Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

• 2 weeks later...

Busy times are continuing, I have been detailing one of the sets of hobbit holes for towards the rear of the layout. It has been made up on a separate base to be built inot the scene later so that I could detail it easily on the desk instead of trying to lean over the layout to do it.

I am rather please with the result -

post-3347-0-06879500-1361476428.jpg

post-3347-0-70664900-1361476437.jpg

Just need to try and keep to at least the same level of detail over the rest of hte layout.

Simon

• Like 9

I have been into my local model shop in Bridgwater station today and have found a new scenics range they stock -

http://www.flower-soft.co.uk/Cart/EC-Categories.php?PRICategoryID=67

this is a range of most excellent fine foam 'flower material' siumilar to woodland scenics but in a massive range of different colours. £3.50 per pot, yes a screw top pot to store it in as supplied!!

As mentioned I got mine from -

http://www.modelrailwayslimited.com/

I am lloking forward to giving it a go before returning to buy a selection of colours to give me a rgeat range of flowers for the layout.

Anyway time to stop soon and go to watcht he rugby instead!!

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!

Simon

Next hobbit hole is nearing completion, also complete with a little interior detail (lit) and a garden full of very cool plants courtesy of Busch!

post-3347-0-62581100-1362695963.jpg

And from above to show the interior, only minimally detailed as the only view point will be through the front door!

post-3347-0-24825300-1362695951.jpg

I aim to construct the storage yard board at work next week, now that the board connectors and adjustable feet have arrived!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 4

Simon,

lovely work. I had lost track of your thread for some time now and am very impressed with your progress.

I will make sure I press the 'follow' button to see more.

I am very impressed with the way the dwarves worked out as engine drivers. A suitable occupation aligned with their interest in crafting in metals and smithying.

How are you doing with backstory and naming? I like the signage for the pipeweed store.

Will you add signposts with runes or Anglicised text? Is the layout name still 'Hobbiton End'?

Keep up the great work. Good luck and best wishes for July 27 in Barnstaple.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Thanks for the positive comments,

Backstory will be put together at a later stage, not thought about it but it is on the list, Hobbiton End is still the name I will be using. I like the idea of signs with runes, will look into that and get some togetehr, thanks for that!

Simon

• Like 2

I have managed, between attacks of the dreaded lurgey, had to cancel exhibiting my other layout yesterday I was so ill!! I have completed the scenics on the last, for now, hobbit hole.

post-3347-0-03003700-1362963748.jpg

My wife has also solved a problem of my scenics jars for me, what a hero! After visiting the local poundland in Bridgwater, she told me they are stocking different sized boxed with clip on lids very cheaply, small ones 3"x2"x1" deep 3 for a £1! and medium ones 6"x6"x2" deep 2 for a £1 so for less than £15 all my scenics are in their new homes with the item details written on the lids in permanent marker. The med boxes are large enough for a pack of Woodland scenics flock for example so are ideal and they stack as well -

post-3347-0-57941200-1362963734.jpg

Usual disclaimer, no business connection just a happy customer hoping they restock soon so I can get more!!

Next job is to sort out the storage board so the trackwork can be completed and wired in fully.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 5

Mega development over the last few evenings, most of the polystyrene structure work is now completed, a couple of the buildings are only loosely fitted at the moment as I need to finish wiring in the lights before fixing them in.

post-3347-0-21622400-1363302632.jpg

I think that the overall balance seems to be getting towards the look I was hoping for, the hills are lower than I had planned but this works better as the slopes are now shallower which works better for the pathways etc.

• Like 5

I love the idea that I am getting the layout to look realistic!

I will try taking some piccies from the end in a bit to show you how the scenery rises up from the front towards the rear of the layout , sorry no go, the house got in the way! I need to take the layout to work next week to build the storage yard so will take some there where I will have some space.

best wishes and once again, thanks for the kind comments.

Simon

• 1 month later...

Ages since an update so here goes, work getting in the way agin but some development has been completed -

All the building are lit as you can see below, this was taken before I finished the scenery over the right hand side house hense the drastic light leakage!!! -

post-3347-0-66682500-1366141319.jpg

Not a great piccie, taken on my phone!

I have now built a storage yard board complete with shelves for the cassettes I will be using for train selection and storage, next job is to lay the track and finish the cassettes themselves.

post-3347-0-93936300-1366141399.jpg

Not a great piccie, taken on my phone!

Most the scenery is now plastered, the only 2 sections not done are to the left of the station building which is waiting for a flickering LED fireplace unit to be fitted, and the area above the tunnel which will be fixed and blended in when the track onto the storage board is finished.

My son and I painted all the plaster green this evening, white bits are the rock faces and pathways ready for different colours, what a difference a pot of green paint makes to the layout visually, it is really starting to look like a lump of countryside at last!

post-3347-0-15572300-1366140847.jpg

I am now working on stitching together a suitable large image for the sky backscene

Ok, better get on with it then.

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 2