SPROG II

Guest tony graham

Guest tony graham

Have been looking and trying to understand all about SPRG II without and luck. I don't have it, but was wondering about its programming abilities.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have had any dealings with it?

• RMweb Gold

Have been looking and trying to understand all about SPRG II without and luck. I don't have it, but was wondering about its programming abilities.

Hi Tony,

Yes on both counts....

DEMU Scotland Area Group take one out as part of the Roadshow stand...

We usually have a lot of itnterest!

If you have/are going to have a SPROG I suggest the first step is to join the Yahoo Group.

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/sprog-dcc

There is a vast amount of knowledge in the group and problem solving is second nature!

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I've got a Sprog2 and when combined with DecoderPro on my Netbook PC it's a perfect set-up for programming decoders. There's no need to remember what CV does what - the user interface of DecoderPro does all the hard work for you.

Together with the JMRI software it can also be used as a DCC controller.

What it won't do is program sounds into sound decoders (you'll need the manufacturer specific programmer for that), but you'll still be able to change the standard settings on sound decoders.

Recommended.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

I have a Sprog II and think it is a very useful piece of kit. Go to the JMRI pages http://jmri.sourceforge.net/ and see for yourself about Decoder Pro which is the essential driver software.

Decoder Pro is free and versions are currently available for Windows, Mac & Linux. (and I wouldn't be surprised if a version came for hand helds.)

P.S. I think it would have been more appropriate to post this question in the DCC section

Keith

Just a word of caution amongst the froth, the only problem encountered with the Sprog was the installation on the laptop. I had to visit the UK distributor of Sprog II in order to resolve the software's inability to nominate the correct port and it almost defeated the distributor but having solved the problem, it has proved to be useful.

Except the JMRI software is always behind the curve on updates and does not recognise some of the most common decoders on the current market e.g Bachmann 36-553 but you can work around most problems using generic selections of decoders.

It is certainly a worthwhile purchase but nowadays I tend to use the DCC system to programme my decoders rather unpack the Sprog and flash up the laptop.

Ask Dave Smith about programming with the Sprog, we were using it during our last expose at Dortmund.

Tim

• RMweb Gold

I have one and it is the most useful DCC accessory I have ever purchased. I use it with JMRI on a Windows XP netbook. I've installed it on various other PCs and fortunately I've never had any problem with port allocation. When I can't have any layouts out I can also use the throttle option with JMRI to drive a train up and down the few feet of track on the computer desk. definitely preferable to going out to the layout to do a bit of programming1

Tony

I've got a sprogII and I'm a big fan of it as a programmer. As a layout controller you need reasonably up to date firmware and its really only up to driving either a booster or a small N layout.

I run it with JMRI on a PC with no problems (Linux in this case but SprogII seems to work well with most systems although Windoze 7 people seem to have endless USB serial driver problems). Vendor support seems excellent.

(and you can add updated Decoder definitions to your install btw..)

The latest issue of the MERG journal has an article on adapting a Microsoft Bluetooth numeric keypad and a SPROG to give ultra cheap wireless control.

I would agree that the DecoderPro software is always behind the curve on keeping up with the latest decoders. However, it is an open source application so it is straightforward to add your own decoder description files.

James - another satisfied SPROG user

Bought one last week and I must say I am impressed with it. Did have a minor problem with the ports, but this was easily solved. If you have a lot of loco's to do, it makes life easy. My son and I did around 80 over the weekend. We are changing our fleets from 2 digit to 4 digit addresses and it is much easier than working away on the controller.

• Like 1

Except the JMRI software is always behind the curve on updates and does not recognise some of the most common decoders on the current market e.g Bachmann 36-553 but you can work around most problems using generic selections of decoders.

Tim,

The issue around this is that decoders such as the Bachmann 36-553 isn't manufactured by Bachmann and as such still has its original manufacturers identification configured into it. The definition for the 36-553 is in Decoder Pro, however it is under the original manufacture ESU.

What you have to remember is that JMRI is open source with "no paid programmers or support" it is all done by people willing to give up their time freely to help others. So at times it can take a little while for some decoder definitions to appear into the software, plus given that there is quite a majority of users in the US that provide support help and decoder definitions, some of the European decoder definitions can take a little while to appear.

Regards

Kevin

• 8 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Anyone know if there is definition available for a Dapol Imperium ?

The Imperiums are LaisDCC chips so use the LaisDCC 860019 for the 21pin Imperium1 and the LaisDCC 860015 for the Next18 Imperium2

• Informative/Useful 1