Whiteoak Light Railway O-16.5

Greengiant

I remember this layout from somewhere else. Maybe the old RMweb?

Really nice details and consistent quality. I assume from the track plan that the sidings that go into buildings are all reachable from the rear to change loads etc?

Am I right in assuming Peco track? Having just wrestled with an over centre spring that had removed itself (and I won!!!) it looks somewhat familiar.

• RMweb Gold

Martin, what can I say! This is simply superb! I've not seen this before and thanks for adding these photos.

The buildings look very good and the weathering looks spot-on. I also like the contrast between the buildings and the rolling stock.

I would really like to see this at an exhibition sometime.

I remember this layout from somewhere else. Maybe the old RMweb?

Really nice details and consistent quality. I assume from the track plan that the sidings that go into buildings are all reachable from the rear to change loads etc?

Thank you everyone for your kind comments, very much appreciated.

Yes the the track does go into the factories at three locations, hopefully this trackplan is a bit clearer.

file-50.jpg

The original idea was for loaded\empty wagons to be shunted into the factories, these would be swapped by the fiddleyard operators and loaded/unloaded wagons shunted out.

The reality at exhibitions is for this not to happen, purely because we try and run an intensive service to keep things moving for the spectators and we find very little spare time for the front operators to shunt. However, this weekend we are hoping to try something different by having the fiddleyard operators running all through trains, thereby leaving the front operators time to shunt and answer questions when asked.

The fiddleyard operators now have the luxury of mirrors fixed under the lighting rig which gives them an aerial view of the proceedings front of stage, infact it is now easier to perform some of the uncoupling moves from the back because the magnets are easier to see from above.

This picture shows the mirrors, which I had custom made from mirror perspex.

May31_4.jpg

Am I right in assuming Peco track? Having just wrestled with an over centre spring that had removed itself (and I won!!!) it looks somewhat familiar.

Yes, Peco track with the 'ears' on the tie bars removed, then weathered and dry brushed.

Next time I will hand build the track, the frogs in the points are too gappy for some of my four wheel stock, to stop the tell-tall drop into the frog I have glued thin slices of plasticard in the base of the frog so the wheel flanges keep the loco level at these points, not graceful engineering, but it works.

Martin

• Like 1

Stunning doesn't begin to describe it - Superb. I love the water - what did you use?

Shortliner

The water is polyfilla flicked up with a spatula to give the ripples and waves, this was then painted with acrylics, coated with four coats of yacht varnish and finally dry brushing the crests of the waves with white acrylic.

A couple of pics showing some of the process, you will see the initial colouring is quite light, the yacht varnish darkens it considerably.

P6180438.jpg

P6230465.jpg

Martin

• Like 6

Looking terrific Martin, I will actually get to see it one day!

Do you have any more exhibition bookings?

Cheers,

Dave.T

Hi David

Yes, we will be at Folkestone in October this year and Burgess Hill in May 2012.

I still need to see Charmouth in the flesh but have seen Bridport and enjoyed that.

Martin

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the Folkestone show has been and gone and the layout ran well and attracted a number of good comments which is appreciated.

Since then work has started on further development.

The sign has now been painted on Rowe the importers/exporters warehouse, but still needs to be faded back.

The fitters have also been busy installing new pipework and tanks, the painters are due soon to finish it off.

post-7294-0-38574300-1318886988.jpg

Martin

• Like 3

Where will this building fit in the grand scheme? From the earlier photos, I thought this layout was complete.

The building is already there, it can be seen in this photo behind the green tank. I have always thought it looked a bit plain and needed some bits adding.

file-23.jpg

Martin

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Bit more work on the building, the sign has had some treatment from the air eraser to knock it back.

file-67.jpg

Some pre-shading work with the airbrush.

file-66.jpg

The pipework and tank installed now await final weathering before installing back on the layout.

file-68.jpg

Martin

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...