For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

2012 Module Standards

Stubby47

25 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the standards are detailed enough ?

2. 2. What Code of rail should be used ?

• Code 100
    • Code 75 / or equivalent

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Well spotted! Without being too simplistic, as long as standard 4mm stock will run through, then the end holes and bridge clearances should be as big as you would normally make them.

Again, as the modules don't actually connect, there is no need to be exactly to any one size.

I will dig out the CRM/YMR clearance guides and add them to the first post and the downloadable pdf.

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

No, there are no forms or secret handshakes. As long as you're happy with the standards, jump in and make a start.

If you want to show what you're doing, you can also start a new thread in the SWAG Module sub-forum.

And of course, if you have any questions, please ask.

Welcome aboard !

Stu

• RMweb Gold

I might be missing something (blame it in my age if I am) but I can't find a dimension for the overall depth of the hole at the end where the track passes into/out of the module, or indeed a stipulation for minimum overbridge clearances.

These are the dimensions for the module exit/entrance holes.

post-7025-0-31055900-1303810127_thumb.gif

Picture courtesy Martin Hale

A drawing of the bridges for the visualisationally challenged?

This was the original design of the bridges - it was deemed un-necessary to add the two bridge walls. I just used two 4" pieces of track, with a piece of foam baord stuck underneath. There is no other support for the bridges than the fishplates. It was thought that cable ties could be used to hold the two modules together, but in practice the weight of the modules proved to be enough to keep the bridges held in place.

post-7025-0-47883500-1303810206_thumb.gif

Picture courtesy Martin Hale

Hope these help.

Stu

Edited to improve some awful spelling mistakes...:huh:

That's great. I will be making a module after spring bank holiday. Metric measurements would help those of us who were never taught "proper" weights and measures.

Is it ok to make the front an embankment? Keeping the track height correct but using an open frame construction, making the front rail smaller by using scenery instead?

• RMweb Gold

That's great. I will be making a module after spring bank holiday. Metric measurements would help those of us who were never taught "proper" weights and measures.

Is it ok to make the front an embankment? Keeping the track height correct but using an open frame construction, making the front rail smaller by using scenery instead?

As long as you make your two bridges the same length, they can be measured in inches, millimeters or gnat's whatsits. :D

The 4" (101.6mm) was a nominal length to give enough scope for taking up any variation in height between modules, without becoming too unstable.

Also, as long as the track is in the 'right' place, you can do whatever you like with the rest of the scenery - pretty Devonshire hillsides, urban grot, Hall of the Mountain King, Dark side of the Mooon, Discworld, Hogwarts, even Nutwood.

Stu

This may help

All converted to foreign measurements (Man was put on the moon with Feet, Inches, Pounds, and Ounces :blink: )

bridges.gif

clearance_diagram.gif

I think its correct (Maybe someone could check)

Hope it helps ;)

As long as you make your two bridges the same length, they can be measured in inches, millimeters or gnat's whatsits. :D

Now, would that be the European or the African gnat ???? ;)

An advantage of the modules being independent and linked by the bridges is that the distances to the inter module track does not have to be accurate. The bridges give a small amount of flex in both vertical and horizontal directions. Also I guess the module/table could also be moved slightly.

However, as I see the join to the bridge being the most problematic and having the potential for derailing through trains I would have erred on the side of precaution by requiring "walls"

The 4" (101.6mm) was a nominal length to give enough scope for taking up any variation in height between modules, without becoming too unstable.

Also, as long as the track is in the 'right' place, you can do whatever you like with the rest of the scenery - pretty Devonshire hillsides, urban grot, Hall of the Mountain King, Dark side of the Mooon, Discworld, Hogwarts, even Nutwood.

Stu

Great, so that'll be a bit of all of the above then...

• RMweb Gold

Does this mean that His Stationmasterishness will actually be potentially producing a potential podule?! ;) :D

There is potentially such a possibility however it is potentially probably unlikely that it will incorporate a pasty mine so you potentially won't be getting any of these cool.gif as they are outwith the potential specification (and were fresh from Mrs Stationmaster's kitchen at 12.00ish this very day).

post-6859-0-98753000-1303996720_thumb.jpg

There is potentially such a possibility however it is potentially probably unlikely that it will incorporate a pasty mine so you potentially won't be getting any of these cool.gif as they are outwith the potential specification (and were fresh from Mrs Stationmaster's kitchen at 12.00ish this very day).

Why do I suddenly feel very hungry??? Posting pictures like that one is very cruel!:angry: :angry: :angry:

• RMweb Gold

An official Kernow governmental spokesperson would neither confirm nor deny that the potentiality of the probable Stationmistressish pasty would or would not cause drooling or not, as the case may be (or may not be) within or without Kernow Governmental circles... ;) :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although not currently modelling in 00/4mm I used to therefore have a fair bit of 4mm items I can use here. Only just catching up with this thread so three newbie to the topic queries:-

1) I've probably missed something somewhere but is there a target date/venue for completion/display of any module you may decide to build, for example the 2012 SWAG Member's Day? Edited Now found this thread giving the target as Taunton 2012 - revised query - is the date set for that yet?

2) The 20" x 11" x 11" challenge dimensions will be one inch undersize in either the length or width for a SWAG module but as a SWAG area based modeller if I do have time to make something extra in 4mm it would be nice if after the close of the 2011 challenge it can then be eligible as a SWAG module. Provided any 2011 challenge diorama has the front track laid 3" back from the edge would it then be acceptable to fit a 1" x 4" by 20" plain strip to the front to bring the 11" max of the challenge width out to the 12" minimum width/track spacing of a SWAG module?

3) Any stipulation on finish for the publicly visible front and end edges -i.e matt black paint, gloss varnished timber, or?

Hi John New

Great idea to "convert" your 2011 challenge diorama in to a SWAG Module. Fitting that extra 1" x 4" piece to the front will be fine as far as I can see, As for the finish on the public side, that can be anything you choose B)

The big day is Sunday 29th April 2012 again at the Staplegrove Village Hall. ( Note for Captain K. We need another 20" for the modules now please :lol: )

Great to have another module aboard ;)

• RMweb Gold

John,

Further to what Tigger has said, if you want to make your 2011 Challenge module fit the SWAG criteria, don't worry about making the extra 1" x 20" piece( unless you really want to) - the module sizes are effectively there so any public display of modules enables a fairly uniform look to the overall whole layout (i.e. they would all line up along the front edges).

Provided your module fits the track dimensions (height = 4", spacing between = 2") then it will fit in with the rest. Don't forget you'll need to make the 4" bridges for connecting to the next module - so the note to the Captain is we'll need an extra 24" of space (not that we've actually agreed any space as yet...).

Cheers

Stu

Archived