Isle of Wight engineers hopper wagons

Hi guys,

I did try posting this question in the Prototype questions section then thought I'd ask here as well.

I've started to slowly build a bit of Isle of Wight stock in 4mm scale between other projects. My question is about liveries carried by some of the wagons in the 1980s/early 90s. I have good pictures of the 15T brake van in engineers grey and yellow but can anybody tell me what livery the Dogfish wagons carried? I know that the single ex Iron Ore hopper was in engineers red but were the Dogfish in the same livery. I know I saw them close up at the Ryderail Festival in 1986 but I didn't take photographs. They appear briefly in a Railscene video from the same year but its fleeting and difficult to see if they are the same as the Iron ore wagon. They could have been a very weathered red or bauxite (again very weathered). Pictures that I've found on the web (following links off this forum) are useful references but are all b/w. I've got a Cambrian Dogfish kit lined up on the workbench ready.

Also what paint is a good match for the engineers grey as applied to the brake van. I was thinking of just using Precision's Railfreight grey.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either of these?

Patrick

• RMweb Premium

Below is a photo of a Dogfish aquired by the ESR from the Isle of Wight when the PW stock was moved of the Island. It is the one closest to the camera the other 2 came from a different source and may have been black.

post-9897-0-37981400-1302528929_thumb.jpg

No alterations have been made to it since it arrived apart from freeing up the brake gear and the discharge door operating mechanism

HTH

SS

Thanks for the pic SS, I don't remember them being a colour like that but then heavy weathering and rust can make most colours look very different. I wonder if the green (or is it grey?) was applied around the time of privatisation?

I may well end up going for a heavily rusted and weathered version of engineers red.

Patrick

Brilliant thanks for posting that. So it obviously got the standard engineers grey/yellow livery at some time after 1986 then. Looks like at least one hopper in my rake will end up in that livery then and it could be a good weathering exercise as well.

Patrick

• 9 years later...

I notice that the hopper that was until recently 'on the mainline' on the island has, in the last week or two moved to Haven Street (pulled by road-railer to Sandown and then lorry) the IWSR blog implied it was being stored whilst the mainline was being refurbished, (and therefore might return?).

Also worth noting that the IWSR have two 'very similar to dogfish' hoppers that are in fact London Transport HW wagons, I don't know if these are ex IOW'mainline' or came from LT.

A search for '03179 Isle of wight' brought up a few, and then I found this 

Class 03 Shunters at Sandown, Isle of Wight. August 1990.

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Thanks 1

This photo shows 3 gannets or trouts*, and a converted Iron Ore hopper

03079 Sandown 12-9-86

Sandown, Isle of Wight

*or related, I believe the SECR bought some from one of the big wagon builders, for whom it was an 'off the shelf' design - Metropolitan perhaps?

Jon

Edited by jonhall
  • Thanks 1

one of the EX LT hoppers

Ex London Transport Ballast Hopper.

The EX 24t Iron Ore Hopper was converted to a Slag Ballast Wagon with a 12" Extension all the way round in the same manner as the Trought and Dogfish were. there is a Photo of one of the conversions DP335485 in David Larkin's "BR Departmental Rolling Stock a pictorial survey" (published by D Bradford Baron LTD ISBN 0 85153 348 5) book page 22. It states that the last one DP101453 was recently painted Olive Drab and Transferred to the Isle Of Wight. Would make an interesting model that. 

Cheers Trailrage

• Thanks 1

Blimey! I'd forgotten that I started this thread. Where did nine years go? Thank you for all the recent images chaps, some interesting things there. Particularly nice to see images of 05 001 and of 03 079 and 179 together. I only ever saw 179 sitting outside the depot at Ryde and 079 at Sandown.

I have to confess, my plan to build an IOW engineers train hasn't actually advanced in all this time. 03 179 and the iron ore hopper are done but the Cambrian Dogfish kits  remain unstarted and the 15 ton brake van was built in 1930s Southern guise so I'll need another one to finish in 80s condition. 

Edited by PatC