oil terminals no more...

I didn't realise Jarrow OT had closed. Aerial phot of it in this post.

Afraid so, I was down Tyne Yard with the Thunderbird two / three month ago an d the fitter there (Paul) was telling me the final 'Jarrow tanks' had run the previous day.

Incidentally, I sometimes wonder what the general public make of a train of bogie tanks passing through that say "TEA" on the sides

A couple I can add. Rowfant originally built in WW2 used until 1967 latterly by Shell Mex BP probably served Gatwick Airport it was used by Class A tankers. Shell/BP looked at being able to retain the branch as a siding from Three Bridges. There where proposals that the crossing at Compasses corner had to be closed before the train could leave Three Bridges. There was also a fuel siding at Gatwick Airport in use from 1968 to 1972(replaced by Salfords). This was located just north of the station next to the slow lines. The Earlswood siding was for Hydelman oils who in the main supplied home heating oil. Salfords went out of service by 1988 replaced by a pipeline directly to the fuel farm at the airport.

Keith HC, Dursley 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Whilst having a day out last year around west yorkshire I noticed the oil terminal at Greetland nr Halifax is still pretty much in tact and decided to take another ride past to try and get a photo to put into my prototype info file.

having problems uploading a photo will try later

I only live a couple of miles away from Greetland so took the opportunity this afternoon to have a root around the former unloading site.  This is the state of play as at 28th June 2015...

Looking east with the site behind me showing the single line access still in existence although not connected to the Calder Valley line which can just be seen on the right.  

Looking west into the site.  The track disappears into vegetation.  The unloading compound can be seen in the distance.  On the left and out of shot behind the vegetation is the site of the former Greetland Junction Signalbox, and the junction its self where the route to Halifax and Bradford Interchange diverges from the Calder Valley line.

Buried in the vegetation is a set of points which create the two separate unloading sidings into the compound.

The point lever is still there too.

Together with this sign giving instructions to the train crew.

Access to the sidings, which are still in place, is blocked by palisade fencing.

The buffers are still in place too, as is the long unused pipework

Finally, a general view looking west from the A629 towards where the access to Greetland was situated just at the furthest point in the distance on the right hand line (down L&Y).  The signal on the adjacent up L&Y with the feather indicates the diverging route to Halifax.

I hope the above is of interest.

Edited to correct rogue inaccurate spellchecker !

Edited by 4630
  • Like 5

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is a possibility of oil wells in East Yorkshire too - a survey has recently been undertaken, on behalf of BP I think - certainly their logo is on a number of resultant markers near us!

Seeing loaded oil trains heading out of the aera would be nice but perhpas just a pipe dream... (appalling pun wasn't intended but let's go with it!)

Only recently found out, there was prospecting for oil in East Yorkshire within the vascinity of the York - Beverley line in the mid-late 1960s. Therefore why it wasn't lifted as quickly, because the Ministry wanted to retain at least a single line until the results where clear, so it suggests rail would have been used to transport the oil. However in Jan 1969, I guess a decision had been made not to extract the oil, and instructions a where issued to lift the remaining single line, and thus the line passed into history.

• 1 year later...

There was a small oil terminal at Dove Holes, near Buxton, Derbyshire.  I remember seeing it in the 1960s and have in mind it was built during WWII but can't find anything to substantiate that.  It must have been lifted and built over in the 1980-1990s.  I think there was a head shunt on the Buxton bound side (east) side of the line.  I've copied a map from the National Library of Scotland, permitted usage provided it is credited: http://maps.nls.uk/index.html.  The oil terminal is immediately east of the station.

Peterfgf

post-3553-0-63036700-1488912494_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Holybourne Oil Terminal between Bentley and Alton closed in September 2016 as the oil now goes by pipeline. The tankers are currently stored in the two sidings that were used to load them.

There was a small oil terminal at Dove Holes, near Buxton, Derbyshire.  I remember seeing it in the 1960s and have in mind it was built during WWII but can't find anything to substantiate that.  It must have been lifted and built over in the 1980-1990s.  I think there was a head shunt on the Buxton bound side (east) side of the line.  I've copied a map from the National Library of Scotland, permitted usage provided it is credited: http://maps.nls.uk/index.html.  The oil terminal is immediately east of the station.

Peterfgf

attachicon.gifDove Holes NLS 1937-61.jpg

Doves Hole was a large WWII oil storage terminal with underground tanks in the quarry. You can still see the vents for the tanks on GE.

Doves_Hole_Tanks.jpg

There's an excellent article on Albion, Part 1 of 2, in the current Traction Magazine (238, March/April 2017). 

Ah cheers, i'm asking as modelling the area & remember seeing it usually empty & abit run down looking but that was late 90s early naughties from what i can recall as a child. Adds abit more variety to the traffic if its usable 

Ah cheers, i'm asking as modelling the area & remember seeing it usually empty & abit run down looking but that was late 90s early naughties from what i can recall as a child. Adds abit more variety to the traffic if its usable 

I used to work into Albion Oil Terminal, (we always called it a terminal rather than a depot), in the mid-late 80's from Hereford on the trains from Waterston. I did take some photos on a couple of trips and they can be found in an album on Flickr, at the link below.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzAGSEu

Paul J.

Edited to correct some bad grammar.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm a bit late to the topic, but Bramhall was briefly mentioned on page 4 (post #97?).

It was situated on the down side between Bramhall and Poynton and had its own box, 'Bramhall sidings shunting frame' which was an LMR type 15. The actual oil terminal is still in situ but is now served only by road. I think the sidings were out of use by the early 80's with the box being demolished (after lying derelict for many years) in the late 80's/early 90's. I recall seeing some black four-wheeled tanks in there as we passed by on a train, probably in the very early 80's, but that was the only time I ever saw anything close to any rail activity! It is currently shown as being a Conoco-Phillips site.

The box (not my pics).

1142c162e4ac8bff72dfa4e5a6bf9c8e_1390621

dceb2aad388d5b67f6c2881ce24a66cd_1390621

1970's aerial view.

Bssf.jpg

Modern day Google map image.

Bot.jpg

James

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 09/10/2017 at 18:45, Jamesb said:

I'm a bit late to the topic, but Bramhall was briefly mentioned on page 4 (post #97?).

It was situated on the down side between Bramhall and Poynton and had its own box, 'Bramhall sidings shunting frame' which was an LMR type 15. The actual oil terminal is still in situ but is now served only by road. I think the sidings were out of use by the early 80's with the box being demolished (after lying derelict for many years) in the late 80's/early 90's. I recall seeing some black four-wheeled tanks in there as we passed by on a train, probably in the very early 80's, but that was the only time I ever saw anything close to any rail activity! It is currently shown as being a Conoco-Phillips site.

The box (not my pics).

1142c162e4ac8bff72dfa4e5a6bf9c8e_1390621

dceb2aad388d5b67f6c2881ce24a66cd_1390621

1970's aerial view.

Bssf.jpg

Modern day Google map image.

Bot.jpg

James

Here's a picture of the above mentioned box at Bramhall Oil Sidings. It seems quite fancy for something that worked a small number of sidings. Perhaps that was because the sidings were on a busy mainline???

Bramhall Sidings Shunting Frame

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Total Oil (Hunslet East) Leeds Terminal is now demolished and the site cleared.

An insider view of the workings of a large oil terminal, with introduction featuring 

Lindsey Oil Refinery (L.O.R.) Killingholme, a Total/Petrofina project.Total Oil - LOR & Terminals.docxTOGB Terminal Storage.xlsx

Photographs of Total Oil Leeds Terminal including a rare aerial photograph (given to all Total Leeds employees 1970-1972) also appear on a separate entry.

Total Oil Leeds Terminal (3).jpg

Total Oil - LOR & Terminals.docx

Edited by George S
  • Like 1

1345812455_totaloilleedssightplan.jpg.e49798f68242ed2655059f2941200a58.jpg361964801_TotalOilLeedsTerminal(3).jpg.1016366ad4882ca148ea89bcfa2fd1aa.jpgTotal Oil (Hunslet East) Leeds Terminal - now demolished and the site cleared.

The rare aerial photograph of the terminal (given to all Total Oil Leeds employees 1970-1972)  may be of interest to modellers.

See separate posting for an insider view of the workings of a large oil terminal.

Total Oil Leeds Terminal (2).jpg

Total Oil Leeds Terminal.jpg

Edited by George S
To add aerial photo of terminal
  • Like 1

On 04/05/2020 at 19:41, montyburns56 said:

Here's a picture of the above mentioned box at Bramhall Oil Sidings. It seems quite fancy for something that worked a small number of sidings. Perhaps that was because the sidings were on a busy mainline???

Bramhall Sidings Shunting Frame

All those times I have been past that site on expresses and never once noted it, but from Google you can clearly see where they were.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Shed said:

Lots of activity at Midland Road in Peterborough cutting up the old pipes and digging the rails out

Yep, they are extending the car park, so the old oil terminal will be gone very shortly. 

i work in the power box and they are making rather alot of noise. 

• Agree 1