Amazing What You Find When You Walk Disused Railway Lines

This is a long gone line, and i am not sure what the guys are going to do with the stock as 200yds one way the trackbed is blocked by a nature reserve type pond and 200yds the other way the bridge over the main road is very unsafe and probably would not even hold the weight of a person as it is very rusty indeed and fenced off.

Waiting for HS2 perhaps ;)

• RMweb Gold

Why all the secrecy about the location?? Its not as if you stumbled upon the strategic reserve! Its just some preserved stock. Very good that it has been preserved but just like all the other preserved stock in the world.

According to This link it was sold to an unknown preservation group.

Why all the secrecy about the location?? Its not as if you stumbled upon the strategic reserve! Its just some preserved stock. Very good that it has been preserved but just like all the other preserved stock in the world.

Because i was asked not to disclose it

Thanks John. That explains why you won't say, but still does not explain why all the secrecy.

Not sure Colin, the guy i spoke to seemed to think it is a collection from one person who has paid for it all ( but of course he may be wrong )

I think they had some vandalism from local idiots so don' t want to announce anything until he/they are ready.

It just seems strange that this stock is situated in a old station site but cannot run the stock anywhere as the trackbed is unusable in both directions.

Maybe it will just become a small railway museum.

• RMweb Premium

I quite understand about the secrecy. The group that I'm involved with that's restoring a Horse tram keep the exact location quiet for the same reason as we are only there 1 day a week.

I hope that the Mods are watchinbg this in case there is any specualtion as to the location.

Jamie

Unfortunately by posting the pictures on here you have already been given the loction has away thanks to a one minute search that anyone can do on google.

You could have at least edited the loco/unit numbers out of the pictures if you realy felt it was necesary to post it. :unsure:

Just as a test, as I'm in the USA I found the location in about 5 seconds from Google. Not only did it give the precise geographical location but it also told me what other stock was located there in great detail.

Best, Pete.

Whilst respecting the request not to disguise the location, it has been featured often in magazines etc. Can I suggest the following related websites for any preservation enquiries too?

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PreservedRailwayStockList/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PreservedRailwayStockList/

http://www.uklocos.com/

Stewart

ps I haven't checked to see if these items are listed yet!

I am sure it can be found quite easily, in fact there is a thread on another UK rail Forum.

I did not put the location on the thread as i was asked not to. Simple as that

This thread was started so that lke minded enthisiasts could see what i had found on one of my many ramblings.

• RMweb Premium

It just seems strange that this stock is situated in a old station site but cannot run the stock anywhere as the trackbed is unusable in both directions.

Maybe it will just become a small railway museum.

An Inglenook in 12 inch to 1 foot scale maybe? <_<

Just as a test, as I'm in the USA I found the location in about 5 seconds from Google. Not only did it give the precise geographical location but it also told me what other stock was located there in great detail.

Best, Pete.

It took me about a minute to locate it and another thirty seconds to look at the site on Google Earth- photographed when the site was empty- . I must be slowing down.

There used to be an equivalent collection on a station site in Normandy but they had a large dog !!

Very interesting indeed - and confusing. Is the red coach in the 6th picture of Bulleid design?

It looks like one of the deicing trailers that were converted from Bullied SUB trailers (the ones that ran with pre-war wooden bodied units until about 1960). I thought they'd all been scrapped......

Are we allowed to ask how long the stuff's been there? I recently saw a class 73 at Derby and since I have been passing through Derby (last 2 years or so) there has usually been some converted southern electric stock in the blue/green livery. I'm just wondering if it is that stock?

Not sure, as i stated earlier i drove past the site about 6-7 months ago and i saw the units then.

Love the chunky AEC Militant - looks a right beast! Was it an ex MOD wrecker?

Paul

I remember seeing one of these at Chiswick/Acton works (London Transport) but can't remember whether it was on the Bus or Underground works.

It was about 42 years ago so memory is a bit fuzzy :blink:

Archived