Any info for Weymouth quay railway ?

The Shunters Truck is on Page 112 of the same book. The caption says ~ ' Plate 187 A 'shunters' runner had no part bo play on the tramway and it was most unusual to see one there. On 30th April 1960,No 7782 was switched from yard shunting at very short notice and did not wait to detach it the runner'.

With my late father peering back over the bunker, both he and Ellis looking mildly bemused. When he saw the photo he had no recollection as to why though mused a booked loco might have "fallen down" somewhere.

The Brake Van is unusual but there's one possible explanation. During the 60's when the fruit+veg traffic was at it's height the Tram was hard pushed to cope at times so vans would be loaded and taken away for checking and making up into appropriate rakes. For a time Portland was used for this and occasionally even Upwey, it relieved pressure on Weymouth Goods so a Brake would have been needed.

RE Books there a small A5 sized book from the Dorset transport Circle by Colin Caddy called the Weymouth Quay Tramway. Mainly photos quite a few well known but equally some rarer ones. Of particular interest to me a couple of the 15XXX 350hp shunters showing clearly they were air braked, something the experts seemed to have overlooked.

HTH

Stu

I wrote an article on the subject of the Weymouth Harbour  Tramway giving a concise history and traffic workings  together with illustrations. It would  be a great aid to  any modeller considering a layout  based on it, or to any member interested in the  subject.

This was published  some years ago in BackTrack. But as I am writing this away from home (I'm currently in Montana) I can't give you the date.. 

I shall post it when I return home toward the end of next week.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can see, I don't appear to have contributed to this thread before, so here are my Dad's photos from around 1960.

I don't know whether they answer any of your questions or show anyone you know, but they may add to your picture of the line.

I think that the 'walking pace' may have been exceeded - at least two of the photos appear to have the flag-man riding on the front step!

post-14351-0-05985700-1463352734_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-60588600-1463352744_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-34969000-1463352771_thumb.jpg

post-14351-0-43403600-1463352787_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 11

• 4 years later...
On 14/01/2021 at 19:07, PhilJ W said:

Some people still think it should have been rebuilt and re-opened, why? It was built to serve a ferry service that no longer runs and there is now no reason or need for the line.

Sadly there are still too many of the "It MUST be saved" mentality about - ask them who should be liable for maintenance, insurance liability etc. and it all goes quiet, except oftentimes for howls of "You're no TRUE railfan" etc...

Mark

• Agree 2