The Sheaf Valley Railway

olliereading1123

The Sheaf Valley Railway is a small fictional preserved railway in south Yorkshire. I am building this with a course mate and we have each decided to model one Terminus each. My end of the layout measures 11’ x 1’ and can either be mounted table top or on its own set of legs. The layout is run using DCC and uses the basic Hornby Select controllers at the moment but this will be upgraded to the Bachmann Dynamis. Below is the original trackplan:

TrackPlan.jpg

I decided to expand the layout and the current plan is this:

TrackPlanExtension-2.jpg

My station is called Leadmill General, this has a scenic section of 8’ x 1’. This is classed as the main station on the line as it is where the loco depot, carriage shed and carriage &wagon works are based. There is a terminus which can hold a 3 coach train in the main platform and a 2-car DMU in the bay so allsorts can be seen departing north up the line. This is more of the scenic end of the line being located within the sheaf valley itself. All track is Peco Code 55 and points are electrically controlled through the probe and stud mechanism.

And here’s a few pics of the layout as it developed:

SDC12583.jpg

SDC12584.jpg

SDC12586.jpg

SDC12667.jpg

SDC12693.jpg

SDC12694.jpg

SDC12696.jpg

SDC12699.jpg

SDC12700.jpg

SDC12789.jpg

SDC12799.jpg

SDC12802.jpg

SDC12804.jpg

SDC12803.jpg

SDC12807.jpg

SDC12818.jpg

SDC12819.jpg

SDC12820.jpg

SDC12821.jpg

SDC12822.jpg

SDC12854.jpg SDC12855.jpg

SDC12856.jpg

SDC12857.jpg

Layout1.jpg

Layout3.jpg

SDC13000.jpg

SDC13001.jpg SDC12999.jpg

SDC12998.jpg

SDC12995.jpg

SDC12994.jpg

This is the current state of the layout

SDC13002.jpg

SDC13003.jpg

I have a deadline to work to as the layout is booked to appear at Winfield’s exhibition at Bakewell in early June.

Any questions then please ask away

Ollie

Hi Ollie,

Very pretty layout, great attention to detail and very evocative of a preserved line! Wish I had enough room in my uni digs to build a layout, but I struggle to fit all my clothes and books in this room of mine. Have to wait until I go home to do any layout building!

Are the two termini going to fit together, or with a fiddle yard section in the middle?

Keep up the good modelling

Matt

Hi Ollie,

Very pretty layout, great attention to detail and very evocative of a preserved line! Wish I had enough room in my uni digs to build a layout, but I struggle to fit all my clothes and books in this room of mine. Have to wait until I go home to do any layout building!

Are the two termini going to fit together, or with a fiddle yard section in the middle?

Keep up the good modelling

Matt

We are undecided at the current time, the original plan was to join them but my mate changed his mind. It is most likely that we will just do them as seperate layouts.

Ollie

Hi Ollie thought it seemed familiar must have seen it in Model Rail or on another forum. Looking good. You have finished Uni very early haven't you?

Very early lol, i'm on a new course (Railway Technology) so the Uni has yet to decide a seperate course for us (we have been teaming up with part-timers)

Ollie

Looks good! Is all the track on the flat, with the embankment built up around it?

If so it's a very good job and hard to tell! :)

Also, by way of compliment, could I get a copy of your xtrkcad plan? I would like to give a slightly tweaked version a go as something I might actually get finished for once! ;)

Looks good! Is all the track on the flat, with the embankment built up around it?

If so it's a very good job and hard to tell! :)

Also, by way of compliment, could I get a copy of your xtrkcad plan? I would like to give a slightly tweaked version a go as something I might actually get finished for once! ;)

All the track is on the flat, i didn't want to mess around with gradients. And hence all the embankments are built around them.

Ollie

Very early lol, i'm on a new course (Railway Technology) so the Uni has yet to decide a seperate course for us (we have been teaming up with part-timers)

Ollie

We are on a seprate course, we just share lectures.

• 1 month later...

Well there is good news and bad news.

The good being that Sheaf Valley is just under 2 weeks from it's exhibition debut at Bakewell. The bad is that the layout hasn't progressed much since the last update! I really have my work cut out if i'm gonna be in a presentable state!!

This is a shot taken the other week showing the layout from the operating side:

SDC13167.jpg

The final update is of my hawksworth inspection saloon, last time this was mentioned it looked like this:

SDC12827.jpg

But since getting back from Uni i have been back at club and a fellow club member offered to build the kit for me. I have since painted the majority of it and this is how it looks now:

SDC13189.jpg

SDC13188.jpg

SDC13190.jpg

I will be posting updates as and when i get work done so expect alot in the next two weeks

Ollie

Hello all once again.

Small update to keep ya'll going. First i've had a better control board made which also acts as the base for the dynamis:

SDC13203.jpg

I spent alot of today painting the rail sides:

SDC13205.jpg

And here is an overall shot:

SDC13204.jpg

I didn't get as much work done as would have liked today as i had a misshap which involed a trip to A&E and my thumb now bandaged up!

Anyway expect more!

Ollie

• 9 months later...

Afternoon all, well it's been over 9 months since i posted in the thread. Needless to say a fair few thing have happened, and here's 9 months worth of posts! (I've copied these from my thread on another forum so they are in present tense! lol)

07 June 2011

Afternoon Everyone!

Only 4 days left to go!!! Which means 3 days to get finished, thankfully i have been granted access to my clubroom when i need it so last night me and my mate Joe (Not the same Joe who came up with the name), who is giving me a hand at wiring the layout up, were at the club till gone midnight striping the wiring off the station board and then re-wiring to the new control board.

This is the older wiring job on the station board
SDC13244.jpg

And this is after the re-wire
SDC13245.jpg

This is how the control board looks at the momment, the second board will be wired up this evening
SDC13246.jpg

The inside
SDC13248.jpg

We are spending another late night at club tonight in which we will be wiring up the second board and cracking on with the scenery. I am actually starting to think i can get this finished intime for the weekend now

Anything you wish to know/say please feel free to speak up :)

Ollie

08 June 2011

onto the results of todays work. The second board now has all the points wired up and operational!
SDC13256.jpg
SDC13255.jpg

I have done a bit more on the cutting too
SDC13253.jpg

I have made the final hill too, adds a bit more green to the station. Also i have spent about 2 hours getting all the ballast done! i just hope the points still work!!
SDC13257.jpg
SDC13258.jpg
SDC13259.jpg

Now tomorrow will be the last day i will be working on the layout so it'll be testing and odds and sods lol

Ollie

09 June 2011

Hello once again,

Well it's ready for show or to be more specific, it's passable for show lol. By this i mean it's got the basic scenery complete and only the station/passing loop is currently working!
SDC13262.jpg
SDC13264.jpg

Here is a side on view (it's not the best quality)
SDC13263.jpg

And a few shots of details (including Geoff the trainspotter)
SDC13265.jpg
SDC13266.jpg

Let's just hope it survives the exhibition!

Ollie

10/11 June 2011 - Attended Wingfield Exhibition at Bakewell. First ever show!

13 June 2011
Well it survived!

Amazingly i had no problems with the layout at the weekend (well we didn't get the loco shed working in time but ho hum). Was a very good show and the layout seemed to generate alot of interest, i even got asked to another show

Anyways, here is a pic before the show opened
SDC13268.jpg

And a view down the layout
SDC13269.jpg

21 July 2011

Evening all!

First of all i'll apologise for the lack of updates as of late, had a fair bit of work on. Next some good news I now have my new place for my next year of Uni, so naturally SVR was the first item to be moved in.
SDC13436.jpg

As you can see there is a fair amount of room (enough for SVR and my house/coursemates layout) so this has already been designated as the train room.

The layout itself, well i've replaced part of the platform and thats about it. I'll bring you updates as and when...

Ollie

03 September 2011

At last i have a picture related update for you!!

I'm going to start with exhibitions, this time next week Sheaf will be at it's second exhibition (Glossop) so feel free to come say hello (If you're not at the N Gauge Show of course )

Now onto my Hawskworth Inspection Saloon, since i last mentioned it i have painted the roof Grey, glazed it, finished off the chocolate colour, painted the interior walls and added some basic interior. Just needs a few people and some decals to finish it off
SDC13682.jpg

More trees have appeared
SDC13680.jpg
SDC13681.jpg

I've been adding a few little details too, mainly ground signals and hand point levers
SDC13686.jpg
SDC13685.jpg

This is just a random shot of the shed added for fun
SDC13683.jpg

I've also finally added the platform edging to the platforms, makes one hell of an improvement..
SDC13688.jpg

And i'll end with a shot of the whole layout
SDC13689.jpg

So was it worth the wait?

Ollie

10/11 September - Glossop Exhibition - Second Show

Evening all!

I'll start off with a very big grin :D How chuffed am i at the TINGs annuncements!!
Lets start with the NGS LMS Inspection Saloon, I can certainly see a couple arriving on Sheaf next year Thankfully i have a GWR one so we'll have a bit of variety
On to Dapol and their Working Semaphores. I think i'll have to be saying goodbye to the current non-working ratio signals in favour of the working alternative, it'll also allow me to have Upper Quadrant instead of the current GWR Lower Quadrant (Not very south Yorkshire...)
I've also heard that the Farish A1 was released this weekend so i can imagine a Tornado gracing Sheaf Valley Rails in the next few weeks (Depending upon me getting my possible new job [at Rails of Shefff])

Anyway onto the layout itself, sadly i couldn't attend TINGs as Sheaf is currently being exhibited at the Glossop Model Railway Show for the weekend. And for the first time it has performed faultlessly (for today at least lol)

Here are a few pics of the layout just before the show opened
SDC13696.jpg
SDC13698.jpg
SDC13699.jpg

Oh and a bit of self advertising
SDC13697.jpg

Lets hope it still works tomorrow!

Ollie

07 October 2011

Evening All,

To start with a few random pics,

37 'on shed' (which is still not finished!)
SDC13744.jpg

Mayflower draws past the carriage shed (It's a thomas event!)
SDC13745.jpg
SDC13746.jpg

Now onto a few updates. First is i've finally got some more glue so i can resume construction of the shed , pics to follow as and when.

Next i've bought some peeps to go on the platform as they are looking a tad bare!
SDC13747.jpg

And on the topic of people i've been populating coaches again, and also my green 108 (inc Driver)
SDC13753.jpg
SDC13754.jpg

My Inspection Saloon now has a few transfers on to bring her to life a bit
SDC13758.jpg

I've recently bought a few 1/144 plastic kits to have a play with and as my paint arrived today i've got one of them finished off (minus canopy) Everyone builds a spitfire at somepoint, Lancaster and Messerschmitt will follow.
SDC13761.jpg

Now the bigger news, i have decided to re-do the loco shed area as i didn't like the concrete effect. This is the how it looks right now.
SDC13763.jpg

To finish with, its' the Dapol open day tomorrow so i've spoken to a friend who's going to hopefully pick up some bargains for me. And as i may know already what Dapol are or may not be announcing i'm not saying any more

Ollie

10 November 2011

Evening all!

To start of with i have good news! Sheaf has been booked to appear in it's third exhibition This being the New Mills and District Railway Modellers exhibition to be held 25th/26th February 2012. I hope to see you all there!

Next onto some new additions, i recently picked up the new Farish Digital Commuter set so i have a new Digital 24 and some more maroon MK1's to add to my growing MK1 collection.
SDC13887.jpg

Speaking of MK1's i have also got hold of some more green ones for a decent price.
SDC13890.jpg

I've also increased my wagon fleet with these two new Private Owner wagons, local to Sheffield of course.
SDC13889.jpg

And this is the reason for the lack of updates on the layout itself, currently 'in store' whilst the living room is being used for other projects.
SDC13886.jpg

That's all for now!

Ollie

03 January 2012

Hello all!

Apologies for the lack of updates. Been busy building a layout for someone on another forum so had alot of my time spent doing that. This has been completed so it means as of next week Sheaf will be back! And with it's exhibition at Chapel En-le-Frith just over 7 weeks away i have a few things i want to get sorted so expect many updates! I've got many things planned for the layout including:
-Fitting of Dapol Magnets/Couplings
-Re-Ballast of the entire thing (Don't like how it currently is)
-Addition of Dapol Signals
-Construction of a Lighting rig

Oh i nearly forgot i've also got Sheaf booked in for it's fourth show It's in September and is easily the show i most wanted to get into, none other than.....

..The International N Gauge Show!!!! So yeah not bad for what currently will be it's fourth outing!

06 January 2012

Anyways i thought i'd provide some proof that Sheaf does still exist
SDC14018.jpg
As you can see it's very cluttered owing to work i'm planning on doing.

I never put a pic up but this lovely item arrived before Christmas, very nice indeed!
SDC14024.jpg

And of course my Christmas Money went on locos and i picked up the following:
SDC14023.jpg

And...
width=600 height=450http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/olliereading1123/N%20Gauge/SDC14025.jpg[/img]

Now to get chipping these and get cracking with the layout!

Ollie

See more in next post....

Part 2....

07 January 2012

MAJOR DEVELOPMENTS ON SHEAF VALLEY RAILWAY

As mentioned a few days ago i am planning to re-ballast the track. After assessment i found the easiest way to do this is to lift the currently laid track. I thought i'd do it a board at a time so it still looks like i have part of a layout lol. Anyways this is what i've been doing for the past several hours:
SDC14026.jpg

I've also had a thought, if i replace two of the points around the signal box with a double slip then i can arrive into either platform and the depot head-shunt from the main:
SDC14027.jpg

I'll also be adding magnets for the Dapol couplings for remote uncoupling as i believe i've found a way to hide them and still have them work efficiently :D

Ollie

12 January 2012

Update on Sheaf Valley's Winter Maintenance[/color][/size]

Hello all, the re-laying work is continuing at a reasonable pace. This is how the station board was looking earlier in the week
SDC14038.jpg
You may notice in this i have decided not to add a double slip, this is because it was cheaper to buy a standard point and it'd give me a longer run-around.

A little shopping trip on Monday to Rails, Antics and Sheffield Transport models meant i had the following bits to play with
SDC14039.jpg

So after a few hours work the new track was starting to take shape
SDC14040.jpg

And this is where i got up to
SDC14041.jpg

I did come across one problem, i 'forgot' to take note of where the track left the board so i had the following issue
SDC14042.jpg

This of course led me to taking up the track on the C&W works board earlier than i planned, but on the plus side it's made me re-think the layout of the yard and it is quite possible a lovely new loco shed may be arriving within the next few weeks. So as of 10am today the whole layout looks like this
SDC14045.jpg

So i best crack on with things!

Ollie

19 January 2012

Evening all!

Work is continuing and i now have the main running line laid
SDC14100.jpg

Further progress will be delayed a few days as i'm waiting for this lovely loco shed to come from Jeff0052
Stand14th15th007.jpg
Stand14th15th003.jpg

More to come soon! :D

Ollie

27 January 2012

It's Update Time! :D

with just over 4 weeks until show i've got my work cut out! But things are progressing and this is an overview so far
SDC14102.jpg

This is the new shed, as you can see i have made the depot three lines instead of the 4 it was as i felt it was a bit crammed in before.
SDC14103.jpg

The Carriage shed is exactly where it was before but the track on this board will be slightly altered too
SDC14104.jpg

Scenery wise i picked these Ugly things up the other day
SDC14105.jpg

Oh and talking of 'Ugly' things i may have bought a new loco...
SDC14109.jpg

....And 6 GBRf Hoppers to go with it
SDC14108.jpg

And a general shot of Geoff's Corner showing the Telegraph poles
SDC14107.jpg

More to come later!

Ollie

27 January 2012

It (Re-)Lives!

I've spent the afternoon re-wiring the station board and amazingly it worked first time! (Well apart from 1 point which needs a clean!) This gives an idea of what things used to look like
SDC14110.jpg

Oh and i got the first loco line laid too.
SDC14145.jpg

Ollie

31 January 2012

Anyway on to today's update, We're Making Progress!!

All the track has be re-laid, re-wired and tested so now Sheaf is back in one piece as a technically working layout :D
SDC14216.jpg

And these two show the new 'track plans' for the yards.
SDC14217.jpg
SDC14218.jpg

So the rest of tonight will be a Testing session then ballasting can begin! :D

Ollie

02 February 2012

Ballasting has begun! :D

I've got the ballast down on the mainline from the fiddle yard to just past the carriage shed.
SDC14220.jpg
SDC14222.jpg

I should hopefully get the ballast into the platforms done tomorrow evening and then the layout will be starting to look more complete lol

Ollie

04 February 2012

Evening all,

Not much to report today, but i guess regular small updates are better than none at all!

The ballasting has been put on hold as i've decided to make the most of the new layout by extending the platform slightly, also the signal box will now be a platform box. This is the new section in position but not fully secure/blended in.
SDC14227.jpg

With a few days off work i should get a bit of layout work done, this may also be helped by the way the Weather is going...
SDC14226.jpg

Ollie

08 February 2012

Evening all!

Ballasting is continuing and i now have some of the platform lines ballasted up (the middle section here is dry, the far ends have just bee glued)
SDC14228.jpg

Also can you spot the magnet(s)? With ballast over the top they are fully hidden and still work fine
SDC14229.jpg

Ollie

18 February 2012

Evening all,

Well with less than a week to go until the exhibition i've got my work cut out! Things have been progressing slowly due to doing extra shifts at work but i do have a couple of pics to keep you entertained.

This shows the main state of the loco shed, with a full day of layout work tomorrow i hope to get this looking a little less bare..(Oh, can you spot my bargain Warship? £55 at the Donny show  )
SDC14232.jpg

And a small loco update, i picked up some transfers at work today and i renumbered one of my black 5's. I know it's not perfect but pretty good for a first attempt
SDC14231.jpg

All being well i should have some more for ya tomorrow...

Ollie

19 February 2012

I've been doing a bit of ballasting and hard standing so far today, with a bit more to come later (part 2 should be on this evening)
Here are several shots showing the layout so far:
SDC14233.jpg
SDC14234.jpg
SDC14235.jpg
SDC14236.jpg

Just a quick one to show that the hard standing is now complete (well for this exhibition anyway) and some more ballast has been put down
SDC14253.jpg

Ollie

20 February 2012.

I've been playing with my Modroc

Tonight i've got the new mound made around the yard, this is currently drying but come morning it'll have the base coat of brown.
SDC14254.jpg
SDC14255.jpg

Amazingly with this covering a lot of bare board it makes the layout seem less unfinished in an instant!

Ollie

21 February 2012

Work continues!

With the exhibition getting ever closer all my spare time is being put into the layout. Tonight i've got the hill's painted (Maunsell Green) and got the majority of the ballast in this yard done.
SDC14256.jpg

Also painted and scattered a random patch down by the carriage shed.
SDC14257.jpg

Tomorrow is my day off, and last full day of working on the layout. So it'll be full systems go, leaving Thursday evening to have a massive test session!

Ollie

22 February 2012

Well it's pretty much done, apart from testing and adding a few tiny details.
SDC14260.jpg
SDC14258.jpg

A pic to show what the layout will look like at the show (including the new curtain)
SDC14261.jpg

Ollie

25/26 February 2012 - New Mills & District Show - Third Show

Well this has been one enjoyable weekend. The layout ran very well (well apart from the depot which we didn't bother using) and got invites to some more shows! Here are a few snaps from the weekend(Showing JC92, my co-operator:
SDC14274.jpg
SDC14276.jpg
SDC14277.jpg
SDC14281.jpg

The layout will be stored for a few week now as i've got a couple of layouts to do which i've been asked to build.

Ollie

17 March 2012

Evening all,

First of all Sheaf has come out of store earlier than expected! A customer at work does photography at college and the theme for his current assignment is Hobbies, it told him about Sheaf and tomorrow it's being photographed and used as a basis for his college report!

So Sheaf is up for one day only, then i'll have to take it back down so i can finish off a layout i'm building for someone.

I've also been having a re-think about the layout. One thing that has been bugging me for a while is the Fiddle Yard. As it was done before the re-build it isn't really suitable in terms of operational interest. This is how it looks at the moment:
OldFiddleYard.jpg

The long road holds a 3 coach passenger plus loco with a bit to spare.
Next road has either a small freight of 'local' passenger.
Lane 3 is the Shuttle line so holds a 2-car DMU or Autotrain.
The short line plus two small sidings have extra locos which 'release' whatever has come into lane 1.

So whilst it can fit a fair amount for a small layout it means stock is re-appearing on the layout every 15 mins or so and the only was to alter it is by manually swapping the stock. (Also lane 2 isn't long enough to release a loco without blocking the points or having a very short train in tow)

I've got a spare piece of 4x1 ply hanging around which i will be using for a new fiddle yard. So this means it'll be longer and wider which equals more stock room. I have the following as a first idea:
NewFiddleYard-1.jpg

Essentially it's a longer version of the old one but has 3 more lanes.

The Middle 3 will be for Passenger trains.
Next one either side will be for Freight/Special (TPO, Dining etc) trains.
One set of smaller sidings will be for shuttles
The other will be for the loco release.

So expect some pics in the near future!

Ollie

Well that brings this thread up to date. Hopefully there's enough there to have kept you interested!

Ollie

• 1 year later...

Hello all! It would appear i have neglected posting any updates on this thread for a fair few months!! Over this time the layout has had many changes which would take an age to post about so instead i've got some pictures of the shows i've been at. Sheaf has attended the following shows since i last updated this thread:

International N Gauge Show - September 2012

SDC15409.jpg

Bradford - May 2013

SDC15858.jpg

Leyland - August 2013

999415_10200341311436734_778948026_n.jpg

And i am scheduled to appear at the following shows this year:

Model Rail Live - September 21/22

Sheffield - October 12

Hazel Grove - October 26/27

Retford - November 16/17

Any questions, feel free to ask :)