Waverley passenger train formations and diagrams

DaveArkley

Hi

I don't know if this has been asked before but I can't find any info on this site.

What was the formation of the last train?  Obviously 60 Lytham St Annes at the front with I, believe from photos, a single BG at the rear.   What was in between and was it lengthened for the last run?

Norman

• RMweb Premium

Derbysulzers says "The last scheduled train, the 1M82 21.55 Edinburgh - St. Pancras, with eight coaches and two sleepers was handled by Class 45 No.60."

I don't know what the usual formation was though.

EDIT: found the train in the 1968-9 PTM book

Screenshot_20200823-145355.png.8ce34c64a93b64b1abc7fa07d28c6cab.png

(Courtesy Robert Carroll's Coaching Stock io.group

https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main )

So it would seem to have had 3 extra coaches, possibly just 3 x SK?

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere already.  In the late 50s / early 60s the Waverley had a summer-Saturday relief working between Edinburgh and Leeds or Sheffield (depending on the year), departing Edinburgh about 15 minutes ahead of the main train.  It was important enough to advertise in the public timetable.

In the various years I have checked (1955, 1961, 1962, 1963) there does not appear to be a corresponding northbound relief train.  Is it known if this was in fact the case (i.e. an unbalanced working) or was the northbound train simply unadvertised, or something else that I’ve missed?  It seems a bit odd that the Waverley would require relief in one direction only.

(I do notice in 1962 the northbound sleeper has a booked relief train, was this perhaps it?)