A couple of "dark-side" layouts for you

shortliner

...and some urban/waterfront/Bronx modelling - my only comment is that it may be a little too clean - but beautifully done none-the-less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIo6Wygzqz8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9GE8koo_J4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UT9JvGS15Q&feature=BFa&list=ULpjX6SSO3_n0&index=1

Thanks for posting Jack. Only watched the first two.

The train speed and smoothness looked super on the BN one, whilst the CSX layout was incredible. Triple deck as well. I liked the views around the layout especially the autoracks being unloaded.

Will watch the rest later.

Paul

...and some urban/waterfront/Bronx modelling - my only comment is that it may be a little too clean - but beautifully done none-the-less

The guy does do some very good modeling.

However, I lived in the Bronx for a while in the mid-1980s, and while that seems to be 3 decades after the period of his, something just seemed a bit off (I mean, the opening view in the last video under the El was pretty cool and all) - but initially it just didn't feel right - and then - BAM!, focus in on the 5 & 6 story apartment buildings (w/ the wash hanging on the clothes-lines in the back) - now that's the BRONX! (and upper Manhattan too). Zoom around the Bronx, even today on Bing, I mean, yes, the Bronx commercial streets have 'taxpayers' (1 & 2 story retail/professional buildings), yes the Bronx has block and blocks of semi-attached houses (Kingsbridge, Baychester, Woodlawn, Throgs Neck (hey, Terry! - Heh, I bet she's long moved out), ), big institutions in Federal, Gothic, Brutalist and Neo-romantic styles, huge multi-story apartment towers, both wealthy and... not so wealthy, parks big & small, and so on...but one constant across the Bronx neighborhoods is the 5-7 story apartment buildings....

Alright, I hedged a bit - there's an area in the East Bronx, East of the Bruckner - I knew somebody who lived there - they claimed the area was called Country Club, and yes, as the name implied a fairly wealthy area - there the apartment buildings were banished to the very edges.

(there is no dark side of American model railroading, really - matter of fact, it's all dark)

... for when you have nothing better to do

Is this that thing called "Spare Time"..?? :unsure:

I've heard of it.... <_< :P :lol:

The first video is great - "Hope you like Covered Wagons", he says at the start.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I must admit, seeing the second, Multi-level layout 'for real' so to speak, instead of in carefully cropped MR-style pictures, that I wouldn't be so keen to own one myself - note the guy at 4:12 - having to bend to get a decent view of the lower level... my back just wouldn't stand it. :blink:

Also, if it needs so many locos and cars to cover operations, what do you do when you only have half-an-hour or so free to do a bit of running..?

If this is what most American modellers are taught to aspire to as 'ideal', you can see why Lance Mindheim's ideas have been seen as somewhat revolutionary... ;)

i liked The Bronx one a lot - but if it had been slightly smaller then he may have spent more time on weathering the details - and yes there are parts of The Bronx that are quite nice, besides it is also the home of my most favourite Zoo in the World (and I don't like Zoos).

The CSX one left me rather cold - it presumably is an "Operational Model" by the bits of paper hanging off everything! I'll watch the others later.

Best, Pete.

i liked The Bronx one a lot - but if it had been slightly smaller then he may have spent more time on weathering the details

Dude, your location says New York - clearly you know big layouts are the thing around these parts (Model Railroader magazine ran some articles recently to show you can have a decent layout within a 4x8ft board - I shudder to think what the average American model railroader would do with a 2011 sq inch challenge - go with Z scale, I suppose) :lol: .

That said, I rewatched the Bronx layout video again, and I think the Bronx- modeling guy (apparently lviing in Missouri) did a pretty good job with detailing and weatering I think - for example, those street surfaces near the 'archelogoical dig' match perfectlly with many real ones I saw in the Bronx. I didn't even see any shiny people figures (all looked nicely dull-coated, which is important as 'Shiny Happy People' is only a REM song, not literal) - he did suffer from the too-shiny car model syndrom (which I do too, a bit), but I still haven't hit upon a way to semi-gloss a model vehicle without disassembling (or masking) it and spray-boming/air-brushing it. Still, a very good job I think on his part.

If you must bust his chops for something, then while the layout is set in Fall 1959 according to his YouTube notes, he's running 'Redbirds' (looks like the Lifelike Proto1000 R-17s) on his subway/el - the redbird paint scheme came into being in the 1980s as a Graffiti fighting scheme. (Also, his 10th Ave subway station is a bit of a puzzler -10th Ave itself doesn't leave Manhattan, and S. 10th Ave is more or less in Westchester county (on the northern Bronx border).

And finally, why did those 6 story apartment buildings looks so right? Because he notes he modeled them on one he grew up in...

"Dude"

If we're both in New York, then there's no need to quote Dude - you know as well as I do its a standard saluation, along with Yo!, and Hey. Man!.

How does "I liked The Bronx one a lot" equal "busting his chops"?

Clearly I was using the Royal 'You' for that, meaning any person in general, as for example when the The Guardian points out the excessive building/ground-cover gaps on Queen Elizabeth's N-Scale Great Western layout, and she replies "Oi! You - get stuffed!:" Nothing personal, you see.

And don't call me Shirley.

Sorry. I just picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue...*

*Hopefully somebody can speak Jive on this board

Archived