"West Booley"

shortliner

Jack,

You may want to consider what's a popular rail served industry here in the States - waste paper recycling - inbound and outbound boxcar traffic as well as the odd tank car with chemicals for the process; as well as all the neat bits of detail such as tanks, piping, etc.. Excellent work thus far...

JP

• 1 month later...

West Booley may be back on the cards - 2 things were bothering me about it - #1 it was too simple, and #2 what to do about the join down the middle of the back scene. Wandering around B&Q the other day, I discovered that they had 10' lengths of Marley pipe extrusions on an "Everything must go!" rack for 50p. I bought one - how I got it home in the Ka is another story! - and did some cutting. to make a plant. I added another switch into the front track and made a kick-back siding - this will have an unloading point and there will be a pipe-bridge up over the tracks to the plant. A front "tank" and its rear "half- tank" will be glued to each side of the backscene - the top "plugs-in" holding the join closed. The two over-size , out of scale containers were picked up in the local charity shop for 10p each, and will form the basis for a building. It is sitting atop the other layout, so doesn't really have that enormously thick baseboard

post-6688-0-58571700-1307780630_thumb.jpg

Guest jonte

West Booley may be back on the cards - 2 things were bothering me about it - #1 it was too simple, and #2 what to do about the join down the middle of the back scene. Wandering around B&Q the other day, I discovered that they had 10' lengths of Marley pipe extrusions on an "Everything must go!" rack for 50p. I bought one - how I got it home in the Ka is another story! - and did some cutting. to make a plant. I added another switch into the front track and made a kick-back siding - this will have an unloading point and there will be a pipe-bridge up over the tracks to the plant. A front "tank" and its rear "half- tank" will be glued to each side of the backscene - the top "plugs-in" holding the join closed. The two over-size , out of scale containers were picked up in the local charity shop for 10p each, and will form the basis for a building. It is sitting atop the other layout, so doesn't really have that enormously thick baseboard

Glad to see you're reinvigorated, Jack. I've read in these pages about others who've returned to a project with renewed enthuiaism after taking time out. Incredible too how modelling can affect our view of even the most mundane of items. Also admire your knack for a bargain!

Interested to see how this turns out.

Best wishes,

Jonte

PS.........the gaps in a backscene have been of some concern to me to of late, Jack as I'm sure you're aware. Perhaps unnecessarily so. Randomly been going over the pages of several layouts with the intention of 'blackline' spotting. It's amazing that I'd never noticed them before. Secret: distract the observer's attention with a cracking model !! :lol: So you see, you'll get away with it. In my case, I still need to find a solution :(

Jonte, thanks for your comments - gaps in the backscene have always been a problem I try to reduce them by having a building, or a chimney against one side, so that it disappears in the shadows at the back, or by gluing a tree to one side so that it covers the crack when assembled. this falls into a similar category, but the centre of the tanks/bins/silos form a natural join, and in this case, a workman will form the top "eye-distracter/hider" so that at least it is less visible. The railings are another of those "Hmmmm! What could that be used for??" while in Aldi. it is a strip cut from a non-stick cooking mat - originally bought because I thought it would make windows for scratched buildings - it just developed another use, although it may need having the bottom row trimmed off. Nothing yet painted! Note the LPB (Little Plastic Bloke) is actually against the back, and not balanced on the railing as it initially appears :laugh:

post-6688-0-06323300-1307885114_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you're reinvigorated, Jack. I've read in these pages about others who've returned to a project with renewed enthuiaism after taking time out.

Jonte

Ditto. I didn't say but I got kind of worried when you abandoned this project, Jack! If you want me to seek out 3.5mm scale etched railing I'll do so for you?

Best, Pete.

Think that's really clever.

Archived