Dominion of Canada - Returns to the UK

S.A.C Martin

DDE may have appeared in better cosmetic condition but DoC was better under the skin as you will see from earlier posts.

David as you will see from earlier posts, I've followed the whole process quite closely. (I've also followed the restoration process via the NRM/Locomotion feeds on Facebook where there have been hundreds of photos posted) I'd suggest for two non working exhibits the cosmetic appearance is all that really matters as neither will ever steam again. 'DDE' had at least received attention whereas to those of us in the UK, DoC appeared tatty and unloved.

http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/return-of-exiled-a4s.html

I'll expand my previous to include wondering about the fate of both gifts when they return.

jwealleans, on 23 Jun 2013 - 18:07, said:

James. Have a read of Owd Sweedy's post of 27-03-13 here. This is direct from the museum via one of the volunteers.

Thanks for the link :)

Makes quite a reassuring read; 4489 does look stunning (quite how representative of the loco in service the finish is, is open to debate though!) so it's nice to read that it'll be in a fitting environment upon it's return.

I'm not saying there ours to take back far from it, what I'm saying is I'm surprised that no group has formed. If the price is right then they may wish to sell, the funds might be better spent on a project with more local interest. other than the name the loco does not have any historical significance to a north american railroad museum. Look at the other locos that went abroad but have since returned.

If they go back I won't be that bothered but as I say I'm surprised it hasn't been mooted yet.

Reported in Steam Railway's latest issue that an approach has been made to buy No.8 with a view to returning it to mainline condition, and an operational trip to the USA as part of the deal. They were turned down and asked to not make a further offer. I agree with the view that they were gifted to the USA and Canada and that whilst anyone is welcome to enquire as to their availability, the respective museums should feel no pressure to sell.

There are plenty of foreign engines in museums across the UK and I feel that its a good idea to have ambassadors for UK steam abroad in the form of two magnificent machines. If the LNER had had the view that they should only preserve locomotives with historical significance to the company or to York, we wouldn't still have a GWR City to marvel at!

I'd much rather they'd left the Western rubbish and left room for an NER Atlantic! :D

What so you could have three east coast Atlantic's!!!!!!

City of Truro was a good choice for a number of reasons, lets forget the 102m.p.h.? run to start with. One of the last classes built with twin frames (also one of only 5? twin framed locos left) , one of the first classes to use a tapered boiler with super heat.

I can think of a good number of pre grouping locos that I'd have liked to have been saved, Claughton, Prince of Wales, High Flyer (the second class of Atlantic in Britain) and a whole lot more.

The other thing to remember is with out the "Western rubbish"  you would not have had the A3, A4 etc.

Before you say that I'm biased towards the G.W.R. I'm not.

OzzyO.

One of the biggest losses was not a steam loco but 10000, withdrawn in Dec 63 but not cut up until April 68, so approx 4 1/2 years in store. But at that time steam was going so that's what got saved. 

The last Patriot (un rebuilt) going in about 63-64.

• RMweb Gold

DoC appeared tatty and unloved.

..or in authentic ex BR condition.

We currently have 34051 languishing somewhere on the MHR awaiting cosmetic restoration aka a coat of paint.

You should see the casing - wavy, dented, generally beat to b*ggery...marvellous, just like I remember the things!

From this afternoon - stupidly busy but well worth a visit!

post-125-0-22705700-1373058893_thumb.jpg

post-125-0-34174300-1373059006_thumb.jpg

Shame about the headboards all six locos have, but never mind...

And from elsewhere, this is sadly progress :(

post-125-0-08959600-1373059079_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Archived