the car park was busy but there was no problem parking. There were 3 ticket desk in operation so there was no queue which was good. I do think the show is good value at £5 entry.

There was a good mix of people there, with plenty of young children taking an interest.

Loch Tat was very popular, I had to keep coming back to it before I managed to get a good spot to watch. I think they managed to really convey the remote location with trains running through the landscape rather than dominating it.

Poole in Wharfdale had some really good modelling and very interesting historical information displayed on the stand too. Good use of the Faller car system, with the buses proceeding at scale speed rather than the usual 100mph.

Oulton TMD was superb, I spent a long time watching as there were lots of interesting moves going on, although they did have a number of shorts, so you get the usual halt then all the sound locos play their startup sequence again. Putting that aside, I thought it was really well operated.

Leeds Wellington Road was good too. A large station within a small space, but it worked. The operators were working as a good team to keep things moving and providing lots of interest.

The only down side was the noise of the videos from the Steam Powered Video stand. Far to loud, really spoiled the enjoyment of the Leavesden layout. I have no idea how those operators managed to put up with it all day. Having said that, the video they were showing of the snow clearing was rather good!

Anyway, well done everyone involved for making a very enjoyable exhibition.

Archived