DLT's NG Workbench - Back to The Hunslets

DLT

• RMweb Premium
On 14/04/2019 at 06:42, Jack P said:

I was about to ask/ mention, as it looks so much better - what chimney did you use in the end?

The replacement chimney came from another kit that I'm butchering for parts.  It was much too tall to start with, so I very carefully shortened it by cutting the cap off, filing down the pipe and soldering the cap back on, while trying to keep it as level as possible!  Its not quite level, but that probably won't show while its running on a layout.

While the mechanism runs very nicely, the loco has a slight rocking motion, the cause of which I've not been able to trace.  Until now.   The driving wheels are eccentric, the axle hole isn't exactly in the middle.  They are Alan Gibson products and having used loads of them in the past, I've never had this issue before.  Got a couple of ideas for remedy, neither of them easy, maybe I need to live with it.

Frustrated, Dave.

• RMweb Premium
On 04/05/2019 at 00:19, Corbs said:

Ah darn. Are they capable of a straight swap for replacements?

In happier tidings, 'Boadicea' cropped up on my instagram atop a flat wagon, looking very nice.

Are yes, Mr. Malton testing out his new Abbey Light Railway bogie flat wagon.

The Gibson wheels are an interference fit on the axle, and being outside-framed, they have the bearings and cranks outboard of them.  So doing anything to them  is a headache....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

With various 7mmNGA events coming up, I thought I had better fix up my Baldwin Tractor.  A while ago it shed it's quartering, and currently looks like this:

1228559540_IMG_4837small.jpg.1e1bed79dc925e681878f2657625763b.jpg

The cause was another split crank, but fortunately I have spares as Neil Sayer had sent me several last time one split.  Not sure why this is happening; crank material too hard?  Interference fit too tight?  This time I might open out the axle holes slightly and rely more on a Loctite bond than on the interference fit.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

That's better:

1416453836_IMG_4840small.jpg.e27f5d1e0c7c012c812403e505582469.jpg

New crank fitted and painted.  I eased the axle hole so that it was a sliding fit (rather than an interference fit) and secured it with Loctite.  At the same time I modified any other loose cranks the same way.

Just a bit of dirtying needed now.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I've added some more coal loads to the wagons, finer grade house- coal this time.  I've represented it by using Slaters ballast and painting it matt-black.  To give it a coal-like sheen, I then painted it with Humbrol Metalcote Gunmetal, and polished it up. 

Real coal in coarse lumps on the left, finer, artificial coal on the right.

1050425138_IMG_4845small.jpg.f61da95127a40ec2b4ce8ff7b3282ff1.jpg

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ok, that photo was taken in direct sunlight, so the coal looks WAY too glittery.  I prefer taking model photos at night so that I can control the lighting better.  I will take some more, but everything is packed away ready for SWING now.

Dave.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 01/05/2014 at 07:08, DLT said:

Thanks Peter,

The red colour by the way, is Railmatch GW Indian-Red.  A very pleasing shade, although one I expected to be more orangey brown.

Bufferbeams and motion are Railmatch Bufferbeam-Red.

Cheers, Dave.

Another BGM with updated kit with heavy brass gearbox up front helping balance, but no longer supplied with motor hence rods not fixed whilst waiting for one to arrive.  A very well thought out kit IMHO.

BGM 4 October.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks nice, I hadn't realised it was available again.  What sort of motor are you going to use?  And do you have a topic running?

Thanks very much, Dave.

I’m waiting for a 1222 from Dragon that should be a straight swap for the Mashima 1220 with 1.5mm shaft.

Narrow Planet advertised a short re run a few months ago, not sure how many.

i don’t build too many kits but they have all been a bit old, second generation at best.

This is easily the most accurate and well thought out I have had.

The cast gearbox is the answer to balance though the resin version is still supplied.

a pig to drill for jack shaft but worth it.

No thread as felt echo chamber syndrome last time I bothered

Edited by LaScala
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 04/10/2019 at 22:20, LaScala said:

I’m waiting for a 1222 from Dragon that should be a straight swap for the Mashima 1220 with 1.5mm shaft.

Narrow Planet advertised a short re run a few months ago, not sure how many.

i don’t build too many kits but they have all been a bit old, second generation at best.

This is easily the most accurate and well thought out I have had.

The cast gearbox is the answer to balance though the resin version is still supplied.

a pig to drill for jack shaft but worth it.

No thread as felt echo chamber syndrome last time I bothered

One of the new Highlevel motors would be just the job for the BGM

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

While I'm between SR loco projects, I've taken the chance to get back to the narrow gauge Hunslets.  Turned up a pair of sandpots in brass on my recently acquired Unimat 3 lathe.  Had failed to locate any of these as available accessories.

760901356_IMG_6601small.jpg.afed97abbc37c1dd900d41d3b2739e1b.jpg

Sitting on the loco.  That cast chimney is "borrowed" from a Vulcan Hunslet SLR kit.

754212320_IMG_6604small.jpg.0a09253a5ad871d4073c04a5f160f149.jpg

Looking like a Sputnik now I've added control rods and pipes.

74123790_IMG_6612small.jpg.84691606acbe4a686acd8d16f3fcfc26.jpg

And in place.  The sandpipes look a bit thin to me, I'll try thicker wire.

Swapped the chimney for a much better brass version, but is it a bit on the small side?

278477857_IMG_6609small.jpg.cd2c3ee474ad74c269189a7d47971a9e.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

By the way, please can anyone tell me more about this particular Hunslet?  Its not one I've come across before, and its very much what I'm building!

Any ideas where I can find more photos or a drawing?

539750658_HE_1074.Hunslet242Small.jpg.c000e1b192b7caa8c111bea6f9118c2a.jpg

First posted by Sir Douglas here:  Freelance narrow gauge locos

Many thanks for any help you can give!

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DLT said:

Swapped the chimney for a much better brass version, but is it a bit on the small side?

Looks ok from that angle but have you got a further back shot to see it in profile better as it’s difficult to judge that :) 

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Dave 

I have the same photo which you can read the loco number on the plate which is 1074 of 1911. 

It was supplied to the 3' gauge Santa Marta Railway in Columbia.

As Mike says all the steam locomotive drawings are at Statfold.

From the information I have I think the General Arrangement drg no is 16958.

Andy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Trams and Locos said:

Dave 

I have the same photo which you can read the loco number on the plate which is 1074 of 1911. 

It was supplied to the 3' gauge Santa Marta Railway in Columbia.

As Mike says all the steam locomotive drawings are at Statfold.

From the information I have I think the General Arrangement drg no is 16958.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy, I've sent you a PM.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2021 at 08:55, PaulRhB said:

Looks ok from that angle but have you got a further back shot to see it in profile better as it’s difficult to judge that :) 

1234769415_IMG_6626small.jpg.c82decaad112f54d5c696a69ff272c64.jpg

1511962823_IMG_6627small.jpg.f893f76aa58add2cb321aba4ed6ae95c.jpg

Hmmm, the brass version is one I made many years ago fro a project that didn't happen (had a few of those), but I think the whitemetal one is better proportioned.

So its probably back to the lathe again.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, I really needed to get moving with this project again, if only to prevent the shelf above the bench starting to look like the Penrhyn scrap-line...

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLT said:

Hmmm, the brass version is one I made many years ago fro a project that didn't happen (had a few of those), but I think the whitemetal one is better proportioned.

Yes I agree the whitemetal one is a better height. I think the ‘body’ of that with the wider flared top of the brass one might work? 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

No further progress on this topic, but I HAVE restored all the photos that were lost in the site hosting change.

Oddly though, I've used all the same photos but they are appearing on the page much larger than they did previously.

Not that I'm complaining...! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3