Whiteoak Light Railway O-16.5

Greengiant

This time next week, if all has gone to plan, Whiteoak should be all set up at Rail 2014, Houten, Netherlands.

I have been making a few changes to the presentation.

This is what I started out with ...

IMG_3361_zpsd6fa61e8.jpg

IMG_3377_zpsd89f4197.jpg

... and ended up with this.

IMG_3379_zpsb5ad8579.jpg

There is now a video to watch while waiting for trains to appear on scene. The mounting of the video meant the original light sign had to go. New ones were made, you shouldn't be able to miss the layout now, these some of the construction stages.

IMG_3364_zpsa9ded03e.jpg

IMG_3365_zpsb8dd4904.jpg

IMG_3378_zps75959ee0.jpg

Martin

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

not sure how but I have only just found this thread, your layout is inspiring, a great track plan and very well executed scene surrounded well modelled and weatherede stock. Very impressive layout, I look forward to getting the chance to see it int he flesh one day.

best wishes

Simon

• RMweb Premium

One thing to watch out for is the size of some On30 stock - although a slightly smaller scale (1/48 and not 1/43) the big Bachmann locos and the bogie wagons and coaches are actually much bigger than most of the stock Martin uses - tight curves could be a problem and you should plan carefully before going too far.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I have acquired a coach and a Porter 0-4-2 tankie to work with and I will also be working in a slightly different scale although based on On30. A new thread will appear explaining all soon. Apologies for the part hijack of your thread Martin.

best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have only one disappointment with the thread, it is far too short. Would have loved to see detailing of the build. The pictures in post one are lovely, nice close up of excellent detailing. Loved speak to you at Spalding 2014. I can add my snaps here as well, although they are not as good as your own pictures. Thank you for taking the time to give an insight into a lovely exhibition layout. I loved that the names were linked to your family and the other operators, especially the boat name for your daughters.

Copied from Arboretum Valley..........

I had to queue to get to this one......

med_gallery_17883_3195_637004.jpgrmweb3513spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_703947.jpg

the boat was of interest, when I spoke to the owner I asked if the name had any connotations and he said it was named after his three daughters

items such as the sentinel was named after family members, and the names on the back was for operators and the for sale signs for a new operators that was an estate agent......

all very clever....

med_gallery_17883_3195_370159.jpgrmweb3515spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_690560.jpgrmweb3515spalding2014

....con't....

the limited palette had great impact as well....

and the light weathering showed it off magnificently

med_gallery_17883_3195_771551.jpgrmweb3517spalding2014

med_gallery_17883_3195_11897.jpgrmweb3518spalding2014

unfortunately I was not able to lean in, and it never occurred to me to ask, with such a crush of people...getting knocked was too much of a risk...

med_gallery_17883_3195_599500.jpgrmweb3520spalding2014

other pictures from the Spalding 2014 show......
  • Like 4

I have just found this thread - fantastic! I will be starting the other half of my 8' x 4' On30/O-16.5 layout soon, the British half, food for thought.

Two comments at this time:-

The knuckle couplers look great as no buffers are present.

My Bachmann Forney is happy on 18" radius track.

Just had a quick look and there are some real good back notes to this layout. I particularly liked seeing the boat in its infancy before you loaded it up with detail.

Many people will never see this stuff now. If you ever have a some time to kill, I think people might appreciate you pulling the pictures thru. Especially a couple at a time so people can ask you questions - if you remember after so long  :jester:

I know a lot of people like to see the finished product, but many of us are hoping to emulate good modelling, (AV followers include a number of gifted models who have started to share more and more of how they do it - on their own threads of course......and seeing your in the process work, offering some steps along the way, helps some of us to work out how to improve our own work is really nice.

Regardless the link is here......if redoing it seems wasteful.....you could just edit and add the link on page one....unless you did already and I missed it.

Thanks again for the link I personally found it very interesting. Especially noticing how you built up your colours. Doing so with a limited palette is a real art. :sungum:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Martin, thanks for getting back. I have now received a 7mm Branchlines GVT complete loco kit and a Peco 4 wheel coach kit and checking the wheels have found them very attracted to the Bachmann under-track uncoupling magnets. Do you use magnets, and if so have you replaced steel axles with brass? I'm aware of other threads discussing this topic but just wondered what your solution is.

Martin, thanks for getting back. I have now received a 7mm Branchlines GVT complete loco kit and a Peco 4 wheel coach kit and checking the wheels have found them very attracted to the Bachmann under-track uncoupling magnets. Do you use magnets, and if so have you replaced steel axles with brass? I'm aware of other threads discussing this topic but just wondered what your solution is.

I have had a similar issue on my n gauge layout using magnetic couplins and have gone against the grain by replacing metal wheels and axles with plastic solving the issue so totally agree about avoiding any steel parts in the wheel sets.

Best wishes

Simon

• 4 months later...

Martin, just wondered if you could answer my question above.

I have just installed a Kadee #146, which is a standard HO replacement for Bachmann factory fitted HO/On30 couplers. Fitting under the Peco 4 wheel coach onto the Peco coupling support it is exactly the same height as my On30 stock. Of course when running over the under-track magnet it uncouples and centres over the magnet....

Martin, just wondered if you could answer my question above.

I have just installed a Kadee #146, which is a standard HO replacement for Bachmann factory fitted HO/On30 couplers. Fitting under the Peco 4 wheel coach onto the Peco coupling support it is exactly the same height as my On30 stock. Of course when running over the under-track magnet it uncouples and centres over the magnet....

Hi Jeff,

I use Kadee under and in track magnets. No problem with coaches centring over the magnet. I used the wheels that came in the Peco kit, most of my goods stock is Chivers and their axles are not attracted by the magnets.

You could try putting small foam brakes rubbing against your axles to help reduce the magnet effect.

Martin

Martin - interesting, mine jump and uncouple every time over the magnets (Bachmann under-track). I have ordered brass axles from Andy at the Proto87stores in the hope it cures or at least lessens the problem.

• 1 year later...

For sale

With new projects on the go it is time to make space, so Whiteoak Light Railway is up for sale.

​Overall size 11' x 3', continuous run with rear fiddle yard.

Proscenium arch style presentation, legs, lighting, curtains, raised storage boxes and two chairs that the boxes were designed to support. Layout breaks down into two 4' x 3' boards and two 1'6'' x 3' boards.

​Wired for DCC, Cat5 sockets front and rear, points by duplicate front and rear mimic panels (not DCC), front point motors are Tortoise, fiddle yard point motors are Peco, route setting on fiddle yard by diode matrix.

​WLR has appeared at a number of shows and still attracts invites, sold as a complete package to exhibit apart from the rolling stock and controllers. Currently transported in a custom 10' x 5' trailer, so would need a small van or two large cars to move.

Appeared in January 2012 Railway Modeller and due to appear in Model Rail.

Located not far from M25 jnc3.

Price £650

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was a good few years ago Whiteoak was put into storage with no plans for it to reappear. Fast forward to today and it has now seen the light of day again in not too bad a shape, if a little dusty, grubby and light damage, but nothing that cannot be fixed. These are some pictures after it's extraction, I was expecting worse, I thought the buildings would have distorted due to some of the high temperatures it would of had to endure during the summers, but they have faired well. The only real deterioration is some of the ink jet printed signs, they have faded somewhat, but simple enough to fix, I still have all the digital artwork. The reason for the extraction is an impending outing to our club's exhibition in January next year, so have a few weeks to get it cleaned and up and running again.

49078698127_1714a8e88c_c.jpg

49078494986_f82974b9eb_c.jpg

49077968963_f9cbfbee8e_c.jpg

49078497596_2f036db4cb_c.jpg

49078498056_df5681e802_c.jpg

49078498141_43dc38bf7c_c.jpg

49077971013_ef7a3e6b2d_c.jpg

49078701832_f7b219e9e2_c.jpg

49077971073_f3ddf8af23_c.jpg

49078498786_dc2ee9f3b3_c.jpg

49078702682_7c9f0d4c98_c.jpg

49078499836_c4980f8899_c.jpg

49078500121_bfa82e13e3_c.jpg

49077972398_81aeb5da9a_c.jpg

After a quick brush and hoover, starting to look a bit more like it, lots still to do though.

49077972428_76213c21ae_c.jpg

49078499731_33d7197ce9_c.jpg

After spending some time cleaning, repairing and testing Whiteoak, the station building was removed to facilitate some repairs to the canopy, very pleased I screwed all the buildings in place rather than gluing in permanently.

49153425597_ebbceef16b_c.jpg

What this revealed was I never did finish the unseen side of the building!

49152722733_134bb0396f_c.jpg

With the station building out of the way it allowed photo angles that were previously impossible.

49153425797_1beee6a69b_c.jpg

49153220561_1c1743e41d_c.jpg

On testing I found a point in the fiddle yard that had not been fully wired up. The switch rails were not hard wired, and the frog was not connected. How this had worked for many years at a good number of shows without problems beats me. It was easy enough to remove and do my usual point modifying.

49153220566_96263e6abd_c.jpg

Since building Whiteoak I have made a number of new locos that run on The Yard and Theobald's yard, these have now been tested on Whiteoak with only a couple of issues. The big Whitcombe exhaust fouled the exit through the backscene when exiting stage left and fouled the overhead framing in the fiddle yard on all roads, simple enough fix with a power file.

49152722973_21fa92cee5_c.jpg

One of the factories has some corner damage.

49152722993_e88621e5a3_c.jpg

What I am finding is the worst damage is what I can only assume is spider deposits, black or white dots all over the layout, the hardest hit area is the varnish on the dockside water, it has etched itself into the varnish and looks like the plague. Even T-cut will not shift it, so looks like some light sanding and a few new coats of varnish are called for to correct this damage.

Martin

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1