Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Julian obviously hasn't taken in the fact that ALL Model layouts are Fantasy - even his UK ones and above all , his "Yard 6" (which I love). They ALL require a suspension of disbelief!

......and just to add to the confusion, and probably his displeasure (since this is a "trains" thread)- I found this on FB this morning in the 1:87 vehicles thread

post-6688-0-63871900-1539341362.jpg

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Someone, somewhere, had a layout article published that featured a 'Police Box', a 'dandy', and a bright yellow vintage care - all in close proximity.  I've seen a couple of club's  layouts that were 'run of the mill' but where elements of fun (and fantasy) could be found.  Examples:

St. Casper's Church - with a friendly, yet odd, looking figure sat on the roof waving;

Stone circle with hints of Dennis Wheatley; and

a baggage car with distinctly 'x-files' feel to it.

Regards,

Alex.

Pengwyn Crossing (Railway of the Month in RM back in the 90s) featured a scratch-built penguin crossing the railway via the road bridge. If I remember right, it was described as “the only item of silliness allowed on the layout” by its builder.

Certainly made a change from the ubiquitous bus...

One of my early layouts had an overscale gorilla hiding in the trees adjacent to the line, with a bemused looking white hunter figure looking the wrong way. My current build will have three old foggies from "Last of the Summer Wine" somewhere on it. Many layouts to be seen at exhibitions have some little scenario that can be easily passed over. Indeed, my wife admits that the layouts don't interest her but she enjoys spotting these cameos.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

While living in another part of the country I joined the local club, where some of the figures on the layout bore more than a passing resemblance to the members.  Other little cameos across the layouts tended to bring smiles to the more observant.

Regards,

Alex.

I must admit I did question whether it should be in Railway Modeller.

But I guess it doesn't fit Continental Modeller either, and there isn't (yet?) a Middle Earth Modeller. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed the article, and am looking forward to seeing the layout at Uckfield!

• RMweb Premium

But I guess it doesn't fit Continental Modeller either, and there isn't (yet?) a Middle Earth Modeller. :)

Anyway, I enjoyed the article, and am looking forward to seeing the layout at Uckfield!

Middle Earth Modeller ..... hmmn, that'll be 'White Dwarf' you're looking for.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of rail traffic featured (other than the occasional Dwarven wagonway).

Edited by Alex TM

Did you get there? We had a great weekend despite several issues on the Saturday, much better on the Sunday and then was voted joint runner up Best In Show by the public! Excellent end to a great weekend.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 3

Did you get there? We had a great weekend despite several issues on the Saturday, much better on the Sunday and then was voted joint runner up Best In Show by the public! Excellent end to a great weekend.

Best wishes

Simon

Yes - Saturday morning, which was pretty crowded so not the best time. Made it tricky to photograph too. 

45480232561_e40769b00a_c.jpgIMG_5853 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

43663113920_163da180a9_c.jpgIMG_5855 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

43663110390_2457d38319_c.jpgIMG_5854 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

44566404055_eb81570f69_c.jpgIMG_5860 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

Some photos of the layouts here if anyone is interested.

Well done on joint best-in-show - there was a fantastic selection of high-quality layouts there, so that is a real achievement. And it puts the views of one person into perspective!

Edited by mjcampbell
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the new Railway Modeller today and found this little jem - 

attachicon.gifthumbnail_20181010_211213_resized.jpg

interesting opinion to discuss.

Best wishes

Simon

Not sure where this person is coming from, Hobbiton End is a breath of fresh air compared to the usual array of very similar layouts we see in magazines nowdays. 

Railway modelling can be anything you make it and the modelling, skill and creativity shown by Hobbiton End is beyond any of the usual layouts seen at shows.

Don't really understand the youth comment too, Lord of the Rings has been out since 1954 so it isn't like it's anything new  :scratchhead:

Best to ignore these comments though, for every naysayer they'll be a huge throng of people who are amazed by these fantasy/sci fi layouts  :sungum:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Serious lack of updated recently, my wife has not been well for a while and has meant I have, correctly, spent time helping to get her on the road to recovery rather than model making. Now that she is defo on the right road, I am hoping that the new year will see a few developments.

Best wishes

Simon

Pengwyn Crossing (Railway of the Month in RM back in the 90s) featured a scratch-built penguin crossing the railway via the road bridge. If I remember right, it was described as “the only item of silliness allowed on the layout” by its builder.

Tortuga,

It does and still does.

You'll be able to see it at the Calne 2019 show on Jan 19 & 20 2019 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139518-calne-model-rail-show-19-20-january-2019/ 

Regards

Neal.

• 2 years later...

Thoroughly enjoying rereading this topic, Simon! Hobbiton beautifully modelled! About 10 years ago, I produced a small diorama of Bag End, based in a Games Workshop Middle Earth set my daughter purchased. A little bit of fantasy always lifts our spirits!

Edited by Marly51
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2018 at 23:24, Tortuga said:

I made that Penguin for Ian. From memory how it was printed in RM was something like  “the only item of silliness allowed on the layout. Clive Mortimore"....turn the page..."built the crew bus......."

There were a few other little things that were not obvious, the works was opened in 1984 or thereabouts, according to the plague on the front of the building.  Lucy, Ian's then cat, was on the platform as she seemed to get everywhere. The track workers in the crewbus are playing cards, it is their lunch break.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hobbiton End will be out and about once more on Saturday 24th September in Compton Dundon at the village hall for the Small and Delightful all Narrow Gauge show. Open 10 - 4.

So, as the layout has not really been used much for a while, it is now part way through a tidy up and sorting out including extending the head shunt, re painting all the rock faces, replacing the main large tree and general tarting up.

Piccies to follow soon.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

General tarting up now means it has gone over to see Dr Russ the electro wizz to get it sorted out lol!

So now that the layout is out of my hands for  bit, attention has turned to constructing a replacement large tree for the centre of the layout as the previous one was looking a little tatty.

Will sort piccies as well. 

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1