Dominion of Canada - Returns to the UK

S.A.C Martin

Just been forwarded the photographs below of Dominion of Canada. I saw this engine about five years ago, and she was in a much better state. The front end has had severe damage, possibly from a rough shunt, recently, if the dates of these photographs are correct:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

The damage to the front end is palpable.

Just like shops obviously aren't bothered about shoplifters if they put products on shelves?

I did think it was looking a little 'lived in' in recent video footage however I actually think it looks more authentic (maybe apart from the rhinoplasty).

Just like shops obviously aren't bothered about shoplifters if they put products on shelves?

No, more that Photobucket, despite being a happy user of it, never strikes me as a particuklarly secure place to store photos if you only have a free account.

it shouldn't be over there in the first place. Same goes for Dwight D Eisenhower, all because it is named after an american doesn't mean it typically has the right to stay in the USA..... they should bring both of them back, and that terrier in the last pic too (although we seem to have enough of them now, lol), after all, we designed them, we built them and we used them, they are a part of british history more than theirs.

rant over :P (not supposed to be a rant but it reads like one!:blink:)

She doesn't look too great, almost akin to New England 1961** than a supposed museum in 2011, although the Terrier looks half decent.

Now if all goes to plan and my 6 numbers come up on Saturday, after purchasing Blue Peter and sending her to Mr Riley for a rebirth, the next project would be a DoC rescue mission.....

**Alright, maybe she's not that filthy...

• RMweb Gold

The problem with bringing the exiled A4s back would be the lack of work available for them. But thats academic as both museums won't sell at the moment, but I'm certain that if someone offered enough cash they'd realise that British locos don't belong in an American/Canadian railway museum.

Who knows what the future will bring, how many seriously thought that Dunrobin would be coming home, or that in the 21st century a express loco could be built from new?

Damn Canucks! Why let them ruin a perfectly good loco when it could sit in a yard over here for years?

Sorry, just couldn't resist......now, give the Elgin Marbles back to Greece.

Best, Pete.

Edited for typo...........................................................one mistake, now have Canadian/Canadien hitman on my trail.........................

Damn Chanucks! Why let them ruin a perfectly good loco when it could sit in a yard over here for years?

Best, Pete.

Chanucks - who they? Actually, Pete, "Would you give the Elgin Marbles back to Greece?" was exactly my thought when I read one of the posts above.

Chanucks - who they?

Your favourite hockey team perhaps? (Assuming you do live in Port Moody!)

You should know by now that most of us people who live in the US can't spell properly, even the immigrants, eh. We lost most of the 'u's and sometimes we can't even get things like "Canucks" right.

Damn Chanucks! Why let them ruin a perfectly good loco when it could sit in a yard over here for years?

Best, Pete.

Err, that's Canucks if you don't mind B) It looks as if D of C had an argument with a knuckle coupler. Pity that as the Canadian Railway Historical Association had just featured the engine in their publication last year as they plan on giving her a fresh paint but need some money to do the job. Waddon, as you saw in the third pic is in better shape having been re-done recently. I think it safe to say there are red faces all around and they will try to get the damage sorted.

Cheers,

David

it shouldn't be over there in the first place. Same goes for Dwight D Eisenhower, all because it is named after an american doesn't mean it typically has the right to stay in the USA..... they should bring both of them back, and that terrier in the last pic too (although we seem to have enough of them now, lol), after all, we designed them, we built them and we used them, they are a part of british history more than theirs.

Hmm, the locomotive belongs to whoever paid for it.

How about returning K1 to those who bought it in the first place and used it for all those years? Just because it was built in the UK does not mean you have eternal rights to it.

Trisonic, where you the original Beatles drummer before Ringo?

No, I have spoken with Pete Best (many years ago) he called me out of the blue when someone was trying to release the "Hamburg Tapes" - nice guy, could well be a railway modeller.......

Best, Pete.

60010 has had that dent in the front since at least September 2007 when I visited Exporail museum whilst on my honeymoon.

I was told that it occurred whilst shunting the loco outside to wash it down , as it normally lives outside in a tent structure (a bit like one at the NRM). It is somewhat ironic that a loco that the NRM would undoubtedly put inside the main building and cherish is treated in the same way as the NRM treats its diesel collection , whilst at Exporail the main museum contains mainly diesels....

Back on topic , does 60010 still have it's original 1960s BR paint? It certainly looked that way on my visit , in which case should it not be conserved rather than re-painted?

60010 has had that dent in the front since at least September 2007 when I visited Exporail museum whilst on my honeymoon.

I visited in 2006 and it didn't have the dent - makes sense.

Back on topic , does 60010 still have it's original 1960s BR paint? It certainly looked that way on my visit , in which case should it not be conserved rather than re-painted?

I think it's the same Derby repaint as Dwight D. Eisenhower had, for display purposes.

No, more that Photobucket, despite being a happy user of it, never strikes me as a particuklarly secure place to store photos if you only have a free account.

That doesn't have any bearing on the fact that Simon has acted totally within forum rules and by doing so has not carried out any breach of law. You can't do as you please just because someone has published something on the 'net. I saw a case some time ago where a website owner wholly re-published a professional photographer's images to lend credence to his start-up business without any consent.

Have a word with your employers and ask them if they will make access available to the location of the images. Or is that against their rules?

You mean like half of the items in museums across the U.K. that we've acquired from 'Johnny Foreigner' over the years, and sometimes in questionable circumstances (e.g. the 'Elgin marbles' or the contents of numerous Egyptian tombs ?).

Bring 'em back . . . . . . why, to join the large number of rotting hulks and decaying relics that already lie unloved in and around many UK preservation sites ?

It's not as if we're short of Brighton Terriers in the land of their birth, and we have a few 'streaks' as well.

You may wish to breath through a brown paper bag and combat your hyper-ventilating !

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Nevertheless, if someone nicks a copy of an image for their private consumption, no-one really knows, but posting on here would put RMWeb in the wrong, and SACM is quite right to observe that essential fact.

Just to say chaps, to clarify my viewpoint, I do think it's time we gave back such treasures and artifacts belonging to other countries, in the spirit of mutually agreed historical importance. I don't know enough about the Elgin Marbles to make an informed opinion, so I'll do some reading later today and make my own mind up.

The A4s were presented to their museums by British Railways, weren't they? As opposed to an actual sale going through. I do think museums have a responsibility to keep their exhibits in good order (including our own in this country), and to some extent it saddens me to see the condition of DoC when compared to that of DDE. The "rough shunt" or whatever caused the damage should have been fixed after five years, surely?

Waddon, the terrier which can be seen in the pictures as well, is looking terrific and the owning group have done well with her. But DoC's condition is a cause for concern by comparison.

In an ideal world, I'd have the money to bring her back, reinstate the single chimney, valances, garter blue "coronation livery", and the bell, with a small maple leaf plaque on each side thanking the people of Canada for saving her in the first place, but...!

I do think given its status, it should be better looked after, and to be fair, the photographs do nothing for the owning group's reputation.

Archived