Torrington Mk 1 and Torrington Mk 2

darren01

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for bringing this across from the old RMWeb - it was one of my faves! If my 2010 Challenge layout fulfills my hopes, I will have a "Torrington bay" into which the occasional branch train will run. In my era (Pre/Post WWII)the branch engine was an E1/R, provision of which may prove a stumbling block - so an M7 may have to take its place. Please continue to inspire me with your photos and updates!

Hi Darren01,

Thats a great layout you have there, I'm particually inspired by the great amount and variety of detail in your signal box, it is absolutely superb, this could well be worth an article in its own right.

Well done, I look forward to further updates.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for bringing this across from the old RMWeb - it was one of my faves! If my 2010 Challenge layout fulfills my hopes, I will have a "Torrington bay" into which the occasional branch train will run. In my era (Pre/Post WWII)the branch engine was an E1/R, provision of which may prove a stumbling block - so an M7 may have to take its place. Please continue to inspire me with your photos and updates!

I quite agree, Torrington was one of my favourites on the old site. The Southern in the West Country is of particular interest, and I can't remember ever seeing Torrington modelled before.

Regarding the E1/R, the South Eastern Finecast kit is a fairly straghtforward build, in whitemetal with an etched chassis. I've added some details of the chassis to my Southern Locos thread:

http://www.rmweb.co....__0entry28355

Ok, its not a "work in progress" description, but theres really not much to tell. I replaced the motor, gearbox, and coupling-rods, but that was about it

All the best,

Dave.T

• RMweb Gold

Regarding the E1/R, the South Eastern Finecast kit is a fairly straghtforward build, in whitemetal with an etched chassis. I've added some details of the chassis to my Southern Locos thread:

Ok, its not a "work in progress" description, but theres really not much to tell. I replaced the motor, gearbox, and coupling-rods, but that was about it

Sorry for hijacking your fine thread Darren! Yes, the E1/R chassis looks very good - but then your able work further up the page makes it clear you know what you're doing! I'll reserve judgement until my Challenge entry has taken off fully - then consider whether I dare risk it! The real problem is the fine level of detail and finish on the current crop of North Cornwall RTR, and I have no history of completing a Wills kit - sorry SE Finecast - to my own satisfaction! Since the E1/R would be a bit player on my layout - appearing from "Torrington", running round its BCK and toddling back to "Torrington" - an e-bay M7 would be a bit more sensible, perhaps.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for to all of you for the time i have had my layout on here.

Darren

Darren

I am bound to infer, since you have chosen to abruptly remove your excellent layout from this site, that there has been a problem with other forum members or something of that sort. I hope you have brought that problem to the attention of Andy Y or the Mods, so that either they may be able to undo whatever the problem has been, or at least learn from your lesson, and ensure no other contributor suffers whatever has befallen you.

This site needs layouts of the quality of Torrington, and I am sorry you have found it necessary to leave. Please come back!

kind regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry i have removed my layout from this site.

Darren

Just caught up with this one, sorry for being a bit late, and the question is WHY, Torrington was promising to be one of the best on the forum. Perhaps it's also time to bump this back into members attention, and if Darren can't be persuaded to change his mind then good luck.

HI all

Just to explain why I removed Torrington from this site, when I started Torrington on the old site, I had lots of photos of it under construction, but when we moved over to the new RM web I could not get the photos off the old site.

And as I do not have them on my PC anymore, I was not happy with the way it was laid out; in my opinion it was a mess.

I am still working on the layout, as I am now making the layout much bigger, 35 feet long.

I will be bring Torrington back ,but I want to lay it out a lot better ,better lighting for the photo??™s and more info on the back ground to the history of Torrington and a lot more on how I went about building the layout .

Just to put things straight ,no one has up set me on here ,far from it ,Torrington would never had got this far with out the help from all of you in the first place !.

It was just the way it was laid out, poor photos, badly presented that all.

So in the New Year I will put Torrington back on to the RM web again.

I would like to thank you all for your help and kind comments over the time I have been on the RM web.

See you all in the New Year!

All the very best

Darren biggrin.gif

• RMweb Gold

Just to explain why I removed Torrington from this site, when I started Torrington on the old site, I had lots of photos of it under construction, but when we moved over to the new RM web I could not get the photos off the old site.

And as I do not have them on my PC anymore, I was not happy with the way it was laid out; in my opinion it was a mess.

I am still working on the layout, as I am now making the layout much bigger, 35 feet long.

I will be bring Torrington back ,but I want to lay it out a lot better ,better lighting for the photo??™s and more info on the back ground to the history of Torrington and a lot more on how I went about building the layout .

Just to put things straight ,no one has up set me on here ,far from it ,Torrington would never had got this far with out the help from all of you in the first place !.

It was just the way it was laid out, poor photos, badly presented that all.

So in the New Year I will put Torrington back on to the RM web again.

Darren

Your quest for an even better Torrington is a thrilling prospect for all of us who appreciated the original. Andy Y and Martin Wynne can help you transfer the pics of the first layout to the new RMWeb - it's worked for many others, and if, like me, you do not feel very confident about doing it yourself I'm sure they'd help out.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Sorry about no up date on the layout ,have been trying to up load the photo's ,but due to on going problem with the site ,i could not get the photo's to up load.

I will try again in a day or so.

All the best

Darren

How Torrington came about.

I moved to Devon just over 3 years ago and was lucky to find a house that had a room that was big enough to have a layout.

For years I wanted to build a model railway, but never had the room or time to do one, I spent some years playing around with Trainz on my pc.

When I moved into my new house, I set about looking at lots of different lines in books, but I could not find anything that would fit.

One after noon I was in Torrington and saw that Torrington museum was open, having some time to kill I wondered in, looked at old farm equipment and photo??™s of Torrington over the years ,until I came across one glass cabinet !.

Within this cabinet was photo??™s of Torrington Station and the original track plan! Dated SR 1935.

Well that was it, I had found what I was looking for, and next I went off to the library.

Here I found a book called Lines to Torrington (This book I had out of the library for over a year)

This book had a track plan and signal diagram and photo??™s of the building that where their.

Torrington had every thing I was looking for in a model railway, a nice amount of passenger traffic and goods, especially the milk traffic.

I spent a few months working out how I was going to lay Torrington out and getting as much back ground info I could find, I even found a set of post cards in the post office that had a lot of photo??™s of Torrington station.

I need some wood

I ordered the wood, so I could make a start on building the base boards, all the base boards are made on 9mm ply, with 2 by 1 frames.

I made the legs 40 inch high, as I did not want to have to bend over when working on the layout and when sitting down, you get good eye level with the locos.

The layout is made from 3 boards, 4 - 2 feet and one board 3 ?? feet long , I put aliment dowels in when I was building it so I could take it apart and work on each board on it??™s side ,this made putting the wiring in a lot easer .

Track

All the track work is code 75, which I laid down using drawing pins, as I could move the track around until it looked right.

Once I had the track down I started work on all the wiring for the layout, this is one area I wanted to keep it very simple ,my first attempt blow my controller up ! .Doha!

Once the track was down I tested it for over a month, before I even put any ballast down, just to make sure all was working as it should, I did have to rearrange a few things and I did add some more isolators in

Once I was happy with it I then ballasted the track ,for the running lines I use N gauge Ballast and for the yards and shed areas I use yard ash from C+L , in the shed area I mixed in with the yard ash ,ash from my coal fire .

The track was down;

Next I will tell you how I went about doing the buildings for Torrington.

Until then keep on modelling

All the very best

Darren

Archived