Kyle of Minogue

Craig Watson

• RMweb Premium

Great pics,

I believe Model Rail 2006 was the layout's 20th and last outing to date, from the display that came with the layout it was listed as having attended the following,

Cathcart, October 1999

Cathcart, October 1991

Cathcart, October 1994

Ayr, September 1995

Greenock, November 1995

Wardlawhill Church Fete, December 1995

Model Rail Scotland, Febuary 1996

Paisley, Nonvember 1997

Wardlawhill 54335 Group, May 1998

Scale Rail New Lanark, May 1999

Pollockshaws, June 1999

Ayr, September 1999

Greenock, November 1999

Scottish Vintage Bus Museum, September 2000

Ayr, September 2000

Cathcart, October 2000

Dunfermline, April 2001

Wardlawhill Church Fete, May 2001

Model Rail Scotland, February 2003

Model Rail Scotland, February 2006

Seeing mention of the exhibitions at Dunfermline and New Lanark brought back some memories too!

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I've now heard back from the custodian of David Kirkwood's photo collection granting me permission to use the layout pictures as I wish I've attached a selection which were originally published on Fotopic below, copyright David Kirkwood collection.

The main pictures of interest show the missing structures, first the engine shed,

post-291-0-73175400-1304934702_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-89710500-1304934814_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-99629900-1304934872_thumb.jpg

A general view of the layout at the 2006 Glasgow show, the missing canal bridge can be seen, I have more pics of the bridge but haven't scanned them yet.

post-291-0-10293300-1304935049_thumb.jpg

Some general pics,

post-291-0-13998600-1304935129_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-31859200-1304935173_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-27587900-1304935381_thumb.jpg

post-291-0-87828600-1304935485_thumb.jpg

I'm planning on getting more wiring checked today then look at ordering plasticard to make a start on replacing the missing bits!!

Cheers

Craig

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Craig,

Great photos and thanks for both posting and continuing the life of a geat model. I remember seeing this layout exhibited (can't remeber where) and I did enjoy the BRM article on it a long time ago. I think, though, looking at your photos that the article didn't do the layout justice (good though it was!) given the photos above. Has the layout changed since the article - I seem to remeber the station area was more cramped in the article (or was it just full of stock?!).

Gus

It is such a shame that the buildings etc. are missing. It is noticed that the parts missing were those that were removable because they covered baseboard joints etc. I know these were kept separately by DK, are the Rutherglen boys sure they don't have a box or something with these items in?

Do you have the backscenes? These were painted by another member of our group, and very fine they were.

Only one other comment from a good long time operating, fixing etc this layout with DK, the only item that looks wrong is the signal box, which is distinctly out of scale and is almost 'O' gauge. You may have to think about replacing this, such a shame as it is still a good model!

• RMweb Premium

Craig,

Great photos and thanks for both posting and continuing the life of a geat model. I remember seeing this layout exhibited (can't remeber where) and I did enjoy the BRM article on it a long time ago. I think, though, looking at your photos that the article didn't do the layout justice (good though it was!) given the photos above. Has the layout changed since the article - I seem to remeber the station area was more cramped in the article (or was it just full of stock?!).

Gus

Hi Gus,

The layout was extended following the article, the goods shed was replaced and other changes carried out.

Cheers

Craig

• RMweb Premium

It is such a shame that the buildings etc. are missing. It is noticed that the parts missing were those that were removable because they covered baseboard joints etc. I know these were kept separately by DK, are the Rutherglen boys sure they don't have a box or something with these items in?

Do you have the backscenes? These were painted by another member of our group, and very fine they were.

Only one other comment from a good long time operating, fixing etc this layout with DK, the only item that looks wrong is the signal box, which is distinctly out of scale and is almost 'O' gauge. You may have to think about replacing this, such a shame as it is still a good model!

The club gave me all the buildings they had (Station, Goods Shed and Canal warehouse), there were no backscenes either.

I did think myself that the signal box was a bit overscale, I will probably look at replacing it at some point.

Cheers

Craig

• 9 years later...

This is a layout with many good points, not least its title.  That obviously still works as I've been reading up on the start of your 'journey' with it, whereas otherwise I may have missed it!  [Although it has to be said, that unless its' well stuffed with elderly 4-4-0s, it isn't really GNoS as far as I'm concerned!  But maybe that's for another day.]  Good luck with the electrics, by the way - other people's wiring can be a bit of a ..... 

I think the scenic work was excellent in its day; much of it still more than passes muster and it reads as if you're aware of what needs doing to bring it up to more recent standards - so more power to your elbow!   And you are quite right, it does need a backscene; hopefully one not quite as bright as its original.  (Did they have fields of rape up there in the 50s?)  

Anyway; always nice to see once-great layouts getting some needed TLC, so my very best wishes to you and lang may y' lum reek!

• Agree 1

Hi Craig

i just came across this thread after being offered it randomly by RMW. Love the name and what a cracking model to be able to take on. Well done you for having the courage to do so.

I’m  very slowly bringing my Waverley Shed layout back to life - for what will be its third iteration, so I appreciate the night mares of resuscitating an existing model!

good luck, and I look forward to following progress!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Seen this layout many times st shows around Scotland . It is indeed very nice with interesting shunting operations . I think I saw it relatively recently even though the bulk of this thread seems to have ended in 2011 . Great title for a layout  if I remember correctly the canal scene and the Midland bus places this very firmly in the Central belt of Scotland 

Edited by Legend

On 28/04/2011 at 10:58, Katier said:

Lovely layout, the picture of the canal bridge had me scratching my head trying to figure what wasn't right.. then realised.. Canal's VERY rarely have waves ( unless a boats going through ) they're usually dead calm. Ok bit nit picky on a layout well above the standards I can dream of achieving - but just made me smile when I realised.

You should see the Gloucester & Sharpness canal when even a moderate wind blows over it.  Yesterday's winds made it look like a fast flowing river.  Waves?  You bet! 

Steve.