Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Ok, this evening's task is to install a socket at the far end of the layout for a controller and a plug/socket with a small box on switches so one of can run the trains from that end. We have found that when we are both, my son and I, running the layout, we have one of us sorting the cassettes/loading and unloading with the other running the trains it works really well but we are on top of each other. With a socket at the far end, the driver can be that end with a good view along the layout for controlling the dwarf crews. Being able to operate like this obviously depends on our location at each show but gives us a great alternative. 

best wishes

Simon

• Like 2

Well, the wiring part is eventually sorted, too knackered now to test it so will try it out tomorrow evening, fingers crossed for success, better not keep them crossed til then, using the band saw at work with crossed fingers would not be good!

Best wishes

Simon

I have now replaced the accessory switch on the points motor for the run around as some of the locos were stalling on the frog at the weened, this seems to be much better and also checked the other stuff and WAHAY it all works!!!

Best wishes

Simon

• 1 month later...

We had a great day yesterday down in sunny Bridport. a great little show and very friendly. The layout seemed to be well received as usual. 

I have been working on more trees for the layout and will take a few piccies to post later when the later is unpacked and set up once more, too knackered last night to contemplate setting it up again. everything seemed to run ok despite the heat in the room with significant issues to sort, result!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

beat me to it, yes, the Hobbits will be at the Taunton sow in a few weeks time. We had a great day today, lots of great comments and chats, shame the room was so hot!

Love the piccies Richard, look even better on the bigger screen than yer phone earlier and yes, I have downloaded that app!

Best wishes

Simon

Edited by bridgiesimon

I have recently acquired a bargain from a certain online sales site, a box of bogie log carrying wagons and spines which were sold as n gauge but will be perfect for the Hobbits so will be revamped into a couple of rakes ready for the Taunton show, hopefully! There are enough wagons for loaded and empty trains - 21 bogie wagons for £34.95 - Bargain!!

I will spread them on the table and take a piccie to post here later.

Best wishes

Simon

I have decided to start with the 3 longer wagons with the really large log loads. The loads are all the same but I will weather/shade them differently to give a different finish and maybe add a branch detail to change them a bit. Anyway, the bogies are all now painted and weathered and I am working over the wooden wagons weathering them as well. 

post-3347-0-40841700-1475252121.jpg

Just got the steelwork on the cross members to paint followed by couplings and the loads.

By the way, I work with Adults with Autism in a woodwork workshop and have just finished the following with one of my guys - 

post-3347-0-09500800-1475252128.jpg

He is well happy with it, I know there is no con rods etc but we have to keep things achievable!

best wishes

Simon

• Like 16

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

my own thread and I l=missed those additions, apologies Richard, they are great!!!

An evening of wheel cleaning and layout fettling ahead before packing up in the morning for  trek over to Woking for the REC show 2017 - 

http://www.rec-farnborough.org.uk/exhibition.html

Looking forward to another weekend playing trains, maybe see some of you there!

Best wishes

simon

• RMweb Gold

I have decided to start with the 3 longer wagons with the really large log loads. The loads are all the same but I will weather/shade them differently to give a different finish and maybe add a branch detail to change them a bit. Anyway, the bogies are all now painted and weathered and I am working over the wooden wagons weathering them as well. 

attachicon.gifLog wagons.jpg

Just got the steelwork on the cross members to paint followed by couplings and the loads.

By the way, I work with Adults with Autism in a woodwork workshop and have just finished the following with one of my guys - 

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20160927_163603_resized (640x480).jpg

He is well happy with it, I know there is no con rods etc but we have to keep things achievable!

best wishes

Simon

It's got decent coal in the bunker, which is more than some of my so called scale locos have...

• 5 months later...

Hi Simon!

I know your layout almost from the beginning, but I'm only recently in the forum active.

That's why I wanted to tell you how much I like your work!

I like `Lord of the rings´ and especially the Shire and Hobbits - but I would not have come up with the idea to integrate a railroad there...

Great! And a really nice small layout with a beautiful atmosphere!

Best regards, Thomas

Thank you for the kind comments, most appreciated.

We have loved working through this project and still really enjoy the layout no that it is set up in its new home although disappointingly we have only one show booked for it at the moment - 

Uckfield October 20-21st this year!

But the big news is that later this year we will be appearing in the Railway Modeller!! Really excited about this one

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 4