Unknown decoder address

bayesianbob

I'm pretty new to this, so I need some help. I recently bought a Fleischmann Desiro DMU fitted with an ESU Loksound chip off Ebay (no comments on that please). CV1 on the decoder hasn't been set back to 3, and nobody seems to know what address it has been set to. The original programmer isn't with us any more, hence the Ebay sale. Is there any way of forcing it back to factory defaults or finding the address? I'm using a Multimaus.

Your chip may be set to Long Addressing CV29 bit 5 set on 1. This means the address current is stored at CVs 18 and 19.

Reset CV29 bit 5 to 0 (the current setting minus 32) and set CV1 to address 3 and all should be well.

I'm not sure how this is done on a Multimaus, but the above should help.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I'm no expert, but I'm fairly sure you don't need to address a loco to change it's address. I seem to recall inadvertently setting 2 locos at once because they were both on the layout, and I hadn't switched the rest of the layout off.

• Like 1

You do not need to know the current address to change CVs in in service mode, only operations mode (on the main). If changing the address it is always better to do it in service mode (on the programming track) rather than in operations mode as some decoders will not let you change the address on the main.

Sometimes, 'not reading back' whilst programming can be an advantage 8-)

As Suzie said, using the Multimaus in its normal programming mode; Menu>Pgm>CV>1>x

will give address x into CV1. If the loco had possibly been used on a 4-digit address, then

its advisable to re-write CV29 BEFORE writing CV-1 etc ( in this case CV29 = default 6, in place of 38 used for 4-digit addressing ). Resetting an ESU sound decoder with CV8=8 is not always advisable, as some pre-programmed (UK sound decoders) used not to have the new CV values saved as 'defaults' .... check first.

A useful alternative, frequently mentioned, is to use a SPROG and Decoder Pro s/w saving all to a computer to keep a record.

With my Multimaus-based setup; my Pgm track is part of the main layout (to allow UNITS to be programed easily) ... and I have separate switches to isolate other areas of the layout {power districts / sub districts}. I have occasionally reprogrammed a number of locos simultaneously when forgetting to turn-off a section 8-( ... and my Pgm track is duplicated with a similar Narrow Gauge section which I need to check is empty !!

• 9 years later...

My gaugemaster will not read my loco's address - what can I do? the loco does move along the prog track a little bit, which I assume means the decoder is working? I just cn't get it to run on the main track, and should the main track always say main track Prog? I can't seem to get the main track to just say main track. (Gaugemaster Prodigy advance)

6 hours ago, R300AML said:

My gaugemaster will not read my loco's address - what can I do? the loco does move along the prog track a little bit, which I assume means the decoder is working? I just cn't get it to run on the main track, and should the main track always say main track Prog? I can't seem to get the main track to just say main track. (Gaugemaster Prodigy advance)

Hi,

This must be the 3rd or 4th post I've seen today. You really need to be much more precise in your questions before you will get any meaningful answers.

For example detail each step and tell us what you see on the screen of the Prodigy Handset.

Something like:

Put loco on track (which loco?)

Select programming track on Prodigy

Read back CV1

Get message on screen

I'm not familiar with the Prodigy, but many on here are and with you providing detailed step by step instructions they'll be able to help.

Regards,

John P