Layout Plan - Comments and suggestions

David Rickard

I'm getting somewhere with my layout. It's N-Gauge, and I'm using Code 55 for the scenic areas. It's Code 80 in the storage sidings out the back, as I can fit more in!

Here's my current plan (Click to embiggen)

NewPlan_thumb.png

The aim is to have a station, and some sort of depot. It's taking various ideas from bits of the Chiltern Line. Indeed, my depot building will be a scratchbuilt affair, modelled on the Aylesbury depot.

I'm coming to the point of gluing things down properly, and actually committing to a layout. I've so far glued down the curves on the ends, so it's just the middle bit I want to fill in.

Quick explanation: The bluey/purpley shaded sections are ???non-scenic??™. I could turn part of them into scenery, but the right hand side disappears under a shelf, and the left hand side is removable, so it??™s a bit pointless I feel. So basically just the front is the scenic area.

As you can see, there??™s a station area down front, plus the depot up the back. There??™s a small headshunt for the depot. It??™s simple, but I feel it??™s not necessarily making the best of the space available. I can??™t really think how else to do it. The thing is, Code 55 track has very shallow curves on the points; the rear storage sidings are quite tight, but they are Code 80. I want Code 55 in the scenic areas as it looks nicer.

I do have a large expanse of nothingness on the right, which would make for some nice scenery, so I??™m not too worried about it being empty. Not sure what will go there mind!

I??™ll need a couple more points, which I??™ll probably pick up at Warley this weekend. Hopefully this??™ll be the last change, and I??™ll start gluing things down properly!

So, comments and suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks. I might add another crossover at the back to make things a little easier. It'd be nice if the storage sidings were accessible from both ends, but it'll reduce the amount of space I'd have in the sidings.Plus I'm trying to keep that end simple as it's less accessible (the layout is in a corner).

I just wish the curved point was a bit tigher in some respects, or shorter.

I like the plan, Nice and simple...

Ive been to that depot a few times. Will you be modeling the multi story car park as part of the back scene

What size is your layout?

If it helps I use fleischmann piccolo curved points, They flow from R1 to R2 and vise verser on my fiddle on holly oaks TMD. and all my new farish and Dapol stock runs nice over them with out any probs....

I like the plan, Nice and simple...

Ive been to that depot a few times. Will you be modeling the multi story car park as part of the back scene

What size is your layout?

If it helps I use fleischmann piccolo curved points, They flow from R1 to R2 and vise verser on my fiddle on holly oaks TMD. and all my new farish and Dapol stock runs nice over them with out any probs....

I don't know about putting the multi-storey in. I might do though - if it was on the backscene it'd technically be on the wrong side, but I could live with that!

The main scenic area is about 4ft wide, and about 1 1/2 foot deep. Shame so much space is used up on the curves at the end, but then again as I say, they're in areas I either can't model, or won't bother modeling.

I'll look into the Fleischmann points though, thanks for the tip.

If you have single-ended storage sidings then they should face the other way so trains can "terminate" one way in the storage and the other way in the bay.

That never ocurred to me! I might see if I can work in at least one of the sidings being double-ended.

I had to use them as nothing else was around fo me to use at the time.

Heres a link as Ive not added it yet to the new forum

http://www.rmweb.co....php?f=9&t=10675

I remember seeing it on the old forum. Certainly plenty of room for 'operational interest' on that layout ;)

• RMweb Premium

Though I don't knoe the Aylesbury area the suggestion about the depot facing the other way rings true. The other ting that occurs to me is that depot's are always planned on a flow line basis so that arriving trains go thorugh various activities such as toilet emptying, fuelling and cleaning before being stabled. These are usually loop roads though I ahve seen a wash rack on a headshunt (Neville Hill). These activities would also give yu more operational interest if you could plan them in as there would be more reasons for train movements.

Just a thought.

Jamie

Nah, the depot and station are actually oriented the right way to eachother. Trains go through the station into a headshunt, then reverse into the depot.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=sn24g0gxyrd5&scene=11771085&lvl=1&sty=b&eo=1&where1=Aylesbury%2C%20Buckinghamshire

It's actually a slightly odd arrangement - the fuelling sidings at the top are used as a headshunt.

Archived