Hobbiton End

bridgiesimon

Will the station sign be multilingual? :)

attachicon.gifnames.png

Nice fonts David!

I won't presume to offer advice on your Tengwar version. Is there an Angerthas Moria font?

Dangerous territory here. In this instance, rabid Tolkien fans might be worse than smelly rivet-counting anoraks, rucksacks and all.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Will you add signposts with runes or Anglicised text? Is the layout name still 'Hobbiton End'?

I like the idea of signs with runes, will look into that and get some togetehr, thanks for that!

Will the station sign be multilingual? :)

attachicon.gifnames.png

On the thorny topic of signage, one of Tolkien's own illustrations for (the second British?) edition of The Hobbit contains a colour illustration labelled "The Hill: Hobbiton-across-the Water". This was recently reprinted in "The Art of the Hobbit".

In it (at the bottom left) you see a very English white-painted signpost with regular block capitals - though the caption is in a celtic letter form much like David's illustration above.

I really do like the idea of runes, though they are a bit of a minefield. The runes used in The Hobbit are different from those used in The Lord Of the Rings, and while simpler, you still have to watch out for tricky letters like "nd" which is one single rune.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Nice fonts David!

I won't presume to offer advice on your Tengwar version. Is there an Angerthas Moria font?

Yes there is an Angerthas Moria font. The first font in the image is called Kelt (very similar to the font used in the movies), the Elvish one is Tengwar Annatar and the Khuzdul one is called Dwarf Runes. The graphic is simply the words Hobbiton End in each font. I can't claim the phonetics are correct for Tengwar or Khuzdul, it was just an example. All these fonts are free so do some searching.

The "English" words in illustrations and signs are presented as being translations of the Mannish language Westron or Common Speech. Hobbitish is a sub-dialect of Westron and names are presumed to have been translated. For example Meriadoc Brandybuck's actual name in Hobbitish is Kalimac Brandagamba.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ages since the last update, not too much to report though, I have been playing around with Dapol auto couplers and have decided to fit them to the stock, beyond that, I have been trying to design and concentrate on the stock, a couple of additional locomotives on the go and a few ideas for the coaches.

The storage yard is now fited with the track and cassette connection system, if you can call it that, and all works. I have also built a batch of cassettes which now require track added to complete.

Still trying to decide how to ballast the track, I have plastered over and cleared a setcion of track on a short board and decided it looks rubbish so that is out, the next trial will be with deep ballasting with sand to see what that looks like. I am aware of the ballast requirements and issues but want something that does not really look like standard railway track from somewhere around here, if you kow what i mean!

I also have a sky backscene all printed out ready for fitting before much more scenic work can be completed.

I will add a few piccies soon.

Anyway

best wishes

Simon

Still trying to decide how to ballast the track, ... but want something that does not really look like standard railway track from somewhere around here, if you kow what i mean!

would the track of a railway built by miners not be ballasted with mining spoil?

Simon,

Since I'm guessing 'rustic' is what you are looking for, how about some larger aggregate (like small rough pebbles mixed in) with regular ballast?

Hobbits and dwarves are small, so something about twice the normal scale would be appropriate anyway.

Sounds like a good idea, maybe going more chunky with the ballast could work, I will try it on a test piece. Love the link artizan, especially the yellow brick road, very novel!!!

I have been building my next loco -

post-3347-0-91675000-1368126836.jpg

post-3347-0-51900100-1368126846.jpg

You may be able to see that there is actually a Dapol terrier under there somewhere! I am going to add strips of plasticard under teh boiler to smooth out where the Terrier is I think.

post-3347-0-57520100-1368126857.jpg

Haivng the terrier at the front is ideal as I have access to the front NEM coupling pocket for the Dapol coupler to clip into, I have ordered a pack of the boxes and the mounting jig available to fit the other coupling onto the tender.

More detail needed then paint, weathering, coal and a crew required but I am rather pleased with this so far.

Simon

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Great work Simon!

Are you going to add a few 'jewels / gold' to the ballast?

Is the loco going to be coal or wood burner? I would have thought that a wood burner would be more appropriate as all the mines would be gold / silver as the Dwarves would not want be mining the 'black-stuff'!

I have been wondering the same myself, none of the tenders on the locos are loaded yet so still time to go for a wood burner,

Just a mention to anybody int he area, I know I hav mentioned it before but the ayouts first show is linked from Mudmagnets post - Barnstaple model Railway Exhibition July 27th!!!!

Simon

• Like 1

Is the loco going to be coal or wood burner? I would have thought that a wood burner would be more appropriate as all the mines would be gold / silver as the Dwarves would not want be mining the 'black-stuff'!

I have been wondering the same myself, none of the tenders on the locos are loaded yet so still time to go for a wood burner.

I think given Meriadoc the Magnificent's experiences he would find burning copious amounts of wood for the railway a bit sacrilegious. As much as Dwarves prefer to mine metals and gems they certainly mine coal for their smithies. The house of Durin might think it beneath them, but in a dour spirit of 'someone's got to do it...'

Big plans for today, I have already been sanding down the sides for the storage cassettes so will be assembling those, I aim to also get the airbrush going for the loco and aim to cut and add the backscene as well.

I have just been running my previous locos to find that I have already added coal to the tender of the first model I built so will probably stick to coal power, memory is a wierd thing!

I have also been thinking about coaching stock again and have some sketches for short 4 wheel coaches with side facing seating as well as the more traditional style. Open coaches for the biggers and then some Hobbit/Dwarf sized closed coaches as well. Still having an issue finding suitable sitting figures, may end up having to some conversions which will be time consuming,that is the problem with the war gaming ranges, not many figures sitting around a battle field!!!

Will update later.

Simon

• Like 1

Ok, some of the big plans have been developed, some not.

I have not got the airbrush out for the little tankie yet, hope to have a go at that later though.

Firstly the backscene, 2 versions to choose from, only blutaced into place for selection at the momen, I think I prefer the blue hazy on ,myself but interested in others opinion as well.

The Summer Day

post-3347-0-70590400-1368377488.jpg

The Cloudy Day

post-3347-0-24658400-1368377499.jpg

The other little project I have been working on yesterday and today is a little vertical boilered tram/loco/thingy um, er.. not sure how to describe it -

post-3347-0-45205600-1368377514.jpg

It is built out of stripwood and plasticard with a fleischmann chassis underneath. I have to finish the roof and then paint a driver. The original loco had a metal body and so to balance the weight, I have a white metal driver to add which balances it quite well. The paper, tarpaulin sides will be glued on properly after they are painted and weathered so that is why they do not look that well fitted.

Anyway, more to do.

best wishes

Simon

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I think given Meriadoc the Magnificent's experiences he would find burning copious amounts of wood for the railway a bit sacrilegious. As much as Dwarves prefer to mine metals and gems they certainly mine coal for their smithies. The house of Durin might think it beneath them, but in a dour spirit of 'someone's got to do it...'

What would a wagon-load of mithril look like I wonder...?!

Loving this project, and my daughters are both LOTR and TH fans so are looking forward to the appearance of the main players :yes:  ;)

David

Firstly the backscene, 2 versions to choose from, only blutaced into place for selection at the momen, I think I prefer the blue hazy on ,myself but interested in others opinion as well.

I like your rendering of the cloudy day slightly better. It's always nice to see your progress, thank you for sharing.

I am now well on with my least favourite job, ballasting!!

Looking ok so far though will need weathering down quite a lot!

post-3347-0-86785700-1368903433.jpg

(piccie very pale but was taken on my phone)

Not wetted or glued yet though, still dry. I am stopping for a break before getting the mini sprayer out to wet it and dribble the glue mix everywhere. I have just nicked a small sprayer bottle from my wife and emptied the remains of her glass cleaning spray stuff to use the bottle as it sprays a superb fine mist, ideal!!

Simon

• Like 5

Quick update, all rthe ballastin is now completed, glued, rock hard and ready for the airbrush.

The blue Dapol pugerrier is progressing well, now with a coat of paint, a driver and coal in the tender. Just requires couplings and some finishing details like a shovel!!

post-3347-0-46127700-1369332027.jpg

Also in the background can be seen the vertical boilered thingy now that the canvas sides and rof are fixed and weathered, this now requires a driver, coaling, couplings and then when I know where the couplings go, some buffer beams.

I am now working on the pathways around the layout, paint went wrong massively, the paint I had was too orange and so when lightening it for highlights just looked like a pile of poo!!!

I am now gluing a layer of sharp sand over them giving a variation of partical sizes for a much better look which will then be painted when I acquire some more games workshop paints, runnning very low and they cost enough without paying for postage as well!

have also been looking at that web based selling place thingy for suitable trees and have found a couple of suppliers at very good prices, I think they will require playing around with before use but at teh price they are, it will be well worth it. No source for sensible priced mega large trees though, I will have to make them myself I think as I want at least 3-4 which are at least 200mm high, unless anybody knows of a source I am not aware of?

Anyway, more to follow

Simon

• Like 4

Decided to have a go my self so with the acquisition of a roll of garden wire and a few hours measuring, cutting it into lengths and then twisting piles together I have made up my first couple of tree skeletons. I will now, well next time anyway, smear the trunks and branches with filler before spraying and adding foilage.

post-3347-0-96948500-1369436264.jpg

(Note to self, ensure wagons are ont he track before taking piccies - Do'h!!!)

post-3347-0-40050900-1369436276.jpg

Am rather pleased with the progress so far!

Also visible in the piccie is the start of the work on the pathways with the sand mix, all glued down now ready for paint. Tomorrow is for my other layout, Polpendra, as I have an exhibition on Sunday in Bideford for anyone in the area, should be a good show and for charity so no excuses peoples!!!

Best wishes

Simon

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, have had a couple days off work, WAHAY, so I have been getting on with the layout. The track is now fully ballasted and weathered, all the scenic plaster work is also now completed and I have just finished painting the rock faces, lots of shades of grey, not quite 50 though!

I have tried to take some piccies but they looked rubbish so will try again tomorrow and post them then. I am hoping to get on with some proper scenic work tomorrow starting at the back and moving forward as I go so I am not leaning over the work I have just completed. As before, I will take piccies adn update as it develops.

I have also been looking at the rune situation and have decided that as it is such a minefield, whatever i do, someone will not like it so will be going for a suitable 'English' text similar to the first example David mentioned in his post (#98). Maybe doing it in gold lettering on the black background of the lighting pelmet when it is built - something I am not planning on building for the first show, I have exhibited there before with my other layout and know that the venue is light and so not a massive disadvantage.

best wishes

Simon

• Like 2