NERAG

The Black Hat

Guest TomTank

Aha !, there you are. The pincher of my Avatar !:angry: Harrumph !.

I'm sorry?

I asked permission from a chap on Flickr if I could use it

just cos it's a BR totem on Black background doesn't mean it's yours! I don't appreciate slanderous comments! :angry:

I'm sorry?

I asked permission from a chap on Flickr if I could use it

just cos it's a BR totem on Black background doesn't mean it's yours! I don't appreciate slanderous comments! angry.gif

And I don`t appreciate those who copy other peoples work. I have replied to your PM.

Can we keep anything further on that subject to PMs please? :)

Snow has been fairly bad up here but not impassable (yet). Although I've just heard on the news that 12 lorries have jack-knifed on the A1 at the Angel.

Guest TomTank

Can we keep anything further on that subject to PMs please? :)

Snow has been fairly bad up here but not impassable (yet). Although I've just heard on the news that 12 lorries have jack-knifed on the A1 at the Angel.

All sorted :) me and Nortonian are friends :)

Had a heck of alot more this morning and it's still snowing... could this rival the 62/63 snow i have heard so much about?

Guest Max Stafford

If it lasts through February then I suppose 'yes' could be the answer. It's looking a bit like 1979 so far though, but I remember it being much like this between 1982 and 1987. In Central Scotland, we had a run of particularly cold ones then. From what I remember as a kid, 1970s winters weren't that different from what we've been having in the recent past with a late snap in February. That changed in 1978 and for most of the next ten years we had some reasonably protracted severe cold spells.

Less sophisticated technology and less car dependence meant that we coped with it better though.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd share this - I called into Stockton modeller, as I was in the area today. Went and purchased some things but in conversation, it was mentioned that they were thinking of commissioning a North East private owners wagon. I didnt think too many ran around the north east, with most flows being sorted by the railway company. Might some companies have their own wagons, if so who, and how many. I would love someone like Parsons-Byers from Weardale to have their own.... but think most around here were organised with hoppers.

Any suggestions?

Guest Max Stafford

Not something I know a great deal about, David. I was unaware of much PO influence in the NE.

And now for something completely different; I've just finished re-numbering a Bachmann early crest Ivatt 2 to 46479 and adding a 'skinny' chimney. I know this loco was a Stainmore regular in the mid '50s but does anybody know where it was based? I suspect Darlington, but I'm not an expert on NE allocations.

Dave.

Dave, 'Locomotive shed allocation index' here, (Kenton of this parish is involved with it) shows 46479 at West Auckland in 1951/2, at Darlington 1955/59/60, then Heaton, Tweedmouth and Dumfries.

I got the impression that there wasnt a load of wagons in private ownership around in the north east, with things either being nationalised or being run in railway owned stock, pending on when your on about. The 16T mineral wagon, and the 21t hopper, seem to satisfy most needs for the north east, as it was largely about shifting coal, while there was others for the likes of steel and ore. In any case, i dont know many instances of private ownership wagons being used, but thought there was something from Weardale that might have been used, but even so this would have been much earlier too.

Shame, as a commissioned model would be nice for the north east....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening all

I don't know how has this section passed me by. Must be slipping.

I live on the Durham coast and am interested in anything railway although I would say my main interest is BR blue type things. I do keep in touch with the current scene too. I have just finished dismatling my first layout, and so I'm on a bit of a downer as far as that goes, but the reason for dismantling is that I am moving up into the loft space with much more room.

Guest Max Stafford

Oh, you have sooo many HTO/HTV to build if you're going to be doing blue era Durham coast... :blink: ;) Good luck with your new loft layout!

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive recently been in one north east shop and they were thinking of commissioning a run of special wagons to be made. I suggested that the perfect ones to make would be the Tyne-Dock to Consett Iron Ore wagons that were paired up with Q7's, 9Fs and in the end I think some class 40s, for the long loaded up hil run to Consett.

Would anyone else be interested in buying them, and if so, how many would you get?

Guest Max Stafford

David, whilst I agree that the side discharge hoppers would be an excellent model, it is rather a complex design and would probably be an expensive tooling. That said, I would take 8-10 of such a model, where it ever to be produced.

Dave.

Well.... I gather most of us are not getting much in the way of new models, unless you want random interlopers onto your layout....

I was half expecting the Bachmann annoucement would give the Eastern region something to enjoy, and prayed that it would lead to something that could be construed for the North East....

More midland rubbish was not what i wanted for expected.... and dont start me on people refering to an "S&D" 7F.....

In times past when the North East wasn't happy we'd raise an army and march south.... While im up for it, I reckon its a numbers game that lets us down.... still, my banner flies here in rebellion over the dross that the two leading companies have elected to produce.... looks like my interest in the hobby is waining...

David, are you overlooking the 4 different LNER wagons in BR liveries. More than we've had total rtr ever. They can go behind the Ivatt 2MT and Std 3MT, both local types.

Hornby are doing the L1. 2/3rds of which were built in Darlington and a lot ran locally. Then there is the bonus of the new A3, which will be perfect for doing as Lemberg. Long time Darlington station pilot.

Mike

Guest Max Stafford

David, Mike is right. I would also recommend having a go at building stuff for yourself too. It will regenerate your interest. I'd recommend investing in a jig. Admittedly expensive but once you've got it, you'll never build a duff-running chassis again!

You have the bonus of knowing that most local power was of the simple 0-6-0 variety and therefore, no tricky valve gear to worry about. You are also safe in the knowledge that you have a number of friends on here who build and can advise you when you run into situations that you're unsure about.

Anyway isn't making stuff what the North East was famous for? Keep the old tradition alive pal! ;)

Dave.

...midland rubbish ...

...the dross that the ... companies produce

Pruned somewhat, but it doesn't come across in a way that will win many friends with the people with the wherewithal to eventually produce something to your particular tastes. :icon_confused:

Pruned somewhat, but it doesn't come across in a way that will win many friends with the people with the wherewithal to eventually produce something to your particular tastes. icon_confused.gif

I dont think so... I know how to say things to get a conversation and debate going.

In any case, the LNER wagons are welcome, as much as the 16T mineral... although Id love a decent 21T hopper - still you cant have everything and your right in saying that some standard engines and ivatts were in the region. But this is my point about the North East.... it only lacks some pregrouping engines and you would be able to model the entire spectrum of locomotives, right from early diesels to a J21.

Plenty of former Midland region engines, your likes of a 43xxx and 46xxx mixed with standard designs drevived from their midland region forerunners. Yet, the only elements missing are the North Eastern region locomotives. Yes the L1 would be an addition to the region, but its an LNER example, and Im concerned with Hornby plumming for the Anglican area of the LNER network. They already have the Brit, B17, L1 for passenger services there and it would not take much more to add to this line up. That means a J15, rather than our J21, and whether some think its prudent or not, I will make my voice heard with the fury of gods own thunder if such a traversty occurs.

All the North Eastern region modellers have had to begin with are the engines produced for other areas, that by chance more than planning, also saw use within the region. Its a tragedy that such a region with a rich and varied history, particularly with railways should be so forgotten. I maintain the view that without some NER engines then the north east scene wont be modelled by those who are not as passionate as those of us proud to follow its heritage. Even some people in the North east will buy a S&DJR 7F, but people elsewhere would not consider modelling the North east without the pregrouping engines that the area was synominous for.

Meanwhile, having seen both ranges, I think the A3 is on the list of those to buy.... but Prince Palatine, rather than Lemberg! A L1 and Standard 3MT-T might join it... thats probably about it..... which for one year isnt a lot.

David. Whilst it may make you feel better to stamp your feet and throw your Teddy Bear (That's an A8 not a Class 14!) in the corner. A more conciliatory approach to the manufacturers will bring better results.

As I have said before they do read this stuff, and the more shall we say extreme comments do not go down well in Barwell and Margate.

The North Eastern stuff will happen, but the economic climate means that new releases will be planned around cross fertilisation, and joined up thinking around other manufacturers. The Class 85 and OTA's being good examples. When a pre-group 0-6-0 like the 3F is announced it is a good sign and a toe in the water, if it doesn't sell well things like J21's and J27's will be a long time coming. Also bear in mind that models of preserved engines always sell well. With 2 preserved examples of the 7F, one of which is on the NYMR it is a safe bet.

If you throw dirt, you only lose ground. (Old Chinese Saying)

Mike

Well, I don't know about you, but Black Hat's post looks tongue-in-cheek to me ... and as if the manufacturers read and take note of every post ... you're painting a picture of some kind of modelling "Big Brother" with its eye on every minor thread on a web forum, taking note of off-the-cuff random remarks, and then saying, "Well, that's it, no toys for the rude boys in the north-east". I didn't realise that posting things on a public forum as part of an on-going conversation constituted an "approach to the manufacturers"?* :rolleyes: ;)

David (another one)

Tyneside

*Well, seeing as the all-seeing eye of officialdom is apparently reading this thread, can I have my bins emptied a couple of hours later, and would the Bridge Hotel put Old Rosie back on the bar please? Thankyou, the used fivers are in the envelope in the usual place. ;)

Not necessarily just the "authority" that might be put off by what may be read (rightly or wrongly) as a rant. Punters also.

O wad some Power the giftie gie us / To see oursels as ithers see us!

(Burns)

However, it's your cause to present, not mine. :)

My entire viewpoint isnt really expressed here. Yes Mike, I agree that the Midland 3F bodes well, for the likes of 0-6-0 engines. Given that the midland engine had quite a significant geographical sphere of opperation I think its likely that the engine should sell well. Hopefully it will lead to other engines of a similar nature being made, but as I said above, Im concerned that it could mean other regions of the Eastern Region see their pregrouping engines favoured over those from the North East and that again, our area looses out.

Bachmann have produced a varied programme, with forays into markets that are being explored by other competitors. The Scenecraft and the Electric locomotives are examples of this. However, the main draw for companies is still which steam engines they are to produce given the variety of choices that exist, but also which ones to make. A lot of models do have overlapping areas of opperation meaning that some locomotives are quite suitable for the north east, even if this is more chance than by virtue.

Despite the fact that I might seem to blow hot and cold, this is just me stirring up a responce and getting things noticed. Its easy to put words onto a forum and then see how people jump and respond. Yet my goal was achieved in the fact that a debate was started and the issues around how many people want them or how many they would buy is done. Disinformation is just as good as information on a forum, so I think model companies take not of whats discussed but I think would back it up with better research and polling.

In the end, the powers at Margate and Barwell have made their dispositions. I know the latter is better for catering for the modeller and enthusiasts wishes, which is why I look to them for North Eastern traction. In the end, despite being more balanced and open minded than I do let on, I hope things will turn and that Mike is right that the NER area is catered for soon, following on from developments elsewhere that start the trend and move towards the classes that we long for.

However, when offered my choice personally, I think that 3F looks ugly... and antiquated compared to a J21 of similar vintage... that the 7F makes my blood boil when people say its an S&D engine, so I wont be getting one of them either. Its not that I dont like engines from elsewhere too.... Ive a very nice Western region pannier on shed at the moment!

Archived